Blog: Latest Bama News 11/6/12

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
The image of Yeldon in the end zone — with LSU defenders strewn about in a quiet, deflated Tiger stadium — is ultimately the lasting one of a fantastic all-around football game. Whether it’s also one of the lasting images of the season might depend on Alabama finishing the year with yet another BCS title. That will be settled in the coming weeks, starting this Saturday as Alabama faces a pesky Texas A&M team. For now, though, it's all about AJ to T.J.
AJ to T.J.: Breaking Down Alabama's Game-Winning Play - The Triangle Blog - Grantland

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
"Just got to make the plays that have to be made," Square said. "Have to be a sure tackle. Can’t let a 2-yard gain turn into a 35-yard gain. You know, you've got to get a guy on the ground, you've got to try and get as many three-and-outs as possible and the offense has got to get on the field and control the tempo of the game. You do that, and I’m pretty sure that’s the game plan this week, and that’s what we’re trying to do."
'They want to compete at another level,' Tide DE and Texas native Damion Square says of Aggies | al.com

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
"I think everybody misinterpreted what I said about no-huddle," he said. "I don't mind playing against no-huddle. We don't mind that at all. That wasn't what I said, it's what you all interpreted it to be. "I just asked the question, 'Is this what we want the game to become?' That's for you to answer. But that doesn't mean we don't like playing against it. We don't mind playing against it. It is what it is. Our players don't mind playing against it. We played a little bit better against it than when the other team huddled up this past week. That's the worst we've played all year on defense, by far." Saban's frustration grew as he wrapped up his answer. "How do you explain that?" he asked the reporter. "Can I ask you a question. How would you explain that? Such an insightful question that you asked me. I'm trying to get some insight in what I'm asking you. How do you explain that?"
Alabama coach Nick Saban says comments about no-huddle offenses were misinterpreted | al.com

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Alabama, having won two of the last three national championships, may dispute that claim. Its Heisman contender, quarterback A J McCarron, embodies his team’s ideals — with a steady, calming presence — the way Barner does Oregon’s. Each year, the Crimson Tide’s defense, like the Ducks’ offense, reloads and relies on its coach’s expertise. Every Tuesday and Wednesday, Saban pits the first-team offense against the first-team defense, challenging the defenders to stop the run. In film sessions, the defensive coordinator Kirby Smart plays a highlight tape showing that day’s turnovers and sacks. It is a source of pride, the way Saban wants them to play, physical and relentless. "I want to set the standard and the tempo," said Damion Square, a fifth-year senior defensive end. To set the tone, Square said, "hit them in the mouth — that’s it." "You can instill fear in any athlete hitting them in the mouth," he added.
Alabama Coach Nick Saban Questions Oregon’s Offense - NYTimes.com

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
"We could not get off the field on third down in the second half, especially," Saban said. "I think they hit seven in a row in two scoring drives, and we didn't do as good a job on third down offensively ourselves, which was really a big part of the game. Even though they moved the ball, we still created lots of third-down situations. And we could have gotten out of both drives if we could have gotten off the field on third downs. "That's something that we need to address and certainly do a better job of. We didn't cover them in man-to-man. We didn't break to the ball well enough in zone. Just fundamentally didn't play what we needed to play to be able to have success."
Tide's pass defense wasn't very aggressive at LSU, coach Nick Saban says | al.com

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
My eyes were closed," he said. He couldn't watch? "Not really," Hubbard said. "I was just praying, 'C'mon, please come through.'" But he could hear. Hubbard opened his eyes when "all I heard was yelling." "I looked up, and there was T.J. running down the sideline for a touchdown," Hubbard said of T.J. Yeldon's 28-yard score on a screen pass with 51 seconds left. The Crimson Tide held on to win 21-17. But the game wasn't over yet, Hubbard said. "All I saw was AJ," Hubbard said of Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron. "He caught the Holy Ghost sliding on the ground, and I kind of dragged him, telling him, ‘Get up, we’ve got 50 seconds still left in this game. We have to win.’"
AJ McCarron 'caught the Holy Ghost,' Tide's Adrian Hubbard says of TD celebration | al.com

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Regrouping from an equally hard-fought game against LSU last season resulted in one of Alabama’s more sluggish wins of the 2011 season, a 24-7 victory at Mississippi State that saw Alabama hold no more than a 10-point advantage throughout most of the game. That performance, of course, came after a loss, a time when the Crimson Tide’s hopes of making the national title game appeared foggy at best. Now, the Crimson Tide’s destiny lies squarely in its own hands. One win over its final two SEC games puts Alabama in the SEC Championship game against Georgia (if it beats Auburn on Saturday) or Florida. Four more will send Alabama to Miami for the BCS national championship game. "Regardless of the outcome, I think players need to understand the importance of paying attention to detail and doing the little things right so that we can get those things fixed," Saban said. "We've got to forget about this last game. We've got to move on."

