Does AJ remind you of any NFL quarterbacks currently or in the past?

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Does AJ remind you of any NFL quarterbacks currently or in the past?

He reminds me of Eli Manning the most hands down. His entire approach reminds me of ELI, from technique in different scenarios to intelligence.. I was taken to the whipping post when I mentioned Peyton earlier this year in a comparison, which was justified, but I later found out that AJ attended the manning camps and it's not a stretch to think he might model himself after the two, so I was at least on to something.

AJ has bulked up a lot in the past 18 months and his frame with the long torso again is a Manning trait, he resembles them physically. Not a great physical speciman, but thick with good footwork who can throw accurately while running. AJ's ability to make good audibles at the line(Like Eli) will help his NFL stock a lot. He also proved his play in the clutch(Eli)

AJ is going to be a starter in the NFL eventually and our best prospect since Todd. His overall game is better than Brodie Croyle at this point which says a lot. He is a lot stronger than Brodie for one thing and has been better coached.

So which NFL quarterback does he remind you of?

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Not sure about passing style.

I see Peyton Manning every time I see AJ barking out orders and pointing out the coverage.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Good post, I begrudgingly agree! I think overall college careers AJ is way better at this point than Eli was, although Eli had that all world performance against us that one time. But yeah, you hit the nail on the head.
Eli didn't have the weapons around him at Ole Miss that AJ does at Alabama.

I do remember that thrashing in 2003.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Good post, I begrudgingly agree! I think overall college careers AJ is way better at this point than Eli was, although Eli had that all world performance against us that one time. But yeah, you hit the nail on the head.
I'm not sure about that. If not for Eli, Ole Miss isn't in contention for the SEC West in 2003.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Eli is a much better athlete. The best plan for AJ is to get drafted by a good team with a solid, older veteran QB. AJ has been held under wraps at Alabama as a QB. He only has one 300+ yd game in his career. It's not his fault, he just hasn't had the opportunity to put the ball in the air. He has competed against some NFL type CBs and that will help him put the ball in a tight spot like the NFL requires.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
The closest I could compare him to is Matt Ryan. Nearly identical height & weight. Both are very smart with the football & throw minimal INT's.

Neither are overly flashy or thought of as elite, but they're always better than people give them credit for.

Stonewall1959

2nd Team
Oct 5, 2005
Macon, Georgia
The closest I could compare him to is Matt Ryan. Nearly identical height & weight. Both are very smart with the football & throw minimal INT's.

Neither are overly flashy or thought of as elite, but they're always better than people give them credit for.
Came into this thread to post this. Looks a lot like Matt Ryan to me in stature and the way he handles himself in the game. Smart enough to throw the ball away, calls the right plays when he changes plays, can run when he has to.

Even their personalities seem similar. Would love to see AJ in Atlanta in a couple of years as the backup to Matt.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Eli was not nearly as touted out of HS than his brother but has proven to be better in the clutch imo. I like Eli and was glad when he picked Ole Miss to stay in the West Division.

Eli is a much better athlete.
He had a rough start to his career even throughout his 1st Super Bowl. He had very little consistency, but when he did play well it was good.

I am not saying that AJ is going to be in competition for the 1st pick, but AJ is a good athlete.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If he elects for the draft this year (I've heard both sides of the debate) I'd say the drive on Saturday night will be huge for him. A GM for a pro team will like what they saw...especially the adversity that he overcame in that hostile environment.

FWIW, he kind of reminds me of Tom Brady and with Brady getting some wear on his tires that would be a first class place to land and have the opportunity to learn under arguably the best qb in the NFL in the last 10-15 years. I think CNS would approve of AJ being coached by his mentor as well!

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
As much as I hate to say this... I think Scarbinsky is right. Tom Brady. They are great game managers,pocket passers, and role players

The reason is Brady at Michigan was always looked as a scapegoat to having a bad year,and many felt this highly talent recruit was going to take his spot as starting qb. But as history would have it Brady his senior season went crazy, beat out his competition, and won in many clutch games (including the 00 Orange Bowl... Dangit Pflugner)

In contrast AJ his sophomore year was looked at as the potential weak link in the team. A good portion of Bama nation favored an athlethic QB in Phillip Simms. But AJ stepped up and won the position and has preformed well in clutch momments as well.

The biggest differences are that Michigan fans actually hated Brady until he won that Orange Bowl and he was not a big name in the media until pro. Where AJ Tidefans were very supportive and the medi cant get enough of him

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
The one area that scouts don't get to gauge is how our players react to losing. Trent didn't take it so well but is adapting. I do hope that AJ doesn't land with a team like Cleveland, Cincinatti or KC. Brady went to a team that was struggling like the Mannings . but all three had owners who made sure they had order in the house and locker room. A good environment. GMAC let us know about a bad locker room. I hope he gets out of NY

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I love AJ and he has played very well but he is nowhere close to either Eli or Peyton when they were in college.
Those guys had rockets on their shoulders and could read any defense that was thrown at them.
Again, nothing against AJ but my goodness..lol
He reminds me of Brodie more than anybody except he makes much much better decisions.
sip

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Well, I won't compare AJ to Eli until / unless AJ acts like a spoiled brat and refuses to sign with the team he's drafted by, as if he deserves something better.
In his defense a little, I think that was more on his father. No way Eli would have the insight or nerve to do that on his own. I am sure he trusted his father. This is a lot different from a Craig James situation imo.

At 14-2 they fire Schottenheimer and trade away Drew Brees because of his playoff record. That was a stupid move. If they had sat tight for a couple of years they would all be sporting rings. Rivers could have sat on the bench for another year or two, better yet traded.

But I agree that it was unacceptable to refuse a team with the 1st pick. But if you want to be as extreme as start calling out "spoiled brat" I believe there are about a good 20 in front of Eli. His behavior as a quarterback is admirable.

Last edited:

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I love AJ and he has played very well but he is nowhere close to either Eli or Peyton when they were in college.
Those guys had rockets on their shoulders and could read any defense that was thrown at them.
Again, nothing against AJ but my goodness..lol
He reminds me of Brodie more than anybody except he makes much much better decisions.
sip
By all accounts, AJ has one of the strongest arms in the SEC if not the nation, and his 0 INT's should tell you all you need to know about how well he reads defenses.

I'm not comparing him to either of the Manning's, but if we're only using your two arguments above, then he's every bit as good as they were at those things.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I did not intend this thread to be so literally, but reminds you of, in the mold of. I know that AJ is not Eli Manning, but his game resembles his when I think of NFL QB's.

Anyone else?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.