BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: where does smart end up?

Quote Originally Posted by Rolltide_PA View Post
    i believe he stays at Alabama until

1) Coach Saban retires and he's promoted into the HC job
    2) Mark Richt leaves or is forced out at UGA
    Kind of my feeling about it as well. I don't know diddlysquat about what is in his mind though. If he gets offered the world somewhere with a good system in place ... you never know. I am just happy he is here now and working so well with Coach Saban et al.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame bamachile's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Why would anyone want the Arky job? What recruiting sells pitch do you have? "Hey, come here and win! We are in the same division as Alabama, LSU, and Texas A&M!" Plus, there's not much in-state talent.
    I've heard this argument a few times, but I don't buy it. Arkansauce may not register with the traditional elites, but it is certainly a better coaching opportunity than a directional school, a WAC or MAC school, or even a somewhat smaller but reasonably solid program such as Louisville or Wake Forest. Strictly as a coaching opportunity, I would rate Arkansas or even Auburn (dumpster fire that it is) above Clemson, Colorado, Boston College, and several other schools which have had some measure of success.

Fire away.
    “Louisiana is a fresh-air mental asylum.”
    ― James Lee Burke, Pegasus Descending

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

I agree, Arkansas isn't Alabama, UF, UGA or LSU, but it is equal to or better than any other SEC program.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation First Team

I could see him coming back to Bama after a HC stint somewhere else. I just don't see Bama hiring a guy with no HC experience. That did not work out so well last time. I do think CKS is going to be an excellent HC, but seasoning is necessary to handle a premier job in not only the SEC but all of college football. An ACC job or a Big 12 job could be great preparation for a return to T-town someday.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Shocked on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjue24 View Post
    I could see him coming back to Bama after a HC stint somewhere else. I just don't see Bama hiring a guy with no HC experience. That did not work out so well last time. I do think CKS is going to be an excellent HC, but seasoning is necessary to handle a premier job in not only the SEC but all of college football. An ACC job or a Big 12 job could be great preparation for a return to T-town someday.
    That would be great...

BamaNation Second Team

Re: Where does Kirby Smart end up?

I do not think CNS will coach another 5 to 7 years. I really think we are looking at another 2 to 3 years tops before he retires. I also think that is the reason CKS is still at Bama, because he is being groomed by the best damn coach in college football to take over a program that is on top of the world. The "PROCESS" is not only with the building of the team, but also with the building of the coaching staff. I for one hopes that CKS stays around because I think he will make one hell of a HC.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BAMAFAN IN NY's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonman38 View Post
    I do not think CNS will coach another 5 to 7 years. I really think we are looking at another 2 to 3 years tops before he retires. I also think that is the reason CKS is still at Bama, because he is being groomed by the best damn coach in college football to take over a program that is on top of the world. The "PROCESS" is not only with the building of the team, but also with the building of the coaching staff. I for one hopes that CKS stays around because I think he will make one hell of a HC.
    What evidence are you basing this on?
    Touch that thang fo!-- Courtney Upshaw

BamaNation Second Team

Just basing this on my gut feelings. I saw something Saturday when they were interviewing CNS and AJ after the game. I know the game was very emotional, but CNS acually teared up when AJ was speaking. I have never known CNS to do that

Originally Posted by crimsonman38 I do not think CNS will coach another 5 to 7 years. I really think we are looking at another 2 to 3 years tops before he retires. I also think that is the reason CKS is still at Bama, because he is being groomed by the best damn coach in college football to take over a program that is on top of the world. The "PROCESS" is not only with the building of the team, but also with the building of the coaching staff. I for one hopes that CKS stays around because I think he will make one hell of a HC.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAFAN IN NY View Post
    What evidence are you basing this on?
    This doesn't make a lot of sense. Obviously he's basing it on his performance in his current position, which is how we all get promoted.

I get that you don't want to hire a coordinator and that's a legitimate stance for sure, but you not knowing what he's basing his opinion on is hilarious.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    This doesn't make a lot of sense. Obviously he's basing it on his performance in his current position, which is how we all get promoted.

I get that you don't want to hire a coordinator and that's a legitimate stance for sure, but you not knowing what he's basing his opinion on is hilarious.
    I didnt say anything about who I want them to hire. But we havent seen Smart as a head coach. Good Coordinator doesnt mean good Head Coach.. It doesnt mean he wont be good either.

I was just curious as to what qualities he has seen that would indicate Smart would be "one hell of a head coach" I wasnt disagreeing with him really.

I believe a better question is as a coordinator what do you not like? Considering he is one of the top 5 in the country? His former peers at Florida and FSU are doing fairly well for 1st time head coaches. To me that's important.

Dubose is going to be the thorn in Kirby's side, and I am not sure if it's a fair comparison considering the coaches that have branched from CNS.

Imo, if Coach Saban endorses coach Smart, he will get the job. And I am in the camp that believes he will only coach at most 4 more years. After a break, not sure if he would do any more coaching, probably not.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Good points

For those saying CNS won't coach too much long:

What has CNS said to indicate he's getting tired of coaching? He looks like he's having a lot of fun and he's recruiting like he's planning on being around for quite a while.