Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American bamabryan's Avatar

Big A Re: where does smart end up?

Quote Originally Posted by capnfrog View Post
    The Gators and the Seminoles are doing pretty well with their inexperienced head coaches. Do you not think CKS is or will be as good as they are by the time CNS retires?
    Don't count me as one who is impressed with what Fisher and Muschamp have done as head coaches. Fisher is in his third year at F$U. He went 10-4 in 2010 and 9-4 in 2011 in a very, very weak ACC. He is 8-1 this year and is playing a high school schedule. I don't see anything impressive about this. Talent was not an issue when he took over at F$U. I'm not saying the team he took over had the best talent in the nation, but the cubbard certainly was not bare by a long shot. Muschamp has not made it through his second season at Florida and he went 7-6 last year.

I would not call either of these coaches a big success by any means. Both are at schools where they should win big. Neither have won any type of championship as a head coach and one of them coaches in the ACC. Sorry, I'm not impressed with either at this point. Muschamp has not beaten Georgia as a player or coach according to ESPN.

As for CKS I don't know. I think he's a great DC and recruiter. Coaching under CNS is a huge plus, but who knows what he will be like as a head coach? I would love to see him as the head coach at Alabama one day....... after he proves himself as a head football coach. I am not in favor of hiring an assistant coach as our head football coach.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team Crimson Grin's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: where does smart end up?

Quote Originally Posted by BigEasyTider View Post
    I get your point, but that is admittedly far easier said than done.

When you are a DC, no matter how good you are, you are only in charge of about 40 kids and three position coaches. That's it. When you take the head job, you're in control of 85+ kids, eight coaches, it's your job to make all major recruiting decisions, coaching staff turnover decisions, speaking events, dealing with boosters and alums, constantly addressing the media, are the face of the program, etc. I don't care how good of a DC or OC you are, that's a big transition and even a lot of fine coaches fail in trying it.

I would think, given the overall strength of our program right now, that we would just poach another quality, established coach from another good program.
    This^^ We are Alabama and don't have to try an unknown, with what we have only the proven best will do. When that day does come why would Alabama settle with an unknown...why?

FB | REC Moderator

Here's one question - How many 1st time head coaches have had highly successful championship type runs in the SEC ?

I would say Phillip Fulmer , but that was unique as he had proved to be worthy while coaching the viles on an interim basis .
    Last edited by LCN; November 7th, 2012 at 12:13 AM.
    "I know there's tremendous expectations here for what you would like to accomplish with this football program . I can tell you that however you feel about it , I have even higher expectations for what we want to accomplish . I want to win every game we play ." - Nick Saban 1/4/07

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    My Mood
    Amazed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TideMan09 View Post
    I'm beginning to get the feeling Coach Saban is grooming him to become our next HC after he retires..And I'm honestly good with that..Cause I think Coach Saban will stick around 5-7 more years..By then Coach Smart will know & understand the "Process" as good as his master..Why mess up a good thing when Coach Smart will be ready to take control when Coach Saban retires..Most folks won't like that idea & I didn't either a couple years ago..But..It's obvious Coach Smart has HC'ing material written all over him..I think it's worth giving it a try..Lets keep the "Process" going after Coach Saban retires..I have a feeling Coach Smart will do just that if giving the shot..JMO
    I think if this wasn't the case that he would have taken the DC job at his alma mater. I have no doubt that he'll be Coach Saban's successor right after Coach Saban wins his seventh national title

BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Where does Kirby Smart end up?

Please just not API or 10rc, please.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TideMan09 View Post
    I'm beginning to get the feeling Coach Saban is grooming him to become our next HC after he retires..And I'm honestly good with that..Cause I think Coach Saban will stick around 5-7 more years..By then Coach Smart will know & understand the "Process" as good as his master..Why mess up a good thing when Coach Smart will be ready to take control when Coach Saban retires..Most folks won't like that idea & I didn't either a couple years ago..But..It's obvious Coach Smart has HC'ing material written all over him..I think it's worth giving it a try..Lets keep the "Process" going after Coach Saban retires..I have a feeling Coach Smart will do just that if giving the shot..JMO
    That sums it up right there. RTR

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

He stays at Alabama if he gets an under the table promise of succession, which I think he will. Is he happy, is he already making more than half the head coaches......I think so.

Answer, Alabama.

