The Difference Between Saban And Miles

BamaSam1

Scout Team
Dec 12, 2011
Let's get your opinion on some of the differences between Saban and Miles.
I say one difference between Saban and Miles is Saban finds a way to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat while Miles finds a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
4 national titles to zero ( Miles won with Lou's players)

Saban uses his brain, Miles searches for his with his fingers

jcabama

1st Team
Jul 19, 2004
Bonaire GA
I don't ever recall Nick digging in his ears on national TV. Really though Miles just seems to get lost in the emotion of a game sometimes and put his team in precarious situations (e.g. fake punt w/defense playing safe, on-side kick when his team is dominating every phase) while CNS always seems to be in tune with the flow. Don't remember the opponent (maybe Ole Miss?) but recall a few years ago him going for a FG when time was short and the yardage was minimal while I was thinking we had to go for the 1st down and the TD. FG was good and we came back later to kick the game winner. Remember he went from fool to genius in my book pretty quickly!

Crimson Bourne

1st Team
Jun 23, 2005
Blue Ridge, GA
I don't ever recall Nick digging in his ears on national TV. Really though Miles just seems to get lost in the emotion of a game sometimes and put his team in precarious situations (e.g. fake punt w/defense playing safe, on-side kick when his team is dominating every phase) while CNS always seems to be in tune with the flow. Don't remember the opponent (maybe Ole Miss?) but recall a few years ago him going for a FG when time was short and the yardage was minimal while I was thinking we had to go for the 1st down and the TD. FG was good and we came back later to kick the game winner. Remember he went from fool to genius in my book pretty quickly!
That was against Arkansas.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Saban doesn't have to keep poking his finger in his ear to try and stimulate his brain.

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
Saban is obviously the better coach, but I think Les Miles takes a lot more flack than he should. His record says he knows what he's doing. I think he gets a little carried away sometimes and isn't the best at in-game stuff, but his teams are usually very good.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Saban is obviously the better coach, but I think Les Miles takes a lot more flack than he should. His record says he knows what he's doing. I think he gets a little carried away sometimes and isn't the best at in-game stuff, but his teams are usually very good.
This best describes it for me as well.

On the crazy calls when he went for it on 4th down5 times against the Tebows & got it he was a genius. Les is good for college football he just needs less players with a love for pot.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Credit where credit is due: Miles had his team mentally and physically ready for the game Saturday night. Their game plan was solid and if they would have stuck to it they probably win.

But Miles apparently decided it wouldn't when he tried the four infamous plays that backfired on him.

On the other hand, CNS hardly ever makes an in-game call like that. And when Bama needed a cool, calm presence on the sideline CNS was there managing the clock and players like cool hand Luke.

Both are good, but CNS is obviously the cream of the crop in the eyes of college football fans right now.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
That coach Saban has a stronger overall master plan, The Process which is etched into the player's psyche. Les Miles is one of the top 5 coaches in the country, but I think the master plan helped decide the game. The Bama players had ingrained in them "60 minutes, 60 minutes, not sure if the LSU players had Les Miles in their head or not.

BamaBraz

1st Team
Nov 27, 2002
Monrovia, AL
The differences were shown on the field in the final seconds of the game. Coach Saban had Alabama prepared for a 2 minute offense. They were ready for the situation. AJ had said they practice it every Thursday against the number 1 defense. Everyone knew their role, knew the calls that were going to be made. It worked with military precision. 10 yard + sideline passes, out of bounds, stop the clock, read the blitz coming off the left side, quick screen, TD.

LSU came out in their 2 minute offense and they were lost. It looked to me as if they were running their normal offense. No real sense of urgency, 1 sideline pass and then one right down the middle and of course then the sack, game over.

Bottom line, Alabama was prepared, well coached and poised. LSU was lost.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Coach Miles grazes the fields of battle for the best stems of grass. Does he bring his on grass when playing on artificial turf?

Coach Saban loves Little Debbies! However, he does not bring them to the sideline or does he? Has the media ever caught him eating a Little Debbie on the sideline?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.