Where does Kirby Smart end up?

gunner07tx

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 29, 2011
arky,kentucky,tenn or auburn? i dont see auburn i do know kentucky sent out feelers or may even have may contact but i see him at arky just my feeling a good oc and his defense he could do very well at arkansas

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Re: where does smart end up?

arky,kentucky,tenn or auburn? i dont see auburn i do know kentucky sent out feelers or may even have may contact but i see him at arky just my feeling a good oc and his defense he could do very well at arkansas
Unless he's taking Calipari's place and knows Bball there is no future at UK! Fact of life! It is a graveyard for Football and receives no financial support.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

I don't see Auburn or Tenn. hiring him because they'll want to go after a big name guy like we did with CNS. Arky would be interesting, but I doubt his first HC job is somewhere in the SEC. Most schools would want a bit of a track record to go on. Those schools that would hire him right away (UK) are not an ideal destination for an up-and-coming coach because his record will be atrocious and he'll have to start over as a coordinator somewhere. I'm hoping he stays, but a spot like Maryland or Virginia wouldn't be bad for him starting out. Heck, VT may be looking for a new coach fairly soon; that would be a good spot to revive a rpgoram.

Stonewall1959

2nd Team
Oct 5, 2005
Macon, Georgia

I don't see him going to the Cow College at all. Arkansas or TN would be the best opportunities in the SEC. I really expect to see Tubberville going to Arkansas, though. Kentucky is a graveyard and I don't think he'd be interested in that at all. I can't imagine that he'd want a job in the SEC west where he'd have to play Alabama every year.

I look for him to go outside of the SEC. But, it's just my opinion.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

No way he goes to Ky. and hopefully not Tn., if Jimbo Fisher takes the albarn job then Smart would do good at FSU. I don't understand Fisher even considering Albarn as long as Jay Jacobs and Pat Dye are there oh yeah! and the yeller feller.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)

I've heard his name suggested as a replacement for the dumpster fire that is Ellis Johnson's tenure here in town @ USM. That is, should USM find the $$ to cut Johnson loose after 1 year. (Inherited a 12-2 team; QB graduated, but a good bunch returned; record so far in year one: 0-9! The locals are beyond livid.)

Wouldn't be a bad start to Kirby's HC career. But I'm quite OK w/ him hanging around my alma mater as DC for a few more years first...:D

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

None of the above.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Why would anyone want the Arky job? What recruiting sells pitch do you have? "Hey, come here and win! We are in the same division as Alabama, LSU, and Texas A&M!" Plus, there's not much in-state talent.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

I'm beginning to get the feeling Coach Saban is grooming him to become our next HC after he retires..And I'm honestly good with that..Cause I think Coach Saban will stick around 5-7 more years..By then Coach Smart will know & understand the "Process" as good as his master..Why mess up a good thing when Coach Smart will be ready to take control when Coach Saban retires..Most folks won't like that idea & I didn't either a couple years ago..But..It's obvious Coach Smart has HC'ing material written all over him..I think it's worth giving it a try..Lets keep the "Process" going after Coach Saban retires..I have a feeling Coach Smart will do just that if giving the shot..JMO

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

Hopefully he goes somewhere outside the SEC like maybe Virginia Tech, Florida St, (Georgia Southern wouldn't be a bad hc job believe it or not ;-) ... and then Coach Saban retires and he comes back to :BigA: ... would make a nice story anyways.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

Hopefully he goes somewhere outside the SEC like maybe Virginia Tech, Florida St, (Georgia Southern wouldn't be a bad hc job believe it or not ;-) ... and then Coach Saban retires and he comes back to :BigA: ... would make a nice story anyways.
I'm good with that as well..But..I just assume he stays at Bama & learn all he can from the best HC in the business..

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch

After McElwain's struggles, staying Saban's DC might not sound that bad. I know money talks, but maybe there is some appeal in a transition plan as Saban's heir-apparent.

gwilliams

1st Team
Aug 29, 2011

I'm beginning to get the feeling Coach Saban is grooming him to become our next HC after he retires..And I'm honestly good with that..Cause I think Coach Saban will stick around 5-7 more years..By then Coach Smart will know & understand the "Process" as good as his master..Why mess up a good thing when Coach Smart will be ready to take control when Coach Saban retires..Most folks won't like that idea & I didn't either a couple years ago..But..It's obvious Coach Smart has HC'ing material written all over him..I think it's worth giving it a try..Lets keep the "Process" going after Coach Saban retires..I have a feeling Coach Smart will do just that if giving the shot..JMO
Hope it plays out as you described. UT may be after him since they got their AD from BAMA and got Sunseri also. It would be the best spot opening up next season.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

No way he goes to Ky. and hopefully not Tn., if Jimbo Fisher takes the albarn job then Smart would do good at FSU. I don't understand Fisher even considering Albarn as long as Jay Jacobs and Pat Dye are there oh yeah! and the yeller feller.
Did not know Jimbo Fisher was considering the au job, only one question, WHY?

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al

very strong possibility he stays at UA. Au and Ark are not a good fit for him. UT maybe, big job not in the west of the SEC but he would be unpopular there when he keeps Sal on board as his DC lol. No other job outside of Texas would really be big enough to draw him away from what hes got going for him, which is head coach in waiting at Both UA and UGA simultaneously.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al

Did not know Jimbo Fisher was considering the au job, only one question, WHY?
because au fans say so, Don't buy what they are shoveling. its a downward move at this point for him. I think Strong is there top and best candidate and Petrino is off the table for all SEC jobs from what I'm hearing.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

Unless he's taking Calipari's place and knows Bball there is no future at UK! Fact of life! It is a graveyard for Football and receives no financial support.
I agree. A dead end job with little chance at championships and it would be downhill from there as maybe a DC or regular assistant coach again. Kentucky is a Basketball school.

If he leaves, he needs to go where he's got a fighting chance to be successful.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.