Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does AJ remind you of any NFL quarterbacks currently or in the past?

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    I love AJ and he has played very well but he is nowhere close to either Eli or Peyton when they were in college.
    Those guys had rockets on their shoulders and could read any defense that was thrown at them.
    Again, nothing against AJ but my goodness..lol
    He reminds me of Brodie more than anybody except he makes much much better decisions.
    sip

I agree, he's always reminded me of Brodie. The decision making part though I'm not so sure about. Brodie played on teams that didn't have near the talent as AJ. Yeah, Brodie made some bad decisions but he had to try to make things happen. AJ doesn't... Or at least he didn't until that last drive Sat. night.

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like

There isn't any physical similarity, but that last drive against LSU reminded me of Joe Montana (for us old-timers). I've seen Montana direct numerous last minute, come from behind, never give up, game winning drives.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Im_on_dsp View Post
    And why is that? I know we are all taught to do what our elders. or the establishment says, but pro football is a job, just like any other job. What right do we have to say who anyone should go work for? If a NFL draft participant has the stones AND the power to call their own shots then I say bravo to them. You don't think the NFL owners wouldn't have crapped all over Eli, or any other player for that matter, if it was a better business decision? Pro football is a cold, cruel business, regardless of what the marketing says.
    O.k I admit it was a terrible mistake. But have you seen "spoiled brat" behavior from Eli sense then? Even when he was grilled by the NY media for 4 years the guy always took it and went on to the next game. I know it's just a post, but I think it's inaccurate. I grew up on St. Simons and Sea Island Ga and rode to school with Davis Love III, I know how spoiled brats of rich parents behave and Eli does not behave like that. (neither did Davis

I know it's popular on this board to throw out the stinking zinger, but anyone that has watched Eli over the years, even his player, have never alluded to him believing he was above anyone else.

So give me some more examples other than hi fathers arrangement in the draft.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    O.k I admit it was a terrible mistake. But have you seen "spoiled brat" behavior from Eli sense then?
    I haven't kept up with him as I couldn't really care less about NFL football, but yah, I'd say that sort of behavior speaks volumes about one's character. Guess I just love the 'stinking zinger' for calling it like I see it, but everyone else steps up and does what they have to do - Eli was too special to work wherever he landed.

*shrugs*
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    I haven't kept up with him as I couldn't really care less about NFL football, but yah, I'd say that sort of behavior speaks volumes about one's character. Guess I just love the 'stinking zinger' for calling it like I see it, but everyone else steps up and does what they have to do - Eli was too special to work wherever he landed.

*shrugs*
    I am not going to waste anymore time defending a player you admit you don't keep up with and that I really am not a fan of. Calling him a spoiled brat certainly shows no insight into him as a player, which you admit. So much so that I thought it worthy of response, especially with so many other worthy targets..geez

Truce.

My new guitar $100 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYFX1_RfXJ0&feature=plcp
    Last edited by CapstoneTider; November 6th, 2012 at 01:58 PM.

BamaNation First Team Im_on_dsp's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    O.k I admit it was a terrible mistake. But have you seen "spoiled brat" behavior from Eli sense then? Even when he was grilled by the NY media for 4 years the guy always took it and went on to the next game. I know it's just a post, but I think it's inaccurate. I grew up on St. Simons and Sea Island Ga and rode to school with Davis Love III, I know how spoiled brats of rich parents behave and Eli does not behave like that. (neither did Davis

I know it's popular on this board to throw out the stinking zinger, but anyone that has watched Eli over the years, even his player, have never alluded to him believing he was above anyone else.