And on the original post. Texas would have never let Muschamp go if they wanted him to be the next coach. I think they had a change of heart.

BamaNation First Team Rolltide_PA's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

i believe he stays at Alabama until

1) Coach Saban retires and he's promoted into the HC job
    2) Mark Richt leaves or is forced out at UGA

BamaNation All-American 230kv_barehand's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I don't think Kirby goes anywhere. I think he stays. I think he might understand he has a pretty cushy job here that pays fairly well and some coaches are content with that.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by bamabryan View Post
    Don't count me as one who is impressed with what Fisher and Muschamp have done as head coaches. Fisher is in his third year at F$U. He went 10-4 in 2010 and 9-4 in 2011 in a very, very weak ACC. He is 8-1 this year and is playing a high school schedule. I don't see anything impressive about this. Talent was not an issue when he took over at F$U. I'm not saying the team he took over had the best talent in the nation, but the cubbard certainly was not bare by a long shot. Muschamp has not made it through his second season at Florida and he went 7-6 last year.

I would not call either of these coaches a big success by any means. Both are at schools where they should win big. Neither have won any type of championship as a head coach and one of them coaches in the ACC. Sorry, I'm not impressed with either at this point. Muschamp has not beaten Georgia as a player or coach according to ESPN.

As for CKS I don't know. I think he's a great DC and recruiter. Coaching under CNS is a huge plus, but who knows what he will be like as a head coach? I would love to see him as the head coach at Alabama one day....... after he proves himself as a head football coach. I am not in favor of hiring an assistant coach as our head football coach.
    Fisher took the schedule he was dealt, he didn't just come in and start demanding an easy schedule. Look at CNS first year at Bama, not that great but he didn't have a full cupboard to work with either. Muschamp is changing from a spread offense to more of a pro set offense and that takes time. You have to get your own people in place. 9 and 10 wins seasons ain't too shabby unless you're Bama. Just my way of thinking.
    Last edited by capnfrog; November 7th, 2012 at 09:41 AM.
    Life is short, ocassionally bend the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

No way he goes to Ky. and hopefully not Tn., if Jimbo Fisher takes the albarn job then Smart would do good at FSU. I don't understand Fisher even considering Albarn as long as Jay Jacobs and Pat Dye are there oh yeah! and the yeller feller.
    Auburn is a 'step-down' from FSU.
    One of the main problems at Auburn is that the coach isn't the one pulling the strings.
    At auburn the power has always been the boosters.

Auburn thinks they are a big time program and deserving of great respect. (Delusional)
    I could see Auburn make a play at a lot of coaches who would not be interested.
    They say they aren't interested, but Bobby Petrino may just be their man.
    I said from the beginning that Tubby might be interested in going back home...
    to Arkansas, not Auburn.
    Kentucky might hire Mike Price. Dead end coach at a Dead end job...
    Last edited by Ole Man Dan; November 7th, 2012 at 01:24 PM. Reason: format

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

If CKS stays till CNS retires I'd be ok with giving him a shot. This is assuming CNS coaches another 5-7 years and continues this current run of dominance. By then, CKS has 6 or 7 championship rings and has observed from the best while standing right beside him all those years on the Bama sideline.

Who else would you feel more comfortable with unless another, young CNS has risen to the top of the ranks by then?

And if that next CNS isn't obvious, wouldn't we hate to see CKS move over to Georgia and suddenly become the next CNS?

I'd be willing to take the gamble of him trying to do that at Bama! JMHOFWIW

BamaNation All-American bamabryan's Avatar

Fisher took the schedule he was dealt, he didn't just come in and start demanding an easy schedule. Look at CNS first year at Bama, not that great but he didn't have a full cupboard to work with either. Muschamp is changing from a spread offense to more of a pro set offense and that takes time. You have to get your own people in place. 9 and 10 wins seasons ain't too shabby unless you're Bama. Just my way of thinking.

You were the one who said Florida and F$U are doing pretty well.

I've never been impressed with Fisher as a head coach. Personally I think he's gotten where he is today all because he coached under CNS. I think it's too early to say on Muschamp, but he better learn to beat Georgia if he's going to stick around at Florida.

As for the schedule Fisher coaches in the ACC. I think it's a lot easier to go undefeated in the ACC than the SEC and CNS won a national championship at Alabama in his third year. Also I think Fisher walked into a much better situation than Saban as far as the type of talent he inherited verses what Fisher walked into.