Officiating last Saturday night.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Thought that was a great job by the officails the other night. Unlike previous LSU/Alabama games.

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006
If I posted what I said about the officials during the game I would be banned before I hit post :biggrin2:

(The offensive PI call and the no call on Mettenberger's phone celebration)

However, watching the replay of LSU's last possession has puzzled me. On their next to last play the back doesn't get out of bounds. The official signals to keep the clock moving, then seemingly changes his mind and changes his signal to stop the clock.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Player was injured on the field. Also noticed one of our guys took his helmet off with 3 seconds left.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006
I though I saw an injured LSU player, but isn't the clock supposed to start again once it is marked for play?

EDIT: Just rewatched for the helmet. Can't see Mosley's right hand, but it appears when him and Square were chest bumping Square's helmet hit his and knocked it half way up his face, and he then just took it the rest of the way off.

Last edited:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I though I saw an injured LSU player, but isn't the clock supposed to start again once it is marked for play?
I actually think there was confusion on that play. Eli said that he stretched the ball out of bounds, but the first official signaled that he was still in play. He got up slowly and hobbled off the field and they stopped the clock.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The ref started the clock once the umpire moved. However, Mettenberger snapped the ball immediately, which provided no time elapse from the ref starting the clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my post may not be what I typed thanks to auto correct. Also, I may need an emoticon but cannot use one in this post.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
The ref started the clock once the umpire moved. However, Mettenberger snapped the ball immediately, which provided no time elapse from the ref starting the clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my post may not be what I typed thanks to auto correct. Also, I may need an emoticon but cannot use one in this post.
Thought so.

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006
Well then LSU needs a new clock because according to my stopwatch 2.7 seconds went by between Owens signal to start the clock and the snap when the gameclock actually started ;)

Nitpicky, but it's either do this or read more election coverage

aerospace_ray

All-American
Oct 5, 2009
Alabama
Concur. Looked like a veteran group that was not rattled by the teams/coaches/noise, etc. Not perfect, but it could have been a lot worse in that atmosphere. RTR

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
They kept control of the game which is in stark constrast to what happened in the UGA-UF game.

Was impressed that after the LSU fullback (#44 Copeland) did the mile high salute after a 4 yard gain, one of the officials pulled him aside and warned him. That was a good job of letting the players play, but not losing control of the game.

BFANLC

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
In a dream world
They kept control of the game which is in stark constrast to what happened in the UGA-UF game.

Was impressed that after the LSU fullback (#44 Copeland) did the mile high salute after a 4 yard gain, one of the officials pulled him aside and warned him. That was a good job of letting the players play, but not losing control of the game.
That should have been a penalty, you've had "warnings" all the way from popwarner. Should have been a penalty just like the phone call gesture mettenberger made, as well as the tackle of Yeldon that continued 3 yards out of bounds.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Thought that was a great job by the officails the other night. Unlike previous LSU/Alabama games.

Now that you mention it, you are absolutely correct!

For the first time since I can rememeber, the refs didn't decide the game.:cool2:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Yeah, you get your warning at the beginning of the game when the Refs meet with the Captains.

That should have been a penalty, you've had "warnings" all the way from popwarner. Should have been a penalty just like the phone call gesture mettenberger made, as well as the tackle of Yeldon that continued 3 yards out of bounds.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Yeah, but other than that one, no complaints.
Eli said it was an All Star crew not Owens regular crew.

All our passes to the sidelines they did a good job of marking & calling the catch.

They are human & don't catch everything but as far as playing AT LSU the got a fair hand.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.