Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team tidegrandpa's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Another autopsy of AJ to TJ touchdown from the corndog side...

Pretty detailed account, don't know how accurate but it made for an interesting read for me....
    http://www.andthevalleyshook.com/201...don-was-scored

2. Advertisement

Re: SIAP....Another autopsy of AJ to TJ from the corndog side...

"Pretty detailed" is quite the understatement!
    It took me more time to read that (and I got bored and quit halfway through it) than it did to go to youtube and download and rewatch BAMA's final drive!
    "We didn't come here lookin' for a moral victory."
    - Nick Saban, December 5, 2009

BamaNation Second Team

Great breakdown. idk how you could get bored with that.

Thanks for posting. I've seen that play many times over the past few days, but didn't get that depth of explanation.

I read the whole thing and didn't get the least bit bored.

BamaNation All-American formersoldier71's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The only mistake in his analysis that I see right off is that Norwood did not stay in and block. Without benefit of seeing a replay right now, it looks like Norwood may well have chipped the edge blitzer on his side, but he did go out in the pattern and the blitzer over Steen backed out to follow Norwood.
    Victory... does not depend entirely upon numbers or mere courage; only skill and discipline will insure it. - Vegetius

BamaNation All-American bamabelle1991's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I actually appreciate the "lesson"! haha! Pretty interesting stuff, especially to someone who has never played or coached football.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMom2Boys's Avatar
    My Mood
    Aggressive0 on TideFans.com

Thank for this post, I love detailed breakdowns like this. It really makes you appreciate our offense even more, especially our offensive line.
    Roll Tide

My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

That was awesome!
    "Auburn would never admit it, but it always wanted to be Alabama when it grew up." -ESPN's Gene Wojciechowski

BamaNation First Team

Great article. Thanks for posting.

BamaNation All-American

that really emphasizes just how complicated football is and how much the players have to know on each play.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMom2Boys's Avatar
    My Mood
    Aggressive0 on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by davefrat View Post
    that really emphasizes just how complicated football is and how much the players have to know on each play.

And the guy was right, it is amazing a true freshman like Yeldon is able to fake the screen perfectly. Even when the ball was snapped..he still did a great job selling the pass protection.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by formersoldier71 View Post
    The only mistake in his analysis that I see right off is that Norwood did not stay in and block. Without benefit of seeing a replay right now, it looks like Norwood may well have chipped the edge blitzer on his side, but he did go out in the pattern and the blitzer over Steen backed out to follow Norwood.
    "Staying in" to block doesn't necessarily mean never leaving the backfield. In this case, what he was referring to is whether or not Norwood immediately vacates the backfield to run a route. Staying in long enough to get a chip block is considered "staying in" to block, at least at the snap.

It's a quick read by the defender, causing him to pick which angle to attack based upon Norwood's initial movement. Norwood's job on that play, as far as the weak-side blitz was concerned, was to delay the outside blitzer just enough to prevent him from affecting McCarron's throw to Yeldon.

He broke that play down perfectly. Everyone, and I mean everyone, on the field on that play did their jobs. It was just a perfect offensive play call, a perfect foil, to the call made by the defense. No one messed up, either for Alabama or LSU. Everyone had their assignment and carried it out just the way it's taught. It was simply a perfect play called at the perfect time.

The only people to blame for that last drive, as far as LSU is concerned, is Miles and Chavis. They didn't necessarily make bad defensive play calls but they were predictable. LSU's modus operandi, in two-minute defense, is to play a bit soft in coverage to keep everything in front of them until you get to around their 30 yard line. Then they get aggressive and start blitzing with 2 or 3 extra guys, counting on their man coverage in the shortened field, hoping you'll make a mistake by taking a sack or throwing up an interception.

Of course, Miles seems to be very reluctant to ever specifically blame himself, almost always passing the buck on to his players.
    I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you've earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.
    - Thomas Sowell

Nice breakdown - really show not only how great that call was, but just how well it was executed. Sometimes the defense does everything right and still loses on a play. Thankfully this time it was their D.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!