Where does Kirby Smart end up?

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Re: where does smart end up?

We'll have to wait and see what jobs open up at the end of the season. For the record, I don't think he goes anywhere this year. He'll get another huge bonus and raise for winning the NC. I can see him going to a smaller school. I think Chizik hangs around one more year. Charlie Strong goes to AU after next year and Smart takes over at Louisville.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN

After McElwain's struggles, staying Saban's DC might not sound that bad. I know money talks, but maybe there is some appeal in a transition plan as Saban's heir-apparent.
if I am Kirby Smart, I would probably stay too. Like Chris Petersen... Better to make $700k a year in a very secure job where you are loved than to take $2 million in a new job in a new place with the possibility of being either unemployed or having a scar on your record in a few years.
it has to be the right situation. If he thinks he has a good chance of replacing Saban eventually, it would be very wise for him to wait to be handed the keys to this machine. If he is offered a job like Texas, then he should take that. But I am not sure there is much to gain from a job like Arkansas.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005

Nowhere . As much as people seem to endlessly play-up Coach Smart , he's not qualified or experienced enough for ANY head coaching position in the SEC . JMO though :)

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL

Here is an off the wall scenario.

i say Louisville. Why? Strong has some very good street cred now. I imagine he will be in the market at Arkansas, Tennessee, Auburn, and Kentucky. He is a native from Arkansas so that may be a great fit, not to mention his contract is up either this year or next. If Strong takes any one of those, Louisville is a good school for building upon Smarts résumé. The cupboard is stocked, the conference is weak, and the area of the southeast regarding recruiting is fertile and familiar.

i would love him to be the head coach in waiting but that moniker has proved to chafe far too much for other coaches set up as HCIW in the past. I actually figured he was waiting on GA, but Richt is safe there at least 3 more years now after back to back SEC champ appearances.

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.

Nowhere . As much as people seem to endlessly play-up Coach Smart , he's not qualified or experienced enough for ANY head coaching position in the SEC . JMO though :)
As much as I love CKS I shake my head when people suggest he will take over for CNS when he retires. I think CKS will have to leave Alabama and prove himself as a head coach at a major university before he will be considered to be the head coach at Alabama. We've tried the assistant coach route a couple of times and that did not work out so well for us. CKS may end up as our head coach at some point, but I think it's going to be down the road.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

As much as I love CKS I shake my head when people suggest he will take over for CNS when he retires. I think CKS will have to leave Alabama and prove himself as a head coach at a major university before he will be considered to be the head coach at Alabama. We've tried the assistant coach route a couple of times and that did not work out so well for us. CKS may end up as our head coach at some point, but I think it's going to be down the road.
Everyone has their own opinion..I respect yours..I just don't agree with your assessment..Obviously Dumbose didn't work out..That doesn't mean Coach Smart taking over once Coach Saban retires won't..Coach Saban will leave our program in better shape than Coach Stallings did & if Coach Smart stays as our DC until Coach Saban retires..He will be ready to take over the "Process"..

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

Did not know Jimbo Fisher was considering the au job, only one question, WHY?
Just something I caught part of last saturday morning on 94.5. I thought they were saying it was cut and dried but I got busy and didn't catch the rest of it and no one else seems to have heard it. Might not be too bad a job if they get rid of Dye, Jacobs and yeller feller.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL

I think he ends up at aTm next year after Mack Brown retires and Sumlin takes the Texas job. JF transfers to shorthorns. Done deal.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

The Gators and the Seminoles are doing pretty well with their inexperienced head coaches. Do you not think CKS is or will be as good as they are by the time CNS retires?

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

The Gators and the Seminoles are doing pretty well with their inexperienced head coaches. Do you not think CKS is or will be as good as they are by the time CNS retires?
Lot easier said than done, and I doubt Smart gets a job as good as FSU or Florida. I think he can get the Tennessee job if he wants it, but that will be a long-term rebuild in a tough conference. He's not inheriting the cupcake conference that Jimbo did, or the strong roster that Muschamp did.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.