So give me some more examples other than hi fathers arrangement in the draft.
    I don't believe you understood what I was posting. I was not denigrating Eli Manning, or any other NFL player. I was simply questioning your assertion that Eli Manning made a mistake by bucking his draft selection. I think any NFL player that has the wherewithal to buck the NFL establishment has the rights to do that and any assertion that they are being a brat by doing so is silly. The NFL is a business, like any other. As a potential employee you should do everything in your power, legally and ethically, to enhance your position.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Im_on_dsp View Post
    I don't believe you understood what I was posting. I was not denigrating Eli Manning, or any other NFL player. I was simply questioning your assertion that Eli Manning made a mistake by bucking his draft selection. I think any NFL player that has the wherewithal to buck the NFL establishment has the rights to do that and any assertion that they are being a brat by doing so is silly. The NFL is a business, like any other. As a potential employee you should do everything in your power, legally and ethically, to enhance your position.
    I think I am suffering from board burnout. Time to take a break. I've had a few days off and have spent to much time posting, which can lead to a a mild form a ADHD imo.

I re-read the post and you are absolutely correct. Thanks for pointing it out.

Greg

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideFan in AU's Avatar
    Almost close enough to the pasture to smell it!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post

*shrugs*
    I dunno audio, I can't really blame a guy for deciding where he wants to work. He has worked hard and done everything right at NY. Ultimately, I don't think there's any doubt he made the right decision for himself.
    “And the roses in this grand ol’ stadium are once again Crimson!” - Eli Gold, Jan 7th, 2010

Alabama wasn’t just dominating Monday night. They were some word that has yet to be invented in the English language. - Aaron Torres, Jan 10th, 2012

"If this was a prize fight, they'd call it off!" - Brent Musberger, Jan 7th, 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    Without AJ we don't _________. Please fill in that blank...
    Win on Saturday. We would have one loss on the year. Last year? Not sure.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Tom Brady, Eli Manning come to mind
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

AJ Doesn't remind me of any particular pro, he's got the height they want, his arm is good enough, he can make all the throws, His biggest flaw at this point is slight inconsistency. When he's on he's NFL all the way but most of Saturday night he was off to the point he wouldn't even make an NFL roster. He's "on" more than he is "off" but in the NFL you don't have off nights, if you do you will be introduced to the bench and forgotten. As much as I'm sure he wouldn't want to hear this and you can accuse me of self serving motives, I believe he needs another year to improve his reads and his mechanics. NFL teams have become very wary of guys leaving as juniors, too many came out early and simply were not polished enough, normally they would just develop players but QB's are too expensive to develop. The only ones who develop over time are worthless late rounders who just stick around because they are cheap and end up falling into a starting job.
    BS 1989

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

Just wanted to revisit this thread to see what people think of AJ now. To me AJ reminds me of Tom Brady.His growth the last year has been substantial. I think he is going to go off this coming year.

BamaNation First Team CrimsonForever1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I really do not understand why people have to compare AJ with anyone...... Discussion only I guess.... AJ has his own style which may or may not work in the NFL, time will tell..... To me, he has a little bit of a lot of QB`s rolled into one which makes him AJ.... As a collegiate QB, which is the only thing we have to base anything on, AJ is equally intense as he is with a coolness in the pocket to make good decisions. His mere presence on the field exudes control and confidence. Yes he has had the luxury of having a very good team around him, but he can go through his progressions very quick to find the open man, throw it out of bounds, or bring it down and run for necessary yardage. You almost never see him trying to force the issue or make a bad decision.... AJ is not the athlete say Montana was, but his decision making exudes Montana. A lot of people get disgusted over the fact that people merely call AJ a game manager. I am one who thinks that being labled a manager is a very good thing as he is running the team.... Seems to me that is that you want as a QB...... If you aren`t a good manager, it doesn`t matter how much talent you have around you.... It is really a matter of controlling the play that was sent in, or the check you have to make at the LOS to adjust to what the defense shows you.... AJ is excellent at that.... Also, whether the reciever is open or not on a out or sideline pattern, AJ almost always throws to the right spot where our reciever only has a play on the ball, and that is the toughest throw as a QB..... Go watch some replay`s of Montana..... Jerry Rice was one of the best recievers that has ever been, but the ball had to be thrown correctly in order for him to recieve it.....
    Last edited by CrimsonForever1; January 21st, 2013 at 09:16 AM.
    I have but one life to give to my country, and I give it to The Crimson Tide