Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team
    Recipes

Re: where does smart end up?

After McElwain's struggles, staying Saban's DC might not sound that bad. I know money talks, but maybe there is some appeal in a transition plan as Saban's heir-apparent.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by TideMan09 View Post
    I'm beginning to get the feeling Coach Saban is grooming him to become our next HC after he retires..And I'm honestly good with that..Cause I think Coach Saban will stick around 5-7 more years..By then Coach Smart will know & understand the "Process" as good as his master..Why mess up a good thing when Coach Smart will be ready to take control when Coach Saban retires..Most folks won't like that idea & I didn't either a couple years ago..But..It's obvious Coach Smart has HC'ing material written all over him..I think it's worth giving it a try..Lets keep the "Process" going after Coach Saban retires..I have a feeling Coach Smart will do just that if giving the shot..JMO
    Hope it plays out as you described. UT may be after him since they got their AD from BAMA and got Sunseri also. It would be the best spot opening up next season.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by capnfrog View Post
    No way he goes to Ky. and hopefully not Tn., if Jimbo Fisher takes the albarn job then Smart would do good at FSU. I don't understand Fisher even considering Albarn as long as Jay Jacobs and Pat Dye are there oh yeah! and the yeller feller.
    Did not know Jimbo Fisher was considering the au job, only one question, WHY?
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

very strong possibility he stays at UA. Au and Ark are not a good fit for him. UT maybe, big job not in the west of the SEC but he would be unpopular there when he keeps Sal on board as his DC lol. No other job outside of Texas would really be big enough to draw him away from what hes got going for him, which is head coach in waiting at Both UA and UGA simultaneously.
    Serve no master but your own ambition.

BamaNation All-American theballguy's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TideMan09 View Post
    I'm good with that as well..But..I just assume he stays at Bama & learn all he can from the best HC in the business..
    To be perfectly honest, that's what I'd prefer too. Stay here -> , Kirby!
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Did not know Jimbo Fisher was considering the au job, only one question, WHY?
    because au fans say so, Don't buy what they are shoveling. its a downward move at this point for him. I think Strong is there top and best candidate and Petrino is off the table for all SEC jobs from what I'm hearing.
    Serve no master but your own ambition.

BamaNation All-American Al A Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ldlane View Post
    Unless he's taking Calipari's place and knows Bball there is no future at UK! Fact of life! It is a graveyard for Football and receives no financial support.
    I agree. A dead end job with little chance at championships and it would be downhill from there as maybe a DC or regular assistant coach again. Kentucky is a Basketball school.

If he leaves, he needs to go where he's got a fighting chance to be successful.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

BamaNation All-SEC

We'll have to wait and see what jobs open up at the end of the season. For the record, I don't think he goes anywhere this year. He'll get another huge bonus and raise for winning the NC. I can see him going to a smaller school. I think Chizik hangs around one more year. Charlie Strong goes to AU after next year and Smart takes over at Louisville.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GreatDanish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrollTide View Post
    After McElwain's struggles, staying Saban's DC might not sound that bad. I know money talks, but maybe there is some appeal in a transition plan as Saban's heir-apparent.
    if I am Kirby Smart, I would probably stay too. Like Chris Petersen... Better to make $700k a year in a very secure job where you are loved than to take $2 million in a new job in a new place with the possibility of being either unemployed or having a scar on your record in a few years.
    it has to be the right situation. If he thinks he has a good chance of replacing Saban eventually, it would be very wise for him to wait to be handed the keys to this machine. If he is offered a job like Texas, then he should take that. But I am not sure there is much to gain from a job like Arkansas.

FB | REC Moderator

Nowhere . As much as people seem to endlessly play-up Coach Smart , he's not qualified or experienced enough for ANY head coaching position in the SEC . JMO though
    "I know there's tremendous expectations here for what you would like to accomplish with this football program . I can tell you that however you feel about it , I have even higher expectations for what we want to accomplish . I want to win every game we play ." - Nick Saban 1/4/07

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    Amazed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 64met View Post
    In T Town as our D Coach!
    HC in waiting!

BamaNation First Team

Here is an off the wall scenario.

i say Louisville. Why? Strong has some very good street cred now. I imagine he will be in the market at Arkansas, Tennessee, Auburn, and Kentucky. He is a native from Arkansas so that may be a great fit, not to mention his contract is up either this year or next. If Strong takes any one of those, Louisville is a good school for building upon Smarts résumé. The cupboard is stocked, the conference is weak, and the area of the southeast regarding recruiting is fertile and familiar.

i would love him to be the head coach in waiting but that moniker has proved to chafe far too much for other coaches set up as HCIW in the past. I actually figured he was waiting on GA, but Richt is safe there at least 3 more years now after back to back SEC champ appearances.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

he's young. so he has all the time in the world to wait on Coach Saban to step away and take over at Bama