Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Texas A&M preview: War with Aggies could be a repeat of LSU week

TAMU's biggest plus is that they start very fast each week which is the biggest threat to a team coming off such an emotional and physically draining game as last week. Alabama has kinda been sluggish to start in those MSU games following LSU the last few years but MSU's offensive ineptitude kept them from really ever putting us in a tense situation. TAMU is the kind of team that can put us in a hole quick if the intensity isn't quite there in the first quarter.

The indicators on this game is how the defense starts this game off and how the OL can respond early to a team that will be in reckless abandon to the backfield on runs and passes. On paper it appears that Alabama should be able to do some things against their defense but it hinges on protection. The long term keys to the game will be keeping Manziel in the middle of the field and wearing down their defensive front. 3rd down defense has to improve so the offense can work on the clock and the scoreboard.

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    TAMU's biggest plus is that they start very fast each week which is the biggest threat to a team coming off such an emotional and physically draining game as last week. Alabama has kinda been sluggish to start in those MSU games following LSU the last few years but MSU's offensive ineptitude kept them from really ever putting us in a tense situation. TAMU is the kind of team that can put us in a hole quick if the intensity isn't quite there in the first quarter.

The indicators on this game is how the defense starts this game off and how the OL can respond early to a team that will be in reckless abandon to the backfield on runs and passes. On paper it appears that Alabama should be able to do some things against their defense but it hinges on protection. The long term keys to the game will be keeping Manziel in the middle of the field and wearing down their defensive front. 3rd down defense has to improve so the offense can work on the clock and the scoreboard.
    If A & M wins the coin toss at the beginning of the game, I know they will go on the offensive.

If the Crimson Tide wins the coin toss, what will we do? I'd say go on offense and DRIVE the ball hopefully down their throat from the get-go. Keep Johnny Football OFF the field of battle as much as possible. We need to have 2/3 possession of the ball and it could still be close.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I've said on a TAMU site thread and it bears repeating here, A&M doesn't have to play above themselves to win but simply play their A-game. I think it may take a lackluster game from Alabama...our B-minus or worse type game. This is a very coherent offense where the QB is getting more comfortable in the scheme each week. The fact Manziel struggled against Florida in game 1 and LSU midseason are possibly growth moments for him, not signs that Alabama will overwhelm the kid. Lets not forget, he may have struggled against each but he had some impressive moments too.

It's funny how it works out but TAMU is probably the toughest matchup on our schedule in terms of conflict in style and capability on offense. If they get rolling, we've got to watch out for Moore. They may not quite be a traditional 3-4 type defense but that defender will move all over the field. They exploit him greatly and will get him on guards flip him from weak to strong side. They're really kinda 4-3 personnel with a guy who they allow to roam like a 3-4 designated rusher.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com
    I think our secondary will be key. I'm sure they've been hearing it all week. I think they'll rise to the challenge. One matchup I'm ready to see is that front seven against their OLine. I think we'll win that matchup, but we'll take our lumps for about half a quarter and then that light will turn back on. Roll Tide!
    ROLL TIDE!

I expect our gameplan to be ball-control, ball-control, ball-control.
    And I think our secondary picks off JM for a TD.
    I'm going to say Bama 30-17.

i think our d is going to play a lot better that a lot of folks seem to expect and the d will take care of business.
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

My Mood
    Buzzed on TideFans.com

WOW.....amazingly detailed analysis, Jess....really superb, sir!

I will not make a score prediction except to say I agree with the camp who believes it will be a close one.

The "X" factor for the game will indeed be Manziel. He is an amazing football player!

If Bama's "D" can shut down aTm's "O'...it's game over.

RTR!

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I expect we try to keep the ball away and establish a lead. Easier said than done,
    but we are bigger and deeper than TAMU. We need to establish our running game.
    I'm not sure they can consistently stop our run. They are gonna try, that's where AJ comes in.
    AJ wasn't up to his usual standard last week. Not quite in sinc with our receivers.

I put last weeks performance against LSU down to multiple factors.
    Tired, injured, a little flat, plus... LSU had two weeks to rest and prepare for us.
    LSU knows our team better than TAMU does. LSU is a pretty good match with us in the physical dept.

I expect we will line up to stop the TAMU running attack. If we limit the run, TAMU will try to counter
    with passes to open their running game.
    Against LSU we didn't intercept passes, we missed multiple tackles by the first man in...
    I expect we will do better this week.

TAMU is a one man offense, much as Auburn had with Scam Newton...
    Manzell might be faster than SCAM, but he's not as big and strong.
    He's elusive, but will go down easier than trying to take down another man mountain.

If we come close to playing our game, we win by 10 or more. If not...
    Last edited by Ole Man Dan; November 8th, 2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: format

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    Angelic on TideFans.com

Live your life like you wish you had.

Pretty neat. I can actually see it happening like that too with a close half..then we pull away. I see Mosley gets an interception.
    Roll Tide

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Big A Re: Texas A&M preview: War with Aggies could be a repeat of LSU week

Great job as usual Jess. Last week I had a feeling that we would struggle against LSU. They have been fuming since January. They had a week off to focus. We were in their house and they were an 8 point underdog. They had something to prove.

This week I get a totally different feel. We had a tough game last week and almost lost to a very determined and talented LSU team. All of the sudden Alabama is perceived not to be in a league of their own. National talk is about an upset in T-town. And finally, this A&M team is just as beat up as we are.

I get the feeling we are going to come out firing on all cylinders and wallop this team. I hope I'm right two weeks in a row...Roll Tide!!!
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Great analysis and on paper, I couldn't agree more. Johnny is a wildcard and he may just be enough of a wildcard to make the difference for my Ags. It's going to be fun to watch this game. I loved the coin flip comment, I couldn't agree more. If Bama wins the flip, you should go on offense. BUT, you need to score on the first drive. If you don't score and we get the ball and score, it could be a rough day for the tide! If we get early momentum and score early, it will be hard to stop the Aggies. Good luck on Saturday(not really) and Gig Em!

Quote Originally Posted by TideMom2Boys View Post
    Pretty neat. I can actually see it happening like that too with a close half..then we pull away. I see Mosley gets an interception.
    I see the Mosley factor playing out big in this game. If he gets a few good hits on JM in the first half, then he may be thinking twice the rest of the game. CJ will be shadowing him I am sure.