Link: Bobby Petrino interested in Kentucky

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
http://espn.go.com/college-football...interest-vacant-kentucky-job-according-father

I think Kentucky would be a better place for Petrino. Auburn is not in a good position right now. A&M looks good, and Auburn is well behind Alabama and LSU. He would get fired at Auburn, for a season that would give him job security at Kentucky. He's not a bad coach, and I think he could get Kentucky to a bowl game most years. Not much better than that, but Kentucky wouldn't need much better than that.

I'm not sure how bad Auburn wants Petrino, or if they want him at all but Kentucky seems like a good place for him to settle for a while.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
UK is a much better fit for him than either UT or au. 7-8 wins a year maybe an occasional 9 or 10 win season would be right up UK's alley. Lower tier bowl.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I think the Barn isn't an attractive job because of the "family" control!

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
UK is a much better fit for him than either UT or au. 7-8 wins a year maybe an occasional 9 or 10 win season would be right up UK's alley. Lower tier bowl.
Agree. Kentucky is basketball, but they expect to field a good and entertaining football team too, no Vandy shutouts. If they liked Hal Mumme, they will love Petrino. Gus Malzahn would be another good fit.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I'm not sure UK could handle two personalities like Calipari and Petrino at the school. Plus, would Petrino be okay with basketball being the bigger of the two programs? What Calipari wants, he'll get at that school. Petrino will have to be second to him every time.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Petrino may take what he can get, at the best price. Don't think KY is a final destination job for him. If he elevates KY to bowl eligibility status regularly, his stock rises and he's out of town soon, leaving behind the wreckage but also away from Calipari and all the overshadowing of the KY round ball program.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
I said that form the get go, after all U of L hired Pitino (BB coach supreme at UK) enraging UK fans...so UK hires Petrino (successful FB coach at U of L) paying back U of L, and going up a few notches to relevancy in football, and winning some more games against a hated rival. Pitino, Petrino, potato petahto....

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Kentucky is actually at the level that Petrino needs to be at anyway even without any baggage. He doesn't believe in defense at all, so he's never going to amount to anything at the elite level.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Well Kentucky does not play Arkansas next year. So he could avoid that awkard meeting for at least a year.
I believe after this season it won't be too bad. I am wondering if the majority of the fan-base wishes he was had not been fired, with some believing the administration caved into media pressure. Before the internet and 24 hour sports channels, this probably would have been covered.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
No way Kentucky pays him what he wants.
He's really not in very strong bargaining position at the moment. They'll work something out unless he can't handle the "no 20-something young lovelies on the football staff" clause Kentucky will insist on. :biggrin2:

dathbama

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 19, 2004
Ruckersville, VA
www.uvachurch.com
An interesting quote from the article:

"I just know this, that he's interested in Kentucky," Bobby Petrino Sr. told the newspaper. "He wants to stay in the SEC. That was his life's goal was to go to the SEC.".
Another possible take on this is that this is adding pressure on Auburn to meet certain demands (Such as the firing of Jay Jacobs, etc..). Notice that "He wants to stay in the SEC". Sounds like possible leverage to other interested SEC programs to act.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.