Where does Kirby Smart end up?

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Originally Posted by crimsonman38 I do not think CNS will coach another 5 to 7 years. I really think we are looking at another 2 to 3 years tops before he retires. I also think that is the reason CKS is still at Bama, because he is being groomed by the best damn coach in college football to take over a program that is on top of the world. The "PROCESS" is not only with the building of the team, but also with the building of the coaching staff. I for one hopes that CKS stays around because I think he will make one hell of a HC.

What evidence are you basing this on?
This doesn't make a lot of sense. Obviously he's basing it on his performance in his current position, which is how we all get promoted.

I get that you don't want to hire a coordinator and that's a legitimate stance for sure, but you not knowing what he's basing his opinion on is hilarious.

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
This doesn't make a lot of sense. Obviously he's basing it on his performance in his current position, which is how we all get promoted.

I get that you don't want to hire a coordinator and that's a legitimate stance for sure, but you not knowing what he's basing his opinion on is hilarious.
I didnt say anything about who I want them to hire. But we havent seen Smart as a head coach. Good Coordinator doesnt mean good Head Coach.. It doesnt mean he wont be good either.

I was just curious as to what qualities he has seen that would indicate Smart would be "one hell of a head coach" I wasnt disagreeing with him really.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I believe a better question is as a coordinator what do you not like? Considering he is one of the top 5 in the country? His former peers at Florida and FSU are doing fairly well for 1st time head coaches. To me that's important.

Dubose is going to be the thorn in Kirby's side, and I am not sure if it's a fair comparison considering the coaches that have branched from CNS.

Imo, if Coach Saban endorses coach Smart, he will get the job. And I am in the camp that believes he will only coach at most 4 more years. After a break, not sure if he would do any more coaching, probably not.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
For those saying CNS won't coach too much long:

What has CNS said to indicate he's getting tired of coaching? He looks like he's having a lot of fun and he's recruiting like he's planning on being around for quite a while.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
For those saying CNS won't coach too much long:

What has CNS said to indicate he's getting tired of coaching? He looks like he's having a lot of fun and he's recruiting like he's planning on being around for quite a while.
I'm guessing the contract extension until 2020 is the reason for people believing that. :wink:

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
I believe a better question is as a coordinator what do you not like? Considering he is one of the top 5 in the country? His former peers at Florida and FSU are doing fairly well for 1st time head coaches. To me that's important.
The job description of a coordinator and a head coach are quite different. There is some overlap, but the huge amount of non-overlap is why so many great coordinators flame out as head coaches.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
The job description of a coordinator and a head coach are quite different. There is some overlap, but the huge amount of non-overlap is why so many great coordinators flame out as head coaches.
Every promotion I've ever had was based on current job performance. Do a good job, people notice,
and someone gets the idea that you can perform well at the next level.
My promotions came as a result of convincing people that I was smart, tough, took no guff,
and always got the job done.
In life those qualities are noticed and considered when hires or promotions are considered.

Last edited:

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Trying to respond to multiple posts here with one post:

1) On the Arkansas job: The question regarding who can succeed at Arkansas is not tied to how well they recruit Arkansas. It's how well they recruit Louisiana, Texas (especially Texas) and the Memphis area of Tennessee. The state of Arkansas puts out about the same number of players annually as does the state of Tennessee. Tennessee's coach faces the same reality -- having to go outside the borders for talent. UT has more name recognition than Arkansas, but if you're at Arkansas and you can pull 7-10 really good Texas kids a year, you'll be fine.

2) Smart as some kind of coach-in-waiting: The only successful career assistant to ever make it at Alabama was Red Drew. And even he had prior head coaching experience at a smaller school, along with a one-year stint as head coach at Ole Miss. Shula, Whitworth and DuBose were all colossal busts. The problem with the Alabama job is that it's not just a head coaching job, it's a CEO job. Nick Saban could run any large company in the United States and it would succeed. Bryant, Wade and Thomas could have done the same and probably Gene Stallings as well. Can Kirby Smart? I don't know, and that's the problem -- nobody does until he finally gets the keys to a program. The real question is what kind of role Saban will play in picking his successor. If he retires on good terms at UA, I'm sure the school would listen closely to what he has to say, especially the current AD. If he elects to take a proactive role, he could recommend Smart, someone else on the staff or do what he did when he left LSU and allegedly recommend Houston Nutt. And the only thing I can say about that recommendation is, at least we know Saban is human, and isn't perfect. The point is, it's hard to say right now, and there is no plan in place to elevate Smart or anyone else. For that matter, God forbid Saban retired at the end of this year, I think Alabama would conduct a major search and would probably offer a big-name coach or two before turning to Smart or anyone else.

