Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon on TideFans.com

LSU onside kick ?

Maybe I missed something but it sure looked like to me the LSU kicker kicked the ball and it immediately bumped off the ground and hit his foot again. Did anyone else see that and is that not touching the ball before 10 yards? If so, he actually touched it twice before it reached 10 yards. I know it is a moot point but I am curious to know if (a) anyone else saw that and (b) if that was not illegal touching as well.

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: LSU onside kick ?

I'll look again, but I didn't see the foot strike - only the bounce-back into his chest, which is the one the zebras called. It was about a yard or so short of the ten yards...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Yeah I saw the same thing and I originally thought maybe that's why the penalty was called -- I had just come back in the room after a bathroom break :-)
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

In a pre-game thread I said we would see a fake punt, a fake field goal, and an onside kick. Two out of three ain't bad.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amused on TideFans.com

When I saw it live and the countless times it was shown in replay...I dont think that was necessarily a bad bounce or him running in to it as much as it looked like he was intentionally swatting the ball with his right hand. JMO

BamaNation Second Team acbl_phill's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KnockturnalTide View Post
    When I saw it live and the countless times it was shown in replay...I dont think that was necessarily a bad bounce or him running in to it as much as it looked like he was intentionally swatting the ball with his right hand. JMO
    Agreed.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was an illegal kick by the new on-side kick rule which states that the kicker can not kick the ball from the tee directly into the ground.
    However the rule is actually designed to eliminate the big high hop teams were using.
    The rule is actually that the ball simply must bounce twice before it goes ten yards.
    Confused now? lol

BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

We got lucky & I'm not ashamed of that. We have got to do a better job with OS kicks. Blocking a FG & stops on 4th down are just pure talent.

BamaNation First Team saraelizabethua's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Tom View Post
    We got lucky & I'm not ashamed of that. We have got to do a better job with OS kicks. Blocking a FG & stops on 4th down are just pure talent.
    Especially since we still have Chizik to contend with this year... not that they'll be doing many kickoffs.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMom2Boys's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amused on TideFans.com

If the player didn't bat it down, it would have gone the full length. He had a quick reflex instead of letting it go.

But you know how we all complained about Foster kicking it short...and being on design or not. Well, he did a perfect job at the end with kicking it short and we had great coverage, it knocked 15 seconds off the clock.
    Roll Tide

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Tom View Post
    That style onside kick is very difficult to defend. As a guy on the return team, you want to get back in position to block as quickly as possible. Thus, the players tend to immediately run towards the return man. If the kicker does the perfect dribble kick, the ball goes 10 yards, and he falls on it. How can a team cover that without having poor blocking on an actual return?
    Quote Originally Posted by TideMom2Boys View Post
    If the player didn't bat it down, it would have gone the full length. He had a quick reflex instead of letting it go.

But you know how we all complained about Foster kicking it short...and being on design or not. Well, he did a perfect job at the end with kicking it short and we had great coverage, it knocked 15 seconds off the clock.
    Cade did a fine job of what the coaches told him to do.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Asleep on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by saraelizabethua View Post
    Especially since we still have Chizik to contend with this year... not that they'll be doing many kickoffs.
    ^^^^^^That's a good one^^^^^^^^^

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skipster63 View Post
    Maybe I missed something but it sure looked like to me the LSU kicker kicked the ball and it immediately bumped off the ground and hit his foot again. Did anyone else see that and is that not touching the ball before 10 yards? If so, he actually touched it twice before it reached 10 yards. I know it is a moot point but I am curious to know if (a) anyone else saw that and (b) if that was not illegal touching as well.
    I didn't see the foot hit the ball and I'd have to see the play while looking for that to see if it did happen. However, everywhere I've read about the onside kick they mention the ball hitting Hairston on various parts of his body. What I saw was Hairston slapping the ball with his hand as if to stop the ball's movement.