Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Scout Team
    Post Thanks / Like

What happened between Fran and Saban?

Jim Mora's recent over-the-top response to tweets from a false Twitter account got me to thinking about this. I'm sure it's been covered thoroughly in the past, but I have never heard the answer. Back in 2002 when we beat LSU's brains in at Baton Rouge, Fran supposedly had some choice words for Coach Saban during their post game handshake. Supposedly it was over comments that Saban allegedly made about the Alabama program. I seem to remember Coach Saban acting as if he had no idea what Fran was talking about. Was this the result of Fran being duped or was there something to it?

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Allegedly Saban called us cheaters. After we blanked them in their field (surprisingly), Fran pointed/wagged his finger at Coach Saban and said some things that won't be repeated here. In short, he said, "We won fairly"
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Re: What happened between Fran and Saban?

I have heard it was manufactured by fRAN's people to take attention off of the fact that he was about to bolt for Texas A&M, thus Saban not having any idea what he was talking about.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    I have heard it was manufactured by fRAN's people to take attention off of the fact that he was about to bolt for Texas A&M, thus Saban not having any idea what he was talking about.
    fRAN being upset over that is about as likely as his father in law being buried in an Alabama garb. Frannie was about Frannie.

Coach Fran's new home, Bobcat Stadium. This looks like a glorified High School Stadium. You can watch the game from the back of a truck!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I understand between Fran and Saban involved a Florida hotel room, an university credit card, and a successful NFL QB coach that returned to his alma mater to do nothing special.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation Second Team AlabasterBama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cynical on TideFans.com

I understand between Fran and Saban involved a Florida hotel room, an university credit card, and a successful NFL QB coach that returned to his alma mater to do nothing special.
    Now that is funny

BamaNation Second Team snake plissken's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I always thought Fran would have been very successful at Bama if he had stayed. I thought he was a good fit and really had the kids playing at a high level his second season. His game against Oklahoma was probably one of the best called games I have ever seen. During the season, he was using Tyler Watts to the best of his ability with a mix of run and play calls along with the option. He also absolutely did a number on Saban in the LSU game with the "smoke draw." Also, the outstanding game plan against AU his first season with Zow coming out on fire.

I think he showed alot of promise in just two short years. The 2nd AU game loss was the product of him already set to leave. Had he stayed, I am sure we would have won that one too. I still think he is a great coach, he just wasn't the right person for A&M. I still don't understand how it fell apart for him. While I hate how he left the program and the kids, I still respect him as a coach for what he did while at Bama.

BamaNation All-American MattinBama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snake plissken View Post
    I always thought Fran would have been very successful at Bama if he had stayed. I thought he was a good fit and really had the kids playing at a high level his second season. His game against Oklahoma was probably one of the best called games I have ever seen. During the season, he was using Tyler Watts to the best of his ability with a mix of run and play calls along with the option. He also absolutely did a number on Saban in the LSU game with the "smoke draw." Also, the outstanding game plan against AU his first season with Zow coming out on fire.

I think he showed alot of promise in just two short years. The 2nd AU game loss was the product of him already set to leave. Had he stayed, I am sure we would have won that one too. I still think he is a great coach, he just wasn't the right person for A&M. I still don't understand how it fell apart for him. While I hate how he left the program and the kids, I still respect him as a coach for what he did while at Bama.

Just funning.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

I agree. Coach Fran lost his creditability when he left. He could have gotten away with it 5 years sooner but ended up showing other coaches the power of the internet and how public and intense an online onslaught can be if you leave a high profile team high and dry. Has anyone noticed that it stopped, the last one was the Petrino to Arkansas move, but that was nothing like what Fran endured with the fans. Coaches know better now.

Imagine our players not really buying into coach Saban's process, that's what I saw at aTm. Their players saw the enormous amount of humiliating stuff created about their coach. Countless Farks and calling him out as a sissy. It probably effected him psychological as well, feeling exposed. He was peculiar and a a little uncomfortable with attention as it was. The two forces did him in, I strongly feel that. There was no doubt that he was a good coach. We would have beaten Auburn again if not for the distractions around living a lie at that point.

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

btw, as far as Fran goes, your welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie Scott View Post
    btw, as far as Fran goes, your welcome.
    He was the perfect trade for Coach Bryant, wasn't he?
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

i have to say i did enjoy watching watts run our offense that year (2002).
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    fRAN being upset over that is about as likely as his father in law being buried in an Alabama garb. Frannie was about Frannie.

Coach Fran's new home, Bobcat Stadium. This looks like a glorified High School Stadium. You can watch the game from the back of a truck!

I am in a hotel about two miles from Bobcat Stadium right now. Drove down and checked it out about 2 hours ago. I assure you that I hate Fran as much as anyone, but the stadium is super nice. Your picture is from before it was refurbished. It is a great facility now.
    http://www.txstatebobcats.com/sports...tbobcatstadium
    Last edited by squib; November 7th, 2012 at 04:44 PM.