3) Where does Kirby end up next year: I'd say it's about 50/50 right now that he'd be back. I don't think Tennessee will go after him, because their fans are pushing for a proven name and they already have Saban proteges running the team and coordinating the defense, and it's not working out the way they want it to. I think there's an OK chance Arkansas and Auburn both talk to him, but I believe Arkansas covets Charlie Strong and Auburn will go after either Fisher or Petrino first. Also not sure that Smart would take the Auburn job at this point. Kentucky will end up with Dirk Koetter, I'm betting. The one thing I keep seeing people say is "Kirby needs to stay here rather than take a job at some podunk school..." No, he doesn't. Few people go from assistant to major, big-time head coaching job. Saban's first job was at Toledo. That's the kind of job Kirby is most likely to get.

Last edited:

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.
2) Smart as some kind of coach-in-waiting: The only successful career assistant to ever make it at Alabama was Red Drew. And even he had prior head coaching experience at a smaller school, along with a one-year stint as head coach at Ole Miss. Shula, Whitworth and DuBose were all colossal busts. The problem with the Alabama job is that it's not just a head coaching job, it's a CEO job. Nick Saban could run any large company in the United States and it would succeed. Bryant, Wade and Thomas could have done the same and probably Gene Stallings as well. Can Kirby Smart? I don't know, and that's the problem -- nobody does until he finally gets the keys to a program. The real question is what kind of role Saban will play in picking his successor. If he retires on good terms at UA, I'm sure the school would listen closely to what he has to say, especially the current AD. If he elects to take a proactive role, he could recommend Smart, someone else on the staff or do what he did when he left LSU and allegedly recommend Houston Nutt. And the only thing I can say about that recommendation is, at least we know Saban is human, and isn't perfect. The point is, it's hard to say right now, and there is no plan in place to elevate Smart or anyone else. For that matter, God forbid Saban retired at the end of this year, I think Alabama would conduct a major search and would probably offer a big-name coach or two before turning to Smart or anyone else.
This is why I think Smart is way down the list of perspective coaches to replace Saban. We have done the coordinator route before and it has not worked out for us. It's no knock on Smart. Until he proves himself as a head coach I think there is no way we will see him as head coach at Alabama. It takes a very special coach to handle being the head coach at the University of Alabama. That's a fact.

I think Smart is an outstanding coordinator, but I cannot help but shake my head when people suggest he is a coach in waiting. It ain't going to happen folks. He may end up as our head football coach one day, but that's going to be down the road a little bit after he proves himself as a head coach.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
Auburn is a 'step-down' from FSU.
One of the main problems at Auburn is that the coach isn't the one pulling the strings.
At auburn the power has always been the boosters.

Auburn thinks they are a big time program and deserving of great respect. (Delusional)
I could see Auburn make a play at a lot of coaches who would not be interested.
They say they aren't interested, but Bobby Petrino may just be their man.
I said from the beginning that Tubby might be interested in going back home...
to Arkansas, not Auburn.
Kentucky might hire Mike Price. Dead end coach at a Dead end job...
The barn power brokers are currently divided with half of them actually dying to hire Petrino .

tidestampede1

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 28, 2007
Re: where does smart end up?

I'm agreeing with Rush and Tide Man 09 , what's bad about CKS stickin around Bama ?

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

I don't like the "coach in waiting" stuff either but lets think this way IF CKS does not leave this year.

We all know an assistant just can't take the Bama job, but what a better way to learn than to be Saban's right hand man for a few years plus. I'd take that over someone else coming in that we're not sure of once CNS hangs it up. That would give Kirby YEARS under CNS at the same school which a lot of assistants don't have the advantage of. Most get moved up quickly and are thrown to the wolves. What if CKS is patient enough to stay and learn it all then is given the keys to a loaded Bama program with possibly 10+ years learning from the best? I'd take that..

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999

I'm agreeing with Rush and Tide Man 09 , what's bad about CKS stickin around Bama ?
From an Alabama fan's perspective, nothing. But it's Kirby's career we're talking about, and I suspect he wants to run his own gig at some point. Unless he secretly wants to be the next Ken Donahue.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.