JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Texas A&M preview: War with Aggies could be a repeat of LSU week
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
November 8th, 2012 12:41 AM

As the din of celebration faded early Sunday morning following Alabama’s rather incredible 21-17 win over LSU, those with a penchant to worry over their football were already casting an uneasy eye toward Nov. 10, and Alabama’s game against the Texas A&M Aggies. [...]

Read More Here

Last edited by a moderator:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Thanks Jess. I too think this game may go down to the wire. I hope our defense comes with their best effort of the year and the offense can play keep away. I think 4-6 points is about right.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Don't necessarily disagree with your assessment and prediction; but it sure seems that a whole lot of people are labeling the Tide D now based off of one performance (LSU). Obviously, we'll have to wait and see what happens Saturday.

To me, it's going to come down to whether or not our D can get off the field on 3rd down and win the turnover battle.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Don't necessarily disagree with your assessment and prediction; but it sure seems that a whole lot of people are labeling the Tide D now based off of one performance (LSU). Obviously, we'll have to wait and see what happens Saturday.

To me, it's going to come down to whether or not our D can get off the field on 3rd down and win the turnover battle.
I agree, seems like most live in the "what have you done for me lately" mode. I don't think it will be a blowout, but I also don't think it will be that close. If so, then we will have problems against Georgia and possibly Oregon.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Turnovers, third downs, and time of possession. I say that while knowing Alabama lost all three battles badly last week but still won the game. This week we need 2 of 3 or all 3 stats in the Tide's favor.

Haven't had a chance to see Manziel other than highlights. I'm very interested to see him play.

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
Thanks for the write up, Jess.
A big factor in determining how this game swings could be which team gets on the board first. A 10 point lead for either team early in the game could put a large amount of pressure on either defense.

Mudbone

Suspended
Oct 30, 2012
Always a great write up, but I cannot agree with the qb assessment. Personally I would choose AJ over JM. AJ has won a national title, is a Heisman contender, a leader, and has only one loss as a starter. Johnny has not proven himself against tough defenses. I have no doubt the guy is talented and will tough to handle for years, but I think you're selling AJ short here.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Always a great write up, but I cannot agree withe qb assessment. Personally I would choose AJ over JM. AJ has won a national title, is a Heisman contender, a leader, and has only one loss as a starter. Johnny has not proven himself against tough defenses. I have no doubt the guy is talented and will tough to handle for years, but I think you're selling AJ short here.
I can't speak for Jess, but I think it's the injuries more than anything. I think the injuries are a major reason that AJ was off on accuracy last week.

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
I too was surprised to see Jess give JM the nod over AJ. However, as constantly stated these write ups have their limitations because the groupings dont play against each other. No doubt JM has the athletic edge but I like our guy when the game is on the line. If Cooper is any better this game isn't as close as most think. If Cooper and AJ are both slowed or get re-injured all bets are off. I think our defense will be eager to demonstrate their toughness and resilience.

Bama 27
A&M 17

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Our D has a lot of pride in their performances, so hopefully they'll be hungry to prove that the LSU game was an aberration but either way this is definitely a much scarier game than it looked much earlier in the year.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I see this game coming down to the wire. Hopefully we don't let A&M have any easy scores. Make them work hard for every point.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
IF A.J. is relatively healthy, I believe the offense will be able to outscore A&M. Last week, I think our staff underestimated what ZM could do... and as a result, we didn't have a lot of adjustments which could be made to stop him mid-game. I also think having Mosely off the field for the majority of snaps hurt us greatly as well... and A&M won't have nearly the OL push in running the ball that LSU enjoyed. I'd look for a similar game to what LSU had against them at worst.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I can't speak for Jess, but I think it's the injuries more than anything. I think the injuries are a major reason that AJ was off on accuracy last week.
AJ was putting a lot of pressure on himself last week, and seemed to play very tight.
...I think this game will be a lot different for him, and I dont see how A&Ms defense will be able to stop our offense. It will definitely come down to our D-Line containing Johhny Manziel, and I think that a lot of good came from last weeks game against LSU. We'll see a different scheme for the secondary, and I expect to see a LOT better coverage.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
TAMU's biggest plus is that they start very fast each week which is the biggest threat to a team coming off such an emotional and physically draining game as last week. Alabama has kinda been sluggish to start in those MSU games following LSU the last few years but MSU's offensive ineptitude kept them from really ever putting us in a tense situation. TAMU is the kind of team that can put us in a hole quick if the intensity isn't quite there in the first quarter.

The indicators on this game is how the defense starts this game off and how the OL can respond early to a team that will be in reckless abandon to the backfield on runs and passes. On paper it appears that Alabama should be able to do some things against their defense but it hinges on protection. The long term keys to the game will be keeping Manziel in the middle of the field and wearing down their defensive front. 3rd down defense has to improve so the offense can work on the clock and the scoreboard.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
TAMU's biggest plus is that they start very fast each week which is the biggest threat to a team coming off such an emotional and physically draining game as last week. Alabama has kinda been sluggish to start in those MSU games following LSU the last few years but MSU's offensive ineptitude kept them from really ever putting us in a tense situation. TAMU is the kind of team that can put us in a hole quick if the intensity isn't quite there in the first quarter.

The indicators on this game is how the defense starts this game off and how the OL can respond early to a team that will be in reckless abandon to the backfield on runs and passes. On paper it appears that Alabama should be able to do some things against their defense but it hinges on protection. The long term keys to the game will be keeping Manziel in the middle of the field and wearing down their defensive front. 3rd down defense has to improve so the offense can work on the clock and the scoreboard.
If A & M wins the coin toss at the beginning of the game, I know they will go on the offensive.

If the Crimson Tide wins the coin toss, what will we do? I'd say go on offense and DRIVE the ball hopefully down their throat from the get-go. Keep Johnny Football OFF the field of battle as much as possible. We need to have 2/3 possession of the ball and it could still be close.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I've said on a TAMU site thread and it bears repeating here, A&M doesn't have to play above themselves to win but simply play their A-game. I think it may take a lackluster game from Alabama...our B-minus or worse type game. This is a very coherent offense where the QB is getting more comfortable in the scheme each week. The fact Manziel struggled against Florida in game 1 and LSU midseason are possibly growth moments for him, not signs that Alabama will overwhelm the kid. Lets not forget, he may have struggled against each but he had some impressive moments too.

It's funny how it works out but TAMU is probably the toughest matchup on our schedule in terms of conflict in style and capability on offense. If they get rolling, we've got to watch out for Moore. They may not quite be a traditional 3-4 type defense but that defender will move all over the field. They exploit him greatly and will get him on guards flip him from weak to strong side. They're really kinda 4-3 personnel with a guy who they allow to roam like a 3-4 designated rusher.

I think our secondary will be key. I'm sure they've been hearing it all week. I think they'll rise to the challenge. One matchup I'm ready to see is that front seven against their OLine. I think we'll win that matchup, but we'll take our lumps for about half a quarter and then that light will turn back on. Roll Tide!

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
I expect our gameplan to be ball-control, ball-control, ball-control.
And I think our secondary picks off JM for a TD.
I'm going to say Bama 30-17.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
WOW.....amazingly detailed analysis, Jess....really superb, sir!

I will not make a score prediction except to say I agree with the camp who believes it will be a close one.

The "X" factor for the game will indeed be Manziel. He is an amazing football player!

If Bama's "D" can shut down aTm's "O'...it's game over.

RTR! :biggrin2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.