Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Sugar bowl to be host of SEC-Big XII champions game

Personally, the questioning of the decision comes from the earlier announcements. The press releases left the impression the game would be SEC at-large v. Big XII at-large. However, New Orleans/Sugar Bowl folks never showed willingness to lose the potential to be apart of the playoff. Of the current BCS bowls, the Sugar Bowl was not the one folks expected to not be included in the playoff.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

2. Advertisement
    Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

This is good news, who wanted to lose the Sugar Bowl name to the Champs Bowl? Who wanted to lose the tradition of going to New Orleans, especially after they have spent a 300 Million first repairing and then an awesome renovation. (It looks like the mother ship).

I am all for moving forward, but each chip at long time tradition just makes that much easier for big money to wipe the slate clean and have some sort of lower league playoff system. We need to keep these traditional bowls and have a playoff system.

I am happy that the Cotton Bowl will soon move back into it's rightful slot as a BCS Bowl, even thought it took Jerry's world to get there.

Keep the Sugar, Cotton, Orange, Rose and maybe Fiesta Bowls strong.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

All this amounts to is for the SEC and Big 12 to have an answer to the Big Ten/Pac 12/Rose Bowl relationship. Nothing more, nothing less.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    All this amounts to is for the SEC and Big 12 to have an answer to the Big Ten/Pac 12/Rose Bowl relationship. Nothing more, nothing less.
    But that is pretty bold considering how long all the other bowls have allowed the Rose to be special like that. The Sugar Bowl has had some real duds the past 10 years because of the picking system. The games a notch below and did have the conference tie in's had better games. Georgia vs Hawaii in the Sugar against Florida vs Michigan in the formerly name Citrus Bowl. Or Arkansas vs Texas in the Cotton Bowl. Even the formerly called Peach Bowl was usually better with the SEC ACC.

Great move and a long time coming!

BamaNation First Team Rolltide_PA's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

i have ZERO interest in ever going to New Orleans again...

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rolltide_PA View Post
    i have ZERO interest in ever going to New Orleans again...
    They're plenty of people to take your place.

My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

It's a little confusing. What started out sounding like a new game in a new location is now an old game in and old location. I guess I can't complain though...

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    It's a little confusing. What started out sounding like a new game in a new location is now an old game in and old location. I guess I can't complain though...
    It sounds good to me, keep the Sugar Bowl but have a tie in with another top conference. The small market teams can't complain anymore because the playoff is open to all? That's all I can figure in how we could do this. This is one less BCS Bowl for Boise State.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonChuck's Avatar
    My Mood
    Sassy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RollTideMang View Post
    Awesome. Glad the SEC has a clear-cut opponent in the game now rather than an at-large. Maybe we can get paired up with Texas again sometime soon.
    We will be playing in the 4 game playoff every year, so we won't be playing in this game ever.

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    As CapstoneTider said, the big positive change from before is that now is that the SEC won't have to face crappy Big East Champion teams or mid-major undefeated teams (like Hawaii). There will be a quality opponent every year.
    Lucky #13

BamaNation Hall of Fame RJ YellowHammer's Avatar
    My Mood
    Yeehaw on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    It sounds good to me, keep the Sugar Bowl but have a tie in with another top conference. The small market teams can't complain anymore because the playoff is open to all? That's all I can figure in how we could do this. This is one less BCS Bowl for Boise State.
    The BCS will be out of the Bowl selecting business after next season. This moves guarantees that we play a big name school, ups the dollar amount we make from our bowl tie ins, gives us ammunition against the PAC-12 & BIG the next time there's a post season shakeup disscussed, and puts that bowl game in SEC Country. Plus, we get to keep the Sugar Bowl brand? Win!
    "This is not the end. This is the beginning." - Nick Saban, at the 2009 NC celebration at B-D.

BamaNation First Team

Once again, this is NOT a old bowl game in an old city. This is a NEW bowl game that is actually owned by the conferences themselves. The sent out RFPs to 10 cities to win the right to host the new game. Part of that, IIRC, was to allow the Big 12/SEC to use the name of the existing bowl should that city be won. This arrangement allows the conferences to control the money rather than allowing what happened with the Fiesta Bowl to happen again.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonChuck View Post
    We will be playing in the 4 game playoff every year, so we won't be playing in this game ever.

As CapstoneTider said, the big positive change from before is that now is that the SEC won't have to face crappy Big East Champion teams or mid-major undefeated teams (like Hawaii). There will be a quality opponent every year.

Like when we played Utah?