Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What happened between Fran and Saban?

As much as it pains me to say it, I agree that Franphony would have been relatively successful here. Not like we have had, but plenty of wins. And he'd have gotten more slack than he thought from the fans during the probation years.

I'm just an old foggie alum, but I'll never forgive that clown for how he betrayed our players. I admire Coach Moore for how he handled the situation.
    Roll Tide

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Third Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    i have to say i did enjoy watching watts run our offense that year (2002).
    Franchione was a gutless liar who was afraid to face the NCAA sanctions.That's how it "fell apart" for him.

BamaNation All-SEC tidefanbeezer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    I understand between Fran and Saban involved a Florida hotel room, an university credit card, and a successful NFL QB coach that returned to his alma mater to do nothing special.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought he was a bad hire to start with, he used Alabama as a stepping stone for more money. He was not a sound football coach, but even at Alabama he would have been a 9-10 win coach. I can assure you had he stayed he would have divided our program and we would still have 12 NCs.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Post Thanks / Like

Fran was not a good recruiter. If he had stayed, everyone would have seen the drop off.

BamaNation First Team Alajambama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Dennis Franicione did not deserve to walk the hallowed ground of Bryant Denny
    The best thing to ever come out of Tennessee...I-65 heading south.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I thought he was a bad hire to start with, he used Alabama as a stepping stone for more money. He was not a sound football coach, but even at Alabama he would have been a 9-10 win coach. I can assure you had he stayed he would have divided our program and we would still have 12 NCs.
    yeah, both shula and dubose were 10 win coaches here. turns out, he screwed himself good with the way he left and he is paying the price for it now.
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snake plissken View Post
    I always thought Fran would have been very successful at Bama if he had stayed. I thought he was a good fit and really had the kids playing at a high level his second season. His game against Oklahoma was probably one of the best called games I have ever seen. During the season, he was using Tyler Watts to the best of his ability with a mix of run and play calls along with the option. He also absolutely did a number on Saban in the LSU game with the "smoke draw." Also, the outstanding game plan against AU his first season with Zow coming out on fire.

I think he showed alot of promise in just two short years. The 2nd AU game loss was the product of him already set to leave. Had he stayed, I am sure we would have won that one too. I still think he is a great coach, he just wasn't the right person for A&M. I still don't understand how it fell apart for him. While I hate how he left the program and the kids, I still respect him as a coach for what he did while at Bama.
    He's a complete hypocrite and liar and his "Hold on to the rope" B.S. was the biggest slap in the face of Bama football players in the history of the program in my opinion. Leaving without addressing his players???? Are you kidding me???
    He's a great coach???
    He stinks as a coach and a human being. I have more respect for Bobby Lowder than I do for Dennis Franchione.
    And dude, you still don't understand how it fell apart for him???
    A man with NO character is eventually going to watch his life fall apart.
    He was given the greatest coaching opportunity he will ever have. He not only turned his back on it, he left with no regard for the kids who busted their guts for him. He's simply paying the price he should pay.
    I have no sympathy for Dennis Franchione.
    sip

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Boob man wouldn't have done any better here than he did at A&M.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    He's a complete hypocrite and liar and his "Hold on to the rope" B.S. was the biggest slap in the face of Bama football players in the history of the program in my opinion. Leaving without addressing his players???? Are you kidding me???
    He's a great coach???
    He stinks as a coach and a human being. I have more respect for Bobby Lowder than I do for Dennis Franchione.
    He was given the greatest coaching opportunity he will ever have. He not only turned his back on it, he left with no regard for the kids who busted their guts for him. He's simply paying the price he should pay.
    sip
    Post of the day!

BamaNation All-American cuda.1973's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Sick on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    Coach Fran's new home, Bobcat Stadium. This looks like a glorified High School Stadium. You can watch the game from the back of a truck!
    Ours is bigger 'n better, and you can't watch the game from the back of a truck. So, there!

Wonder if theirs cost $60M? (Yeah, had to rub it in, one more time. Starting to sound like a Texun. I guess.)
    "Mama called."

So, we took her home.

3/8/26-8/20/13

BamaNation All-American cuda.1973's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Sick on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    I understand between Fran and Saban involved a Florida hotel room, an university credit card, and a successful NFL QB coach that returned to his alma mater to do nothing special.
    "I wish I had said that."
    "You will, Oscar, you will."
    "Mama called."

So, we took her home.

3/8/26-8/20/13

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    He's a great coach???
    sip
    Yeah...I think this, too. Well...maybe not the Lowder part, but...pretty much yeah.
    Last edited by Bamaboda1; November 7th, 2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: add information