The Difference Between Saban And Miles

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I'll say this: Les has a more natural smile...although it can surface at inappropriate times. Sometimes when Saban smiles it looks more like an experiment. :)

They both have a way of launching an avalanche of words when asked a simple question...but Les's diction, like everything else, seems a tad odd, almost like he has several loose marbles rolling around in his mouth while he is talking.

Born2Roll

3rd Team
Oct 8, 2004
Tallahassee, FL
The biggest difference to me is how Saban develops his players. Many said last year that LSU would be even better this year, and Bama would be playing catch up. Instead, Bama is #1 and LSU chasing. I think a lot of people forget that. Saban does a great job of developing and managing his players year round. Miles might put together a good gameplan here and there, but at the end of the day, Saban is far superior in terms of running a program.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
They're both outstanding recruiters and coaches.

The big difference between Les and Saban or any other coach and Saban is that Coach Saban simply prepares his teams for "the big game" better than anyone ever has in my opinion.

Les is allright. He has his quirks but that's what makes him Les and he's been quite successful.

sip

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
Actually, I think that ole Les is very smart. He just has a strange way of communicating when he is in front of a camera. Eating grass might do that to a person. Les was lucky in that he inherited a wealth of talent and a great team when he took over at LSU. Not sure he could have built that team from nothing, but that doesn't matter at this point. LSU is a great team and will remain a threat in the future.

Saban is a totally different personality and is strictly business. No time for foolishness.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Lou is Nick's first cousin (although their names are the same). I think Selma was channeling his inner Verne. :D Interesting that the ethnic line of both the Sabans and Belichicks is Croat...
CNS is actually from the Belichick Coaching Tree.

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida
Nick Saban:

National Titles - 2003, 2009, 2011.
SEC Titles (career) - 2001, 2003, 2009.
Heisman Winners under Saban - Mark Ingram 2009.
Bowl Record: 7-6 (4-1 Alabama)
10+ win seasons (career) - 6 (currently) (4 at Alabama)
Overall Win/Loss record: 155-54-1

Les Miles:

National Titles: 2007
SEC Titles: 2007, 2011.
Heisman Winners under Miles: 0
Bowl Record: 6-4 (5-2 LSU)
10+ win seasons (career) - 5 (All at LSU)
Overall Win/Loss record: 110-41

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Nick Saban:

National Titles - 2003, 2009, 2011.
SEC Titles (career) - 2001, 2003, 2009.
Heisman Winners under Saban - Mark Ingram 2009.
Bowl Record: 7-6 (4-1 Alabama)
10+ win seasons (career) - 6 (currently) (4 at Alabama)
Overall Win/Loss record: 155-54-1

Les Miles:

National Titles: 2007
SEC Titles: 2007, 2011.
Heisman Winners under Miles: 0
Bowl Record: 6-4 (5-2 LSU)
10+ win seasons (career) - 5 (All at LSU)
Overall Win/Loss record: 110-41
Well that settles it. :wink:

And although Saban did work for Belichick at Cleveland, I'd say he's more accurately from the Don James' coaching tree.

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida
Well that settles it. :wink:

And although Saban did work for Belichick at Cleveland, I'd say he's more accurately from the Don James' coaching tree.
Yeah, I'm a bit of a stat guy. I think it's a great way to compare coaches or teams.

And I agree with your other post, Les is a cool guy and I think he's a good coach. But he doesn't get the credit sometimes because he's been known to be goofy at times and make dumb calls. He's in his 8th year at LSU and he's currently averaging 10 wins a season. That's pretty good in my book.

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007
Miles is a top head coach in the country. His strengths are that he knows how to manage his staff and a program ( but not as well as a lot of coaches), He recruits at an elite level, but his biggest strength is he knows how to get his team motivated to play for him and especially for a big game.

The reason I wouldn't hire him however is that he doesn't have a specialty X&O wise. I know he has a background as a OC back in the 90s with Oklahoma St. However, he's by no means a leading coach in offensive football. Mike Gundy ran his offense in Oklahoma St, and got him the LSU job just about. LSU was already the premiere program in the SEC when he received it from Saban. Bo Pelini and John Chavis have allowed him to keep that running. I would never hire a head coach that doesn't have something that he can hang his hat on as a X & O coach, hell even Special Teams would do. I think that type of coach is too reliant on coordinators, thus when the coordinator changes the systems may change with it.

But that's just my biggest beef with Miles. His record speaks for itself however. There's been plenty of coaches that go against my line of thinking.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
miles is a very good coach and a big goofball. he's one of my favorites. i think the difference between him and saban is simply discipline.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
From a personal standpoint, I actually like Les Miles... you can tell he is slightly socially awkward but he is smart enough to turn this where it favors him a bit. Comparing as head coaches with CNS though, Les Miles is way below but what coach isn't really? Not saying that as a homer opinion but just the facts. If you read "How Good Do You Want To Be", you can really get into the Great Coach's head and you see why he's (and his players while playing and when they move on to the NFL or in life) so successful.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.