Question: How does A&M's O-line compare with LSU's O-line?

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Play this guy like we did Tebow, Robinson, Cam (first 3 quarters of that iron bowl :mad2::mad2::mad2: ) and resist the urge to block his fake throw passes <- lots harder said than done. Dude plays like the annoying kid you used to play backyard football with when you were young.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Slightly better overall, though with a different style. Quality run blocking line at A&M, but I tend to a bit more athletic at some positions, better in pass protection, but not quite the maulers like you find at LSU.
That was my take also.
TAMU has some pro prospects, but I don't think they can take the pounding like the LSU guys.
We're gonna play hard physical football and the guys in the middle of the TAMU line will too,
but for how long?
Our secret weapon all year is we can substitute players that are about as good
as the guy who just went out.
Does TAMU have the depth, or will they be worn down in the 4th quarter?

I love the battle in the trenches.
Nowadays everyone has a few 'Big uglies', but do they have talented 2-3-4-5s.
FWIW: I love it when we pound the ball.
I like the 3 yds. and a cloud of dust, but I like it better, if there is blood on the turf...
BTW: The rules have all but eliminated my kind of football. ;)

Last edited:

Highway59

1st Team
Jan 29, 2009
In Alabama off "highway59"
That was my take also.
TAMU has some pro prospects, but I don't think they can take the pounding like the LSU guys.
We're gonna play hard physical football and the guys in the middle of the TAMU line will too,
but for how long?
Our secret weapon all year is we can substitute players that are about as good
as the guy who just went out.
Does TAMU have the depth, or will they be worn down in the 4th quarter?

I love the battle in the trenches.
Nowadays everyone has a few 'Big uglies', but do they have talented 2-3-4-5s.
FWIW: I love it when we pound the ball.
I like the 3 yds. and a cloud of dust, but I like it better, if there is blood on the turf...
BTW: The rules have all but eliminated my kind of football. ;)

I like the 7 yds. and a cloud of dust:biggrin2:

TideLegacy

Scout Team
Nov 22, 2005
Dallas, TX
A&M has the 2nd best OL in the SEC behind Bama. LT Joeckel will be the best OT on the field Sat. and 2nd best OL behind Barrett Jones. Bama has the better overall OL. A&M OL is extremely athletic but are not playing a pro-style power block off the line of scrimmage scheme as last year. Having said that it is also not a true spread like most would think of a spread team. A&M will get under center, run with a lead blocker, have OL in 3 point stance where most spread teams they always start in pass-pro stand-up stance, etc.

Last two blowouts over Barn and MSU A&M had more rushing yards than passing and all TDs vs. MSU were rushing, not passing.

Florida was Manziels first college game and he wasn't ready, very few freshman QBs are ready in game 1 to face a defense like that. Some 6 or 7 games later Manziel led the Aggie O to over 400 yards vs. LSU (A&M lost due to 4 TOs, 2 were on Manziel INT - 3rd was a perfectly thrown tipped pass).

I don't expect Bama D to have real problems with A&M overall but to answer the question A&M has a very good OL and will be able to handle a Bama rush of 3 or 4. To get pressure Bama will have to send a 5th.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
LSU managed 2.8 yards per carry. Their OL wasn't exactly opening us up to the run.

WE kept them in the game by blitzing on third down, and Mett burning us with passes he wouldn't have made just 2 weeks ago.

We don't need to blitz, and against A&M's QB we won't - that's a given. We'll spy him, our LB's will stay home, and he will be contained.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
aTm's strength on their O-Line is at tackle, on both sides. Alabama's strength on the D-Line is up the middle. IMO, this is a match-up problem that will really hurt aTm. Williams will be able to collapse the pocket from the middle, pushing the O-Line back on most plays. He will also eat up two blockers, freeing up your linebackers to make plays in space.

As long as Alabama doesn't get too aggressive on the edge early, you will minimize the strength of their O-Line. In other words, if you are going to pressure their QB, do so up the middle where you have an advantage. Just play "contain" on the edges to minimize their strength - dominant tackles and a scrambling QB.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
How many yards per carry do you think LSU averaged? Felt like a lot? They had double the time of possession. ZM certainly had a good day passing.

LSU only averaged 2.8 yards per carry for the game. 4.9 yards per play.

Bama averaged over 6 yards per carry and 6 yards per play.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.