I don't see Kirby going anywhere, especially to a tier two team like the ones that were mentioned. I think he knows wat he's got right now at Bama and stays with us.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

I don't see Kirby going anywhere, especially to a tier two team like the ones that were mentioned. I think he knows wat he's got right now at Bama and stays with us.
Maybe next season, but clearly only a matter of time before he goes somewhere. Only way we can feasibly keep him in Tuscaloosa is to appoint him head coach-in-waiting, and even then Saban would have to step aside pretty quickly or it would be just like Muschamp at Texas.

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.

Everyone has their own opinion..I respect yours..I just don't agree with your assessment..Obviously Dumbose didn't work out..That doesn't mean Coach Smart taking over once Coach Saban retires won't..Coach Saban will leave our program in better shape than Coach Stallings did & if Coach Smart stays as our DC until Coach Saban retires..He will be ready to take over the "Process"..
Not just any coach can be the head coach at Alabama in my opinion (Dubose, Price, Shula, Fran). CKS may well be one of those coaches one day, but I think he's going to have to leave Alabama to prove himself as a head coach before he becomes the head football coach at Alabama. I just don't see where we are going to hire a career assistant as our head coach.

I love CKS as a DC and recruiter. I think he's outstanding. I'm just not ready to name him head football coach at Alabama until he shows what he can do as a head football coach.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

Not just any coach can be the head coach at Alabama in my opinion (Dubose, Price, Shula, Fran). CKS may well be one of those coaches one day, but I think he's going to have to leave Alabama to prove himself as a head coach before he becomes the head football coach at Alabama. I just don't see where we are going to hire a career assistant as our head coach.

I love CKS as a DC and recruiter. I think he's outstanding. I'm just not ready to name him head football coach at Alabama until he shows what he can do as a head football coach.
I can understand that..I just think if he keeps the coaching staff that's in place & builds on the "Process" that's in place..He would do fine..I just think it's better than starting from scratch with another HC & worth a chance of taking with what Coach Saban has in place..That's just my opinion..

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

I can understand that..I just think ... He would do fine.
I get your point, but that is admittedly far easier said than done.

When you are a DC, no matter how good you are, you are only in charge of about 40 kids and three position coaches. That's it. When you take the head job, you're in control of 85+ kids, eight coaches, it's your job to make all major recruiting decisions, coaching staff turnover decisions, speaking events, dealing with boosters and alums, constantly addressing the media, are the face of the program, etc. I don't care how good of a DC or OC you are, that's a big transition and even a lot of fine coaches fail in trying it.

I would think, given the overall strength of our program right now, that we would just poach another quality, established coach from another good program.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

I get your point, but that is admittedly far easier said than done.

When you are a DC, no matter how good you are, you are only in charge of about 40 kids and three position coaches. That's it. When you take the head job, you're in control of 85+ kids, eight coaches, it's your job to make all major recruiting decisions, coaching staff turnover decisions, speaking events, dealing with boosters and alums, constantly addressing the media, are the face of the program, etc. I don't care how good of a DC or OC you are, that's a big transition and even a lot of fine coaches fail in trying it.

I would think, given the overall strength of our program right now, that we would just poach another quality, established coach from another good program.
You make a valid point & am not arguing against that..I'm good with us poaching an established HC if that happens..I just think it would be smooth transition with Coach Saban teaching him & think it would work is all I'm saying..I'd prefer trying to keep the "Process" that's in place..JMO

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.

Don't count me as one who is impressed with what Fisher and Muschamp have done as head coaches. Fisher is in his third year at F$U. He went 10-4 in 2010 and 9-4 in 2011 in a very, very weak ACC. He is 8-1 this year and is playing a high school schedule. I don't see anything impressive about this. Talent was not an issue when he took over at F$U. I'm not saying the team he took over had the best talent in the nation, but the cubbard certainly was not bare by a long shot. Muschamp has not made it through his second season at Florida and he went 7-6 last year.

I would not call either of these coaches a big success by any means. Both are at schools where they should win big. Neither have won any type of championship as a head coach and one of them coaches in the ACC. Sorry, I'm not impressed with either at this point. Muschamp has not beaten Georgia as a player or coach according to ESPN.

As for CKS I don't know. I think he's a great DC and recruiter. Coaching under CNS is a huge plus, but who knows what he will be like as a head coach? I would love to see him as the head coach at Alabama one day....... after he proves himself as a head football coach. I am not in favor of hiring an assistant coach as our head football coach. :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.