Link: Another autopsy of AJ to TJ touchdown from the corndog side...

jdatide

1st Team
Nov 15, 2007
Carlisle, OH
Re: SIAP....Another autopsy of AJ to TJ from the corndog side...

"Pretty detailed" is quite the understatement! :biggrin:
It took me more time to read that (and I got bored and quit halfway through it) than it did to go to youtube and download and rewatch BAMA's final drive!

BillDee

3rd Team
Sep 7, 2010
Athens, GA
www.BillDunston.com

Thanks for posting. I've seen that play many times over the past few days, but didn't get that depth of explanation.

I read the whole thing and didn't get the least bit bored.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL

The only mistake in his analysis that I see right off is that Norwood did not stay in and block. Without benefit of seeing a replay right now, it looks like Norwood may well have chipped the edge blitzer on his side, but he did go out in the pattern and the blitzer over Steen backed out to follow Norwood.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

I actually appreciate the "lesson"! haha! Pretty interesting stuff, especially to someone who has never played or coached football. :)

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

Thank for this post, I love detailed breakdowns like this. It really makes you appreciate our offense even more, especially our offensive line.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

that really emphasizes just how complicated football is and how much the players have to know on each play.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

that really emphasizes just how complicated football is and how much the players have to know on each play.

And the guy was right, it is amazing a true freshman like Yeldon is able to fake the screen perfectly. Even when the ball was snapped..he still did a great job selling the pass protection.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

The only mistake in his analysis that I see right off is that Norwood did not stay in and block. Without benefit of seeing a replay right now, it looks like Norwood may well have chipped the edge blitzer on his side, but he did go out in the pattern and the blitzer over Steen backed out to follow Norwood.
"Staying in" to block doesn't necessarily mean never leaving the backfield. In this case, what he was referring to is whether or not Norwood immediately vacates the backfield to run a route. Staying in long enough to get a chip block is considered "staying in" to block, at least at the snap.

It's a quick read by the defender, causing him to pick which angle to attack based upon Norwood's initial movement. Norwood's job on that play, as far as the weak-side blitz was concerned, was to delay the outside blitzer just enough to prevent him from affecting McCarron's throw to Yeldon.

He broke that play down perfectly. Everyone, and I mean everyone, on the field on that play did their jobs. It was just a perfect offensive play call, a perfect foil, to the call made by the defense. No one messed up, either for Alabama or LSU. Everyone had their assignment and carried it out just the way it's taught. It was simply a perfect play called at the perfect time.

The only people to blame for that last drive, as far as LSU is concerned, is Miles and Chavis. They didn't necessarily make bad defensive play calls but they were predictable. LSU's modus operandi, in two-minute defense, is to play a bit soft in coverage to keep everything in front of them until you get to around their 30 yard line. Then they get aggressive and start blitzing with 2 or 3 extra guys, counting on their man coverage in the shortened field, hoping you'll make a mistake by taking a sack or throwing up an interception.

Of course, Miles seems to be very reluctant to ever specifically blame himself, almost always passing the buck on to his players.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Nice breakdown - really show not only how great that call was, but just how well it was executed. Sometimes the defense does everything right and still loses on a play. Thankfully this time it was their D.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

My analysis - and others on the internet like Smartfootball.com's Chris Brown - is that LSU seems to have been in a zero blitz. That is, a blitz with no safety deep and man coverage across the board. It's a pretty "