News Article: SI Article on USCw Woes

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
Lane Kiffin voting (and trying to lie about it) USCw #1 in the pre-season poll.

Matt Barkley's heisman chances falling faster than the jaws of LSwho fans after the AJ to TJ play.

Monte Kiffin's defensive guru status in the dirt after giving up over 1300 yards in the last 2 games.

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of primadonnas...

The Fall of Troy

RdunawayTX

3rd Team
Sep 24, 2011
I was going to post a link to this exact article. I'm glad I looked down the page first. As for the article itself, it makes me all warm inside. Kiffen is a jerk and USC is always overrated. To see them sharing this kind of season is awesome.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It is kind of bad to see Lane take down his dad's good name as a defensive coordinator with him.
Agreed, but Monte has supported his son through all of his horrible behavior, so his character has to be questioned, too.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
People bought into all the glitz and glamour on offense and forgot how important defense and depth are. With their recruiting, even Lane Kiffin will field good teams moving forward. It just won't be this year.

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
People bought into all the glitz and glamour on offense and forgot how important defense and depth are. With their recruiting, even Lane Kiffin will field good teams moving forward. It just won't be this year.
They're going to be worse in 2 years when the scholarship restrictions really set in.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
When we were playing Tennessee when he was there I saw a sideline shot of Monte talking to the ref about something. It just suggested to me he was really running the show.

Think Matt Barkley regets coming back for this year? Where would he have gone in the draft?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
When we were playing Tennessee when he was there I saw a sideline shot of Monte talking to the ref about something. It just suggested to me he was really running the show.
Some coordinators do that. We just don't see CKS or CDN doing it. Depends on if the head coach is fine with the assistants talking to the refs or not.
Think Matt Barkley regets coming back for this year? Where would he have gone in the draft?
He'll still be the first QB taken.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Barkley is a great player and that is the most dynamic passing game in the country. Both he and his top two wide receivers are high first round draft picks.

Outside of that, it's going to be really ugly next season. Scholarship sanctions will sink further in, and without Barkley the passing game won't keep them afloat at a reasonable pace. I think you'll find that all of a sudden, 8-4/9-3 quickly backslides into 5-7/6-6. Going to be a lot of upset Trojan fans the next couple of years before they can start beginning to expect a meaningful rebound.

All of that sportswriter infatuation with them at the start of the year was really just (1) evidence that none of those guys do anything but watch the ball while it's in the air, and (2) the Pac-12 isn't the outright cupcake most expected.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
the caption under Kiffen's pic states that he is an excellent recruiter. ah no, anybody can recruit at USC.

in fact the more they clamour about USC great recruiting classes, the more embarassing it becomes when they lose games on a regular basis against average teams in the PAC 12 year in and year out.

they are once again #1 on Rivals. for now...:rolleye2:

Last edited:

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Doubt he regrets that a bit. He would have probably been the third QB taken a year ago, so likely somewhere towards the bottom of the top ten.

This year, you can bet the farm he will be the #1 overall QB taken, and a good chance with him being the #1 overall pick. With the Chiefs likely having the top pick and sporting a glaring hole under center, I bet Barkley to KC at #1 overall is your best bet.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.