Link: Bobby Petrino interested in Kentucky

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida
Definitely Kentucky. Petrino needs to stay as far away from auburn as possible. He would be a good fit at UK and could turn them around. Not BCS bowl game turnaround, but bowl eligible at least.

drfrankfree

Scout Team
Aug 1, 2006
I have heard from more thana few people, including David Pollack from ESPN, that Pertrino is headed back to Hogville. The admin will view it is a "one year suspension without pay". He will return with a new contract, no doubt with several "morality clauses". He's a great hire for Arky and those are his kids. I think they work it out.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
One problem with this: The UK administration has already said they aren't interested.

So unless they reverse course, what Petrino wants in regards to UK is irrelevant.

The school most interested in him right now is Auburn, but not everyone there wants him. Still, I expect him to be there next year.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
One problem with this: The UK administration has already said they aren't interested.

So unless they reverse course, what Petrino wants in regards to UK is irrelevant.

The school most interested in him right now is Auburn, but not everyone there wants him. Still, I expect him to be there next year.
Very interesting. Very interesting indeed. I should think it will take him or anyone for that matter, some time to rebuild that roster.

UAME

All-SEC
Mar 28, 2000
Tuscumbia, AL
Between AU, UT, Arky, & KY I believe KY would be CBP's last choice. This has all the markings of a Sexton-esque agent ploy. Joker gets fired, so this is the first school with which a Petrino rumor would get the attention of any other program (hello AU, Arkansas) and maybe force their hand to begin back room negotiations, if they have any aspirations of hiring him before he's snatched off the market.

The problem for CBP is that he knows he's damaged goods. He'd be happy with regaining ANY SEC gig at this point, and can't afford to pass any offers up, but doesn't want to jump at the first one only to find out later there would have been better opportunities.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I don't see why Kentucky would be undesirable to Petrino. He had a lot of success in the state, and the east is softer than the west. If he takes them to bowl games, not only would he have job security but his name would come up for top tier positions. Consider how the east and the west stack up this year (5-4 Vandy is fourth in the East), even with the east being a bit better this year than the past couple years. On the other hand, if Kentucky wants to go to bowl games, they need a guy like Petrino.

At Kentucky, being middle of the pack of the SEC East would be considered good, but at Auburn being middle of the pack is not acceptable. All he'd really have to do at Kentucky, is get ahead of Missouri, and Vanderbilt, and I don't see any reason he can't have close to the level of success South Carolina has.

At Auburn, they won't accept being fourth in the SEC West on a regular basis, but they are well behind Alabama and LSU. Along with that, Texas A&M appears to be on the right track, and seem well ahead of Auburn as well. So, he has to jump in and accomplish more at Auburn, with more working against him.

Auburn is a top 30 school, but they are somewhere between a top tier job and a stepping stone. You don't go to Auburn to win national championships, but you don't move up from Auburn either. It's a dead end for head coaching careers. They also will fire you no matter what after one bad season.

Arkansas? I just don't see their reversing course with Petrino, just doesn't seem possible.

If the Tennessee job was up for grabs, I would think Petrino would prefer that, but I don't think UT has the need to take on any baggage. If he had that chance though, he should jump at it. The SEC East is softer, and he could reasonably expect to compete at the top there.

Strictly as a coach, I thought Petrino was one of the best in the SEC. I think you can argue that Saban, Miles, and Spurrier are better... but I don't think you can make a lot of convincing arguments after that. Yes, he's not a defensive guy, but he won at his last two stops. He's also not a great recruiter, but seriously... we know what Auburn would do if he was there. They have a higher salary cap for players and they'd use it. I don't know how well he'd do at Auburn, but I don't imagine he'd be completely running things either, which could work against him.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.