Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Re: Does AJ remind you of any NFL quarterbacks currently or in the past?

I think AJ will have to best tools to be successful at QB for the NFL when he goes next year.
    Send me up some Pibb Extra and Golden Flake potato chips please

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American BamaMoon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting to go back and read the progression of this thread. It was started right after the big win against LSU, but then remember what happened the next week? AJ has his worst game and throws two INTs and we lost to TAMU.

Now fast forward and consider what AJ did against the Barn, Georgia and ND!

And in two straight BCSNCGs he plays lights out.

With one more year of growth I think AJ has "solid pro" written all over him and maybe even the potential for stardom if he can land with the right team.

If he really has similar skills physically and intellectually to Ryan and Brady then he'll do just fine!

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I was watching NFL Films a while back - after posting in this topic a month or so ago - and McCarron looks a lot like this former LSU and Baltimore Colts QB Bert Jones. Tall, lanky, better arm than most realize. Obviously, Bert Jones career was before my time but watching the film reminded me a lot of AJ.

What I've heard anecdotally about Bert Jones is that he was a much better player than his career success would dictate. He played in the height of the Oakland/Pittsburgh dominance of the AFC, so there was little opportunity to get the playoff success most greats get at QB. He got injured heading into the prime of his career too.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Does AJ remind you of any NFL quarterbacks currently or in the past?

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    I was watching NFL Films a while back - after posting in this topic a month or so ago - and McCarron looks a lot like this former LSU and Baltimore Colts QB Bert Jones. Tall, lanky, better arm than most realize. Obviously, Bert Jones career was before my time but watching the film reminded me a lot of AJ.

What I've heard anecdotally about Bert Jones is that he was a much better player than his career success would dictate. He played in the height of the Oakland/Pittsburgh dominance of the AFC, so there was little opportunity to get the playoff success most greats get at QB. He got injured heading into the prime of his career too.
    Very strong arm and a tuff competitor. Did an outdoors show for a few years as I recall.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

McCarron's competiveness is an underrated quality. He's one of the few guys where I felt like they had to reel him in more than wind him up. He has the mentality of a linemen or tailback which isn't always what you need from a quarterback.

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post

I remember Bert Jones well. Like you said, his pro career was derailed due to injury but he was a heck of a qb. I like the comparison.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Not sure about passing style.

I see Peyton Manning every time I see AJ barking out orders and pointing out the coverage.
    When I think of Peyton's footwork, I don't really think of AJ.
    The Concord Blue Devils, 15-Time World Champions: 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2003, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1994, 1986, 1982, 1980, 1979, 1977, and 1976. Enriching the lives of young people through a commitment to youth development and performance excellence.

“Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music.” ― Sergei Rachmaninoff

“The discovery of a wine is of greater moment than the discovery of a constellation. The universe is too full of stars.” ― Benjamin Franklin

BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

AJ is like a cross between Bart Starr & Kenny Stabler to me. Just enough bad boy & very respectful, tough, smart QB!

AJ will be the standard future Alabama QB's will want to reach & have the hardware to back it.

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamacon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Does AJ remind you of any NFL quarterbacks currently or in the past?

All I know is that if Joe Flacco can make it in the NFL, AJ should do just fine. Just as long as no one says Jim McMahon. . It's the shades.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

When he passes from the pocket he reminds me of Flacco. But Flacco's got bricks tied around his ankles. AJ has more mobility and foot speed than Flacco.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Second Team smohabbat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    When he passes from the pocket he reminds me of Flacco. But Flacco's got bricks tied around his ankles. AJ has more mobility and foot speed than Flacco.
    Flacco isnt slow or anything. If one watches enough Baltimore games they'll see how often he extends plays and the occasional qb scramble up the middle. That said, flacco has a HUGE arm not comparable to anyone in the NFL.

McCarron reminds me of no one really. He's his own player. Can run pretty well for extending plays and his 10-15 yard passes are deadly accurate. I expect to see his deep ball get even more spot on in the off season...it got much better later in the year

Alabama Crimson Tide

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by dvldog View Post
    Very strong arm and a tuff competitor. Did an outdoors show for a few years as I recall.
    Bert Jones was a great QB. He was NFL MVP one year in the '70's and the Colts were perennial contenders while he was playing. He was drafted very high in the first round. Arm cannon. IIRC, he had a shoulder injury and was sidelined for a couple of years and the Colts became doormats.

He was a very exciting player to watch and one of the best QB's of his day.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    Bert Jones was a great QB. He was NFL MVP one year in the '70's and the Colts were perennial contenders while he was playing. He was drafted very high in the first round. Arm cannon. IIRC, he had a shoulder injury and was sidelined for a couple of years and the Colts became doormats.

He was a very exciting player to watch and one of the best QB's of his day.
    He threw the prettiest pass I believe I've ever seen. The ball never fluttered at all.
    And cannon may be an understatement. I don't know that I've ever seen a stronger arm although the young Namath had a bazooka as well.