Does AJ remind you of any NFL quarterbacks currently or in the past?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's interesting to go back and read the progression of this thread. It was started right after the big win against LSU, but then remember what happened the next week? AJ has his worst game and throws two INTs and we lost to TAMU.

Now fast forward and consider what AJ did against the Barn, Georgia and ND!

And in two straight BCSNCGs he plays lights out.

With one more year of growth I think AJ has "solid pro" written all over him and maybe even the potential for stardom if he can land with the right team.

If he really has similar skills physically and intellectually to Ryan and Brady then he'll do just fine!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I was watching NFL Films a while back - after posting in this topic a month or so ago - and McCarron looks a lot like this former LSU and Baltimore Colts QB Bert Jones. Tall, lanky, better arm than most realize. Obviously, Bert Jones career was before my time but watching the film reminded me a lot of AJ.

What I've heard anecdotally about Bert Jones is that he was a much better player than his career success would dictate. He played in the height of the Oakland/Pittsburgh dominance of the AFC, so there was little opportunity to get the playoff success most greats get at QB. He got injured heading into the prime of his career too.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I was watching NFL Films a while back - after posting in this topic a month or so ago - and McCarron looks a lot like this former LSU and Baltimore Colts QB Bert Jones. Tall, lanky, better arm than most realize. Obviously, Bert Jones career was before my time but watching the film reminded me a lot of AJ.

What I've heard anecdotally about Bert Jones is that he was a much better player than his career success would dictate. He played in the height of the Oakland/Pittsburgh dominance of the AFC, so there was little opportunity to get the playoff success most greats get at QB. He got injured heading into the prime of his career too.
Very strong arm and a tuff competitor. Did an outdoors show for a few years as I recall.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
McCarron's competiveness is an underrated quality. He's one of the few guys where I felt like they had to reel him in more than wind him up. He has the mentality of a linemen or tailback which isn't always what you need from a quarterback.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012

I remember Bert Jones well. Like you said, his pro career was derailed due to injury but he was a heck of a qb. I like the comparison.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
AJ is like a cross between Bart Starr & Kenny Stabler to me. Just enough bad boy & very respectful, tough, smart QB!

AJ will be the standard future Alabama QB's will want to reach & have the hardware to back it.

smohabbat

Scout Team
Oct 13, 2011
When he passes from the pocket he reminds me of Flacco. But Flacco's got bricks tied around his ankles. AJ has more mobility and foot speed than Flacco.
Flacco isnt slow or anything. If one watches enough Baltimore games they'll see how often he extends plays and the occasional qb scramble up the middle. That said, flacco has a HUGE arm not comparable to anyone in the NFL.

McCarron reminds me of no one really. He's his own player. Can run pretty well for extending plays and his 10-15 yard passes are deadly accurate. I expect to see his deep ball get even more spot on in the off season...it got much better later in the year

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Very strong arm and a tuff competitor. Did an outdoors show for a few years as I recall.
Bert Jones was a great QB. He was NFL MVP one year in the '70's and the Colts were perennial contenders while he was playing. He was drafted very high in the first round. Arm cannon. IIRC, he had a shoulder injury and was sidelined for a couple of years and the Colts became doormats.

He was a very exciting player to watch and one of the best QB's of his day.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Bert Jones was a great QB. He was NFL MVP one year in the '70's and the Colts were perennial contenders while he was playing. He was drafted very high in the first round. Arm cannon. IIRC, he had a shoulder injury and was sidelined for a couple of years and the Colts became doormats.

He was a very exciting player to watch and one of the best QB's of his day.
He threw the prettiest pass I believe I've ever seen. The ball never fluttered at all.
And cannon may be an understatement. I don't know that I've ever seen a stronger arm although the young Namath had a bazooka as well.

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile
Flacco isnt slow or anything. If one watches enough Baltimore games they'll see how often he extends plays and the occasional qb scramble up the middle. That said, flacco has a HUGE arm not comparable to anyone in the NFL.

McCarron reminds me of no one really. He's his own player. Can run pretty well for extending plays and his 10-15 yard passes are deadly accurate. I expect to see his deep ball get even more spot on in the off season...it got much better later in the year

I agree on both of these. It doesn't always look pretty, but at least once a game Flacco will escape the pocket and gain 10-15 yards with his feet. He did it again last night. As for his arm, it's probably the strongest in the NFL and definitely in the top three.

Minedweller

Dec 16, 2012
Matt Ryan is the one that comes to mind for me. I believe that, barring injury, McCarron could possibly become an elite QB at the next level. He has the size, smarts, and an above average arm. It'll be interesting to see how his NFL career pans out.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.