Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JPT4Bama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How does A&M's O-line compare with LSU's O-line?

Supposed to be their strength, along with the QB obviously. The two best defenses they played stuffed them pretty good as I expect we will.
    Ask me about my vow of silence.

2. Advertisement
    FB | REC Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Slightly better overall, though with a different style. Quality run blocking line at A&M, but I tend to a bit more athletic at some positions, better in pass protection, but not quite the maulers like you find at LSU.

BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

We'll play a lot of contain, pressure won't likely be the gameplan for the most part. I would think we'd run a similar game plan as we did against Michigan.
    Serve no master but your own ambition.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Jackie Sherrill said the A&M O line is more athletic than Bama's but not as big or physical.
    Bamabww

BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

One area help out others in defense. If our DB'S cover like we know they can, with no one open then it becomes panic not plan.

Linebackers need to have a really heads up game & not run past the QB ever, just like Alabama handled the Tebow.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Al A Bama View Post
    I would say that the Aggie OL is better, because of the losses in LSU's line to injury.
    Exactly. LSU's offensive line is the biggest weakness on their team. You can't lose three starters to injury and expect to be good.
    There's simply not very many outstanding offensive linemen available. Kinda like Coach Saban said, "We're not deep on the O-Line but nobody else is either".

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabww View Post
    Jackie Sherrill said the A&M O line is more athletic than Bama's but not as big or physical.
    Sort of like Utah?
    Life is short, ocassionally bend the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Play this guy like we did Tebow, Robinson, Cam (first 3 quarters of that iron bowl ) and resist the urge to block his fake throw passes <- lots harder said than done. Dude plays like the annoying kid you used to play backyard football with when you were young.
    Last edited by theballguy; November 7th, 2012 at 08:14 AM. Reason: emphasis
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BigEasyTider View Post
    Slightly better overall, though with a different style. Quality run blocking line at A&M, but I tend to a bit more athletic at some positions, better in pass protection, but not quite the maulers like you find at LSU.
    That was my take also.
    TAMU has some pro prospects, but I don't think they can take the pounding like the LSU guys.
    We're gonna play hard physical football and the guys in the middle of the TAMU line will too,
    but for how long?
    Our secret weapon all year is we can substitute players that are about as good
    as the guy who just went out.
    Does TAMU have the depth, or will they be worn down in the 4th quarter?

I love the battle in the trenches.
    Nowadays everyone has a few 'Big uglies', but do they have talented 2-3-4-5s.
    FWIW: I love it when we pound the ball.
    I like the 3 yds. and a cloud of dust, but I like it better, if there is blood on the turf...
    BTW: The rules have all but eliminated my kind of football.
    Last edited by Ole Man Dan; November 7th, 2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: format

BamaNation First Team Highway59's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Man Dan View Post
    That was my take also.
    TAMU has some pro prospects, but I don't think they can take the pounding like the LSU guys.
    We're gonna play hard physical football and the guys in the middle of the TAMU line will too,
    but for how long?
    Our secret weapon all year is we can substitute players that are about as good
    as the guy who just went out.
    Does TAMU have the depth, or will they be worn down in the 4th quarter?

I love the battle in the trenches.
    Nowadays everyone has a few 'Big uglies', but do they have talented 2-3-4-5s.
    FWIW: I love it when we pound the ball.
    I like the 3 yds. and a cloud of dust, but I like it better, if there is blood on the turf...
    BTW: The rules have all but eliminated my kind of football.

I like the 7 yds. and a cloud of dust

BamaNation Second Team TideLegacy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A&M has the 2nd best OL in the SEC behind Bama. LT Joeckel will be the best OT on the field Sat. and 2nd best OL behind Barrett Jones. Bama has the better overall OL. A&M OL is extremely athletic but are not playing a pro-style power block off the line of scrimmage scheme as last year. Having said that it is also not a true spread like most would think of a spread team. A&M will get under center, run with a lead blocker, have OL in 3 point stance where most spread teams they always start in pass-pro stand-up stance, etc.

Last two blowouts over Barn and MSU A&M had more rushing yards than passing and all TDs vs. MSU were rushing, not passing.

Florida was Manziels first college game and he wasn't ready, very few freshman QBs are ready in game 1 to face a defense like that. Some 6 or 7 games later Manziel led the Aggie O to over 400 yards vs. LSU (A&M lost due to 4 TOs, 2 were on Manziel INT - 3rd was a perfectly thrown tipped pass).

I don't expect Bama D to have real problems with A&M overall but to answer the question A&M has a very good OL and will be able to handle a Bama rush of 3 or 4. To get pressure Bama will have to send a 5th.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

LSU managed 2.8 yards per carry. Their OL wasn't exactly opening us up to the run.

WE kept them in the game by blitzing on third down, and Mett burning us with passes he wouldn't have made just 2 weeks ago.

We don't need to blitz, and against A&M's QB we won't - that's a given. We'll spy him, our LB's will stay home, and he will be contained.
    Honey Badger can take what the Tide gives him and like it.

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

aTm's strength on their O-Line is at tackle, on both sides. Alabama's strength on the D-Line is up the middle. IMO, this is a match-up problem that will really hurt aTm. Williams will be able to collapse the pocket from the middle, pushing the O-Line back on most plays. He will also eat up two blockers, freeing up your linebackers to make plays in space.

As long as Alabama doesn't get too aggressive on the edge early, you will minimize the strength of their O-Line. In other words, if you are going to pressure their QB, do so up the middle where you have an advantage. Just play "contain" on the edges to minimize their strength - dominant tackles and a scrambling QB.