Officiating last Saturday night.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That should have been a penalty, you've had "warnings" all the way from popwarner. Should have been a penalty just like the phone call gesture mettenberger made, as well as the tackle of Yeldon that continued 3 yards out of bounds.
It certainly got JPW penalized...

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Didn't you know? We hold every play!

Why, Alabama OL tackles DL on every team, then does horrible, horrible things to them while on the ground as a form of psychological warfare!! /sarcasm

37bamagrl

All-American
May 6, 2003
Foley, AL
I'm still perplexed why the clock stopped at 13 seconds. The guy didn't go out of bounds, and the ref signaled that he didn't. The guy got up a little hobbily but immediately stepped onto the sideline. and it seemed to me they didn't start the clock until mettenberger snapped it.

Plus, is there some sort of clock runoff when you have an injury? or why wouldn't they just act like someone is hurt (goodness knows lsu appears to be good at that)

oh and the pi call on us was crap. and i also thought that the play before Yeldon's TD, the throw to Norwood in the endzone, seem like a little more than legs getting tangled, the LSU guy fell into Norwood's legs and knocked him down. but i can see how in live play that would be hard to see.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I think that was one of the better crews I've seen with the exception of the offensive interference. I am not sure what he was thinking. Also, It was clearly interference on Norwood in the end zone on out last possession, but I think it is kind of like basketball now, thhy didn't want to decide the game on a penalty at the end of the game.

Still one of the better efforts I've seen from a crew in a while. I hate to see a couple of the crews do our games. Tom Ritter's crew comes to mind.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I think the officials did a good job. As it has been said, they kept the game under control which is also a compliment to both teams.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
That should have been a penalty, you've had "warnings" all the way from popwarner. Should have been a penalty just like the phone call gesture mettenberger made, as well as the tackle of Yeldon that continued 3 yards out of bounds.
I agree with you on all of the above.

The clock should not have stopped on that last play and at the very least it didn't start as it should have.

Copeland is a thug.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re the second to last play: the clock stopped with 13 seconds because Hill did not get out of bounds but was hurt. The official stopped the clock until he was off the field. When he got off the field, the umpire moved away from the center/ball. At which point, Mettenberger immediately snapped it. Look at the video, and you'll see the ref indicate with his arm to start the clock when the umpire moved. Mettenberger snapped the ball simultaneous.

For those asking about Mettenberger's phone signal: he was calling the hotels in Atlanta.

BamaFanTN

3rd Team
Mar 1, 2011
Melbourne, FL
The movement call on LSU when they fumbled late in the fourth, I rewatched that multiple times, that play inparticular and cannot find who htey called it on. Now there may have been movement but if there was it was a very late call, almost after the fumble. :conf3:

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Re the second to last play: the clock stopped with 13 seconds because Hill did not get out of bounds but was hurt. The official stopped the clock until he was off the field. When he got off the field, the umpire moved away from the center/ball. At which point, Mettenberger immediately snapped it. Look at the video, and you'll see the ref indicate with his arm to start the clock when the umpire moved. Mettenberger snapped the ball simultaneous.

For those asking about Mettenberger's phone signal: he was calling the hotels in Atlanta.

Hilarious, '91!!!

Not sure whether it's been discussed in this / another thread, but the story on numerous LSWho sites is that some Bama fans got a hold of Mettenberger's cell number, and had been calling him to, um, wish him well in the game...

:)

Last edited:

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006
Hill hit the ground and the line judge signaled to wind the clock. Hill starts to get up normally while simultaniously the line judge signals to stop the clock. It is only after that point that Hill shows signs he is injured. Either the line judge decided that while his body stayed in bounds he reached out of bounds with the ball (like Eli sort of speculated at on the radio broadcast) or he has pshic powers about Hill's injury (the line judge's back was to Hill).

If it was an injury stoppage there was a mistake because (as I re-watch it yet again as I'm typing this), there is CLEARLY a 2-3 second lapse in time between Owens signal to wind the clock and the center snapping the ball.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I am watching the espnu All access with the Sec Refs. It is Tom Ritter's crew for the TN/SC game. It is really interesting and I never realize how much goes into it.

So props to them for our game, I am sure there was a lot of pressure for them as well.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
OK. Everyone has their opinion. Here's mine. The clock was stopped for the injury. However, the clock is only supposed to stop if the player can not get off the field. Obviously Hill got up and limped off the field no slower than he would have being healthy. In that situation,(an offensive player getting injured - fake or not- with no timeouts) a 10 second run off is supposed to be enforced. Had LSU had a timeout, they would have been forced to use it then. I don't think the clock should have been stopped at all since the player was able to get off the field on his own. By rule, since the RB didn't get out of bounds, the clock restarts at the whistle, (ball placed at spot).

Concerning the offensive PI. We couldn't see from our angle, but it appeared Norwood grabbed the CB's jersey and pulled him back. Otherwise, it could have been a defensive PI. If you watch closely, the CB's shoulder dips down slightly. I have no problem with that call. Had we had a better view, it would have been clearer.

I didn't like the no call with Mettenberger and the phone, however that was a hilarious caption by RTR91. I saw a few holds that weren't called, but that is with every game. I was a little curious on the illegal procedure calls against LSU. I understand why, but that is an unusual call. I wonder if Saban tipped them off to watch for it. Unfortunately, it didn't hurt LSU any. They still got the TD. If it was an illegal procedure call, it should've been a live ball foul, not a dead ball. They called it false start because they accidentally blew it dead.

Verne was his usual ignorant, blind, bumbling idiot self.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I was a little curious on the illegal procedure calls against LSU. I understand why, but that is an unusual call. I wonder if Saban tipped them off to watch for it. Unfortunately, it didn't hurt LSU any. They still got the TD. If it was an illegal procedure call, it should've been a live ball foul, not a dead ball. They called it false start because they accidentally blew it dead.
Like you, I questioned the timing of those calls. IIRC, one was blown dead immediately and another was not called until the play ended.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
The no call on the gestures was poor, but overall this game shows that we can have decent officiating in the SEC, we just usually don't. I agree that the clock management on LSU's last three plays was not right and it would have been a firestorm if they had scored.

The problem with the no call on Norwood is that I'm pretty sure if he doesn't go to the ground right there, he catches a touch down pass. It's one thing if a couple of players get tangled up and stumble, but if the receiver with a chance to catch a ball in the end zone gets taken down, well, I'll just say that gets called more often than not.

Wish we could have an "all star" crew this Saturday afternoon, but my guess is that we'll end up back to some version of Keystone Kops. They were on the edge of a massive embarrassing situation with UGA FLA. Don't expect that in any game we are involved in, but SEC officiating has to improve.

Oh, and there's no reason to believe it if Verne tells you a touchdown is worth six points - he's guessing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.