Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American bamabryan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: where does smart end up?

Quote Originally Posted by LCN View Post
    Nowhere . As much as people seem to endlessly play-up Coach Smart , he's not qualified or experienced enough for ANY head coaching position in the SEC . JMO though
    As much as I love CKS I shake my head when people suggest he will take over for CNS when he retires. I think CKS will have to leave Alabama and prove himself as a head coach at a major university before he will be considered to be the head coach at Alabama. We've tried the assistant coach route a couple of times and that did not work out so well for us. CKS may end up as our head coach at some point, but I think it's going to be down the road.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamabryan View Post
    As much as I love CKS I shake my head when people suggest he will take over for CNS when he retires. I think CKS will have to leave Alabama and prove himself as a head coach at a major university before he will be considered to be the head coach at Alabama. We've tried the assistant coach route a couple of times and that did not work out so well for us. CKS may end up as our head coach at some point, but I think it's going to be down the road.
    Everyone has their own opinion..I respect yours..I just don't agree with your assessment..Obviously Dumbose didn't work out..That doesn't mean Coach Smart taking over once Coach Saban retires won't..Coach Saban will leave our program in better shape than Coach Stallings did & if Coach Smart stays as our DC until Coach Saban retires..He will be ready to take over the "Process"..

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cool on TideFans.com

I think he stay's... I hope he stays....RTR
    " I THOUGHT THIS MUST BE WHAT GOD LOOKS LIKE."

GEORGE BLANDA
    in talking about Coach Paul Bryant

Alabama is 2- and 3-deep all over the place with full grown, meaner-than-he!! men. It's almost not fair making college kids play against them. Any Saban-coached team is going to be deep as he!! with recruits that have elite size, strength and experience at their position and they are going to play with incredible physicality.
    I support PAWS.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Did not know Jimbo Fisher was considering the au job, only one question, WHY?
    Just something I caught part of last saturday morning on 94.5. I thought they were saying it was cut and dried but I got busy and didn't catch the rest of it and no one else seems to have heard it. Might not be too bad a job if they get rid of Dye, Jacobs and yeller feller.
    Life is short, ocassionally bend the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JPT4Bama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he ends up at aTm next year after Mack Brown retires and Sumlin takes the Texas job. JF transfers to shorthorns. Done deal.
    Ask me about my vow of silence.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

The Gators and the Seminoles are doing pretty well with their inexperienced head coaches. Do you not think CKS is or will be as good as they are by the time CNS retires?
    Life is short, ocassionally bend the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

FB | REC Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by capnfrog View Post
    The Gators and the Seminoles are doing pretty well with their inexperienced head coaches. Do you not think CKS is or will be as good as they are by the time CNS retires?
    Lot easier said than done, and I doubt Smart gets a job as good as FSU or Florida. I think he can get the Tennessee job if he wants it, but that will be a long-term rebuild in a tough conference. He's not inheriting the cupcake conference that Jimbo did, or the strong roster that Muschamp did.

BamaNation First Team dadleyblane5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I don't see Kirby going anywhere, especially to a tier two team like the ones that were mentioned. I think he knows wat he's got right now at Bama and stays with us.

FB | REC Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dadleyblane5 View Post
    I don't see Kirby going anywhere, especially to a tier two team like the ones that were mentioned. I think he knows wat he's got right now at Bama and stays with us.
    Maybe next season, but clearly only a matter of time before he goes somewhere. Only way we can feasibly keep him in Tuscaloosa is to appoint him head coach-in-waiting, and even then Saban would have to step aside pretty quickly or it would be just like Muschamp at Texas.

BamaNation All-American bamabryan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TideMan09 View Post
    Everyone has their own opinion..I respect yours..I just don't agree with your assessment..Obviously Dumbose didn't work out..That doesn't mean Coach Smart taking over once Coach Saban retires won't..Coach Saban will leave our program in better shape than Coach Stallings did & if Coach Smart stays as our DC until Coach Saban retires..He will be ready to take over the "Process"..
    Not just any coach can be the head coach at Alabama in my opinion (Dubose, Price, Shula, Fran). CKS may well be one of those coaches one day, but I think he's going to have to leave Alabama to prove himself as a head coach before he becomes the head football coach at Alabama. I just don't see where we are going to hire a career assistant as our head coach.

I love CKS as a DC and recruiter. I think he's outstanding. I'm just not ready to name him head football coach at Alabama until he shows what he can do as a head football coach.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood

Not just any coach can be the head coach at Alabama in my opinion (Dubose, Price, Shula, Fran). CKS may well be one of those coaches one day, but I think he's going to have to leave Alabama to prove himself as a head coach before he becomes the head football coach at Alabama. I just don't see where we are going to hire a career assistant as our head coach.

I love CKS as a DC and recruiter. I think he's outstanding. I'm just not ready to name him head football coach at Alabama until he shows what he can do as a head football coach.
    I can understand that..I just think if he keeps the coaching staff that's in place & builds on the "Process" that's in place..He would do fine..I just think it's better than starting from scratch with another HC & worth a chance of taking with what Coach Saban has in place..That's just my opinion..

FB | REC Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TideMan09 View Post
    I can understand that..I just think ... He would do fine.
    I get your point, but that is admittedly far easier said than done.

When you are a DC, no matter how good you are, you are only in charge of about 40 kids and three position coaches. That's it. When you take the head job, you're in control of 85+ kids, eight coaches, it's your job to make all major recruiting decisions, coaching staff turnover decisions, speaking events, dealing with boosters and alums, constantly addressing the media, are the face of the program, etc. I don't care how good of a DC or OC you are, that's a big transition and even a lot of fine coaches fail in trying it.

I would think, given the overall strength of our program right now, that we would just poach another quality, established coach from another good program.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BigEasyTider View Post
    I get your point, but that is admittedly far easier said than done.

When you are a DC, no matter how good you are, you are only in charge of about 40 kids and three position coaches. That's it. When you take the head job, you're in control of 85+ kids, eight coaches, it's your job to make all major recruiting decisions, coaching staff turnover decisions, speaking events, dealing with boosters and alums, constantly addressing the media, are the face of the program, etc. I don't care how good of a DC or OC you are, that's a big transition and even a lot of fine coaches fail in trying it.

I would think, given the overall strength of our program right now, that we would just poach another quality, established coach from another good program.
    You make a valid point & am not arguing against that..I'm good with us poaching an established HC if that happens..I just think it would be smooth transition with Coach Saban teaching him & think it would work is all I'm saying..I'd prefer trying to keep the "Process" that's in place..JMO