Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: SIAP....Another autopsy of AJ to TJ from the corndog side...

My analysis - and others on the internet like Smartfootball.com's Chris Brown - is that LSU seems to have been in a zero blitz. That is, a blitz with no safety deep and man coverage across the board. It's a pretty "en vogue" call these days because of tweaks to the philosophy to it. It isn't a "no ifs, ands, or buts" 7-man blitz. Each blitzer who ends up on an eligible receiver reads the blocker: if he immediately releases into a route, they peel off the blitz and trail the receiver. This makes the 7-man calls more sound against your traditional hot route throws to a receiver at the end of the line or in the backfield and ultimately makes the blitz more effective because it forces the QB to throw downfield to longer developing routes and likely take the sack.

The key is that Alabama's staff anticipated a blitz with some kind of peel principle on the eligibles in the box. They didn't call an immediate off-tackle screen, it was a delay screen of sorts where the receiver gives a solid engage on the blitzer then released at just the right moment where the defender got too deep into his rush to think anything but "hit QB." McCarron sold it well by having excellent timing looking off - reinforcing to the free blitzer that he just didn't get duped by Yeldon - and turning towards Yeldon right when he was ready to catch the screen pass.

This is an example of getting a team in just the defense needed to execute the play. The success of the last few plays kind of made LSU unlikely not to execute the pressure they were showing since their defense was reeling and Alabama had just the play up their sleeves to bust it.

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Nice breakdown - really show not only how great that call was, but just how well it was executed. Sometimes the defense does everything right and still loses on a play. Thankfully this time it was their D.
    Just shows what a chess match coaching can be at times. I think it was Gary Danielson that said that in CNS's defense there is always a "weak spot" on the field, but in most cases his scheme hides it or hurries the qb enough that it is not exposed.

Thanks for the post. It goes to show how Bama and LSU folks really get into the details of critical plays to better understand exactly how it happened.

I think it is interesting to hear that Les blamed the freshman and his own players stated that the guy did his job.

One thing for sure, Yeldon and and his teammates did theirjob on the play. Roll Tide!!
    "May the Tide Be with You"

BamaNation First Team Highway59's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

The figures look good to me Coach. TJ should arrive in endzone in 5.4 seconds...

BamaNation All-American

Absolutely fascinating breakdown. Well worth the time and effort to read all the detail. Outstanding link!
    Undefeated World Champion Threadkiller

BamaNation First Team

Very good breakdown. I'd be more than interested in Jess picking an interesting play for each game, and doing a breakdown along these lines.

BamaNation All-American 1FitToBeTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

And I'm assuming Coach Nuss made that call, with CNS' stamp of approval. The 'perfect storm' for a screen...

"When you are arguing against Him, you are arguing against the very power that makes you able to argue at all." C.S. Lewis

"Aim at Heaven and you will get Earth thrown in. Aim at Earth and you will get neither." C.S Lewis

BamaNation First Team

Bama has been running the RB screen as well as any team I've ever seen pretty much from 2008 on. Think back how many times Ingram, Richardson, Lacy or Yeldon have caught one of those for big yardage prior to LSU. I think Burton Burns does an outstanding job teaching our RB's the nuances of playing RB. Of course our OL and receivers know what to do as well.

Read this earlier today and thoroughly enjoyed it. It really does show how difficult this game is to play...

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Yeah, this is exactly what I thought when I reviewed the play. It was just well designed and TJ did a heck of a job to sell it. They didn't have a chance.
    ROLL TIDE!

It just goes to show what a special player TJ is, just worlds beyond his years and experience. When I remember this guy is someone we recruited lightly until his senior season, when he exploded talent and growth-wise - and we had to go and pluck him from sure destruction for AU - it's enough to make me shudder. If we do manage to beat the odds and hoist the crystal again, this young man will have a great deal to do with it...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Great post!!!

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by DrollTide View Post
    Very good breakdown. I'd be more than interested in Jess picking an interesting play for each game, and doing a breakdown along these lines.
    Doesn't Jess do enough for us as it is??? Maybe you could do it for us in your spare time! LOL