Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Does AJ remind you of any NFL quarterbacks currently or in the past?

Does AJ remind you of any NFL quarterbacks currently or in the past?

He reminds me of Eli Manning the most hands down. His entire approach reminds me of ELI, from technique in different scenarios to intelligence.. I was taken to the whipping post when I mentioned Peyton earlier this year in a comparison, which was justified, but I later found out that AJ attended the manning camps and it's not a stretch to think he might model himself after the two, so I was at least on to something.

AJ has bulked up a lot in the past 18 months and his frame with the long torso again is a Manning trait, he resembles them physically. Not a great physical speciman, but thick with good footwork who can throw accurately while running. AJ's ability to make good audibles at the line(Like Eli) will help his NFL stock a lot. He also proved his play in the clutch(Eli)

AJ is going to be a starter in the NFL eventually and our best prospect since Todd. His overall game is better than Brodie Croyle at this point which says a lot. He is a lot stronger than Brodie for one thing and has been better coached.

So which NFL quarterback does he remind you of?
    Last edited by CapstoneTider; November 6th, 2012 at 08:44 AM.

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Does AJ remind you of any NFL quarterbacks currently or in the past?

Not sure about passing style.

I see Peyton Manning every time I see AJ barking out orders and pointing out the coverage.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamanut_aj's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    I'm not ready to compare him to either Manning yet. I'll have to think in that one....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Good post, I begrudgingly agree! I think overall college careers AJ is way better at this point than Eli was, although Eli had that all world performance against us that one time. But yeah, you hit the nail on the head.
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    Good post, I begrudgingly agree! I think overall college careers AJ is way better at this point than Eli was, although Eli had that all world performance against us that one time. But yeah, you hit the nail on the head.
    Eli didn't have the weapons around him at Ole Miss that AJ does at Alabama.

I do remember that thrashing in 2003.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I'm not sure about that. If not for Eli, Ole Miss isn't in contention for the SEC West in 2003.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

Suspended

Eli is a much better athlete. The best plan for AJ is to get drafted by a good team with a solid, older veteran QB. AJ has been held under wraps at Alabama as a QB. He only has one 300+ yd game in his career. It's not his fault, he just hasn't had the opportunity to put the ball in the air. He has competed against some NFL type CBs and that will help him put the ball in a tight spot like the NFL requires.

BamaNation Hall of Fame RedStar's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    The closest I could compare him to is Matt Ryan. Nearly identical height & weight. Both are very smart with the football & throw minimal INT's.

Neither are overly flashy or thought of as elite, but they're always better than people give them credit for.
    Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice? Congratulations, you'd probably make a pretty good con-man.

BamaNation First Team Stonewall1959's Avatar
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RedStar View Post
    The closest I could compare him to is Matt Ryan. Nearly identical height & weight. Both are very smart with the football & throw minimal INT's.

Neither are overly flashy or thought of as elite, but they're always better than people give them credit for.
    Came into this thread to post this. Looks a lot like Matt Ryan to me in stature and the way he handles himself in the game. Smart enough to throw the ball away, calls the right plays when he changes plays, can run when he has to.

Even their personalities seem similar. Would love to see AJ in Atlanta in a couple of years as the backup to Matt.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

double
    Last edited by CapstoneTider; November 6th, 2012 at 09:46 AM.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Eli was not nearly as touted out of HS than his brother but has proven to be better in the clutch imo. I like Eli and was glad when he picked Ole Miss to stay in the West Division.

Quote Originally Posted by 257WBY View Post
    Eli is a much better athlete.
    He had a rough start to his career even throughout his 1st Super Bowl. He had very little consistency, but when he did play well it was good.

I am not saying that AJ is going to be in competition for the 1st pick, but AJ is a good athlete.

BamaNation All-American BamaMoon's Avatar

If he elects for the draft this year (I've heard both sides of the debate) I'd say the drive on Saturday night will be huge for him. A GM for a pro team will like what they saw...especially the adversity that he overcame in that hostile environment.

FWIW, he kind of reminds me of Tom Brady and with Brady getting some wear on his tires that would be a first class place to land and have the opportunity to learn under arguably the best qb in the NFL in the last 10-15 years. I think CNS would approve of AJ being coached by his mentor as well!
    Last edited by BamaMoon; November 6th, 2012 at 09:58 AM.

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

As much as I hate to say this... I think Scarbinsky is right. Tom Brady. They are great game managers,pocket passers, and role players

The reason is Brady at Michigan was always looked as a scapegoat to having a bad year,and many felt this highly talent recruit was going to take his spot as starting qb. But as history would have it Brady his senior season went crazy, beat out his competition, and won in many clutch games (including the 00 Orange Bowl... Dangit Pflugner)

In contrast AJ his sophomore year was looked at as the potential weak link in the team. A good portion of Bama nation favored an athlethic QB in Phillip Simms. But AJ stepped up and won the position and has preformed well in clutch momments as well.

The biggest differences are that Michigan fans actually hated Brady until he won that Orange Bowl and he was not a big name in the media until pro. Where AJ Tidefans were very supportive and the medi cant get enough of him
    “There's not too much to say. Alabama thoroughly beat us. They are a better team. They were coached better, they played better, and they looked like they will have a big season. They have a heck of a team.”
    Steve Spurrier