With its 24 hours to celebrate win at LSU long gone, No. 1 Alabama says it's ready for Texas A&M | al.com

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Alabama running back Eddie Lacy is nursing a sore ankle and is not participating in practice, but he is in uniform and is going through some motions with his unit. "Just a little banged up," Saban said in his press conference. "Tweaked it a little in the game." Lacy is expected to practice Tuesday and should be ready to play Saturday.
Alabama practice report: Monday of Texas A&M week | al.com

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Defensive end Damion Square was asked if Alabama needed such a test after trailing for all of 15 seconds in the first eight games. "I don't think you ever need a game like that, but you know they come," Square said. "I've been playing college football for a while and every year we have one like that. You never know when it's going to show up, but coach always says to practice your best so when your best is needed, you can bring it out. And our best was needed and we brought it out."
Bama must come back to earth with Aggies up | MailTribune.com

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
"It was a crazy experience last week," offensive lineman Cyrus Kouandjio said. "Now it’s time to move on. I had my 24 hours to reflect on the game. Now all I’m worried about is the Texas A&M team and its defensive front, which is pretty impressive." Linebacker C.J. Mosley echoed his coach’s words. "It’s time. It’s time to get ready for Texas A&M," he said. "So that game is done and over with. What happened, happened. We’ve just got to get ready for this game."
Crimson Tide begins preparing for Texas A&M | The Crimson White

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
"It obviously was a good drive in the two-minute," Alabama coach Nick Saban said. "We’ve never really had to use the two-minute." Even so, the Tide practices it regularly each Thursday inside its indoor practice facility. The players say it’s ready when needed, such as the last game against LSU or maybe Saturday’s home game against No. 15 Texas A&M. Recorded crowd noise fills the facility, and the first-team offense has to go against the Tide’s first-team defense. They have only one limit — they aren’t allowed to go full-contact and knock each other all around the building. "Coach Saban basically tells us how many minutes we have left on the clock, how many timeouts we have left, if we need to get a field goal or touchdown," said Alabama receiver Kevin Norwood, who made all five of his receptions Saturday in the hurry-up offense. "We just move the ball as an offense." So, who wins the most: the offense or defense? "It’s kind of 50-50," Norwood said. "The defense wins most of the times, and then we win most of the times. So it’s kind of 50-50."
Two-minute drill works for Tide: Practice makes perfect for Bama against LSU | The Prattville Progress

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
The star of Texas A&M's show has been redshirt freshman quarterback Johnny Manziel, who completed 30 of 36 passes for 311 yards against the Bulldogs and rushed 21 times for 129 yards. Manziel threw for 290 yards and rushed for 90 at Auburn despite playing one series into the third quarter. "There have been a number of plays he's made over the course of the year, and some of them were improvised and some of them were called," Sumlin said. "Obviously he has the green light a lot of times to take off, and what you're seeing is our team really, really adjusting to him with some of the downfield blocking that is occurring when he gets loose and with guys working to get open. "We're all playing with a lot of confidence now, and in order to be successful on the road and start the way we've started the last couple of weeks, that confidence level has got to be high."

Bama has 'different' tough test | timesfreepress.com

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
It went barely noticed on Saturday night, but Saban said punter Cody Mandell did what the offense could not – flip field position on the Tigers. Mandell averaged 45.1 yards on seven punts. He put two inside the 20 and LSU had just 16 yards total on three punt returns. A 56-yard punt rolled out of the bounds at the LSU 9 and a 55-yarder in the fourth quarter was fair caught at the LSU 18. "It was probably as good a game, consistency-wise, that he’s had," Saban said of his punter. "It was really, really important because he did change field positions on several occasions. That’s what he’s capable of doing. He’s gotten more and more consistent. "Certainly it couldn’t have happened at a better time for us in terms of him having an outstanding game."
Bama notebook: Saban not entirely happy with performance | Dothan Eagle

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.