Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Former Texas Coach Darrell Royal Passes Away

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    Might be the main person that said ''Three things can happen when you pass and two of 'em are bad.''
    Perhaps.
    Some say it was Woody Hayes.
    Other say General Robert Neyland.
    I'd prefer to think it's Neyland or Royal

RIP Coach, and thank you for the 70s!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonChuck's Avatar
    My Mood
    Sassy on TideFans.com

Re: Darrel Royal just passed

Lucky #13

The current Texas football team has been described as soft and entitled. The Longhorns always had the feeling of entitlement but were never soft when Royal was coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Im_on_dsp View Post
    You must be a young-en. Emory Bellard went on to be the head coach at Texas A&M for a few years and he also served as the head coach at Mississippi State too a few years back in the 70's. He wasn't very successful at either place.
    Depends how you define success at Texas A&M. Bellard won lots of games but never taught his teams how to pass so they never could get by the one or two teams each year that could stop the wishbone. A&M didn't consider that successful enough and moved on to another coach who proved less successful. Kind of like R. C. Slocum who kept them respectable for many years, which wasn't good enough so they brought in Franchione.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TexasBama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bama579 View Post
    [/B]

^^ This is what I heard/read. Believe it is the case.
    Coach Bryant lived at Royal's house part of the summer '71 to learn the wishbone. He also recommended Royal for the UT job.

RIP Coach

BamaNation First Team Highway59's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Excerpt from a article a couple of years ago.

A look back at Alabama-Texas history

By CHUCK CARLTON / The Dallas Morning News ccarlton@dallasnews.com

Published: 03 January 2010 01:03 AM

Bryant, Royal and the Wishbone

Sometimes, even legends need a little help - something Bear Bryant discovered as the 1970s arrived.

Alabama had gone a combined 12-10-1 in 1969-70, and fans were a little restless. Bryant finally convinced the school's movers and shakers that he needed to recruit black players.

He also decided that Alabama needed an offensive makeover and turned to his old friend, Darrell Royal.
    Bryant visited Texas before the 1971 season and learned the Wishbone option offense from Royal and his offensive coordinator, Emory Bellard. Royal was more than accommodating to Bryant.

"Bear and I were great friends, and I appreciated the competitor that he was and the friend that he was," Royal, 85, said in a statement supplied by Texas. "We were able to share a lot of thoughts about the game as well as about life."

Bryant, who won two national titles with the Wishbone in the 1970s, went 11-1 in 1971. That first year, he still relied on his friend, as Royal's wife, Edith, recalled.

"I remember that Bear would call every Sunday after he and his staff had come to Austin to talk with Emory and Darrell about the Wishbone," Edith said. "He was so excited about the way things were going.

"We were remodeling our house, and Bear wanted to build us a room attached to the house because of how much he appreciated what Darrell had done for him."

Darrell Royal Quotes

You've got to think lucky. If you fall into a mudhole, check your back pocket - you might have caught a fish.

Breaks balance out. The sun don't shine on the same ol' dog's rear end every day.

He's not very fast, but maybe Elizabeth Taylor can't sing.

I don't count on the boy who waits till October, when it's cool and fun, then decides he wants to play.

I learned this about coaching: You don't have to explain victory and you can't explain defeat.

Football doesn’t build character. It eliminates the weak ones..

Condolences go out to the family.....

Last edited by Highway59; November 7th, 2012 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theballguy View Post
    I think Woody Hayes said this (I could be wrong though) but it's Wisdom. The flag footballers would be wise to heed it. But they don't and they get crushed by the SEC. Old man football bah...

“Well, son, since you haven’t learned to respect your elders, it’s time you learned to respect your betters.” – Big Jake (
    played by the late great John Wayne of course!)
    Think it was Hayes as well - nice tag line BTW

BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar

To honor Royal, Texas' first play on Saturday will be from the wishbone formation:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...n-the-wishbone
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamachile's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

RIP, Coach Royal.
    “Louisiana is a fresh-air mental asylum.”
    ― James Lee Burke, Pegasus Descending

BamaNation First Team PCBamafan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Condolences to the Royal family. And thanks, Coach for all you did to help Alabama football at a crucial time. It's during that time that I was old enough to start following football and realized what a beautiful thing the Wisbone Offense was. It was especially nice as it led to 2 NCs!

God bless your family in this time of loss.
    ROLL TIDE!!

one of the great legends of college football has passed, who is left? i can't think of one. anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by socalbamafan123 View Post
    one of the great legends of college football has passed, who is left? i can't think of one. anybody?
    sorry bobby bowden.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JPT4Bama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    He is one of those that I thought might have already been dead, so it's not such a shock. But then I read his obituary and realize that royalty has died (no pun). He was the head man at Texas when Coach Byant was still at aTm! Never had a losing in season. Might be the main person that said ''Three things can happen when you pass and two of 'em are bad.'' His team won 30 straight after putting in the Wishbone in 1968. Wow!

Is he the one that coached our staff on the 'bone before the 72 season?

Before the '71 season. The year we opened up at SouCal on a Friday night. In pre game practice we showed our old offense. Not until the game began did we show the wishbone. 17-10 final and a 100 win decade had begun for the Tide.
    Ask me about my vow of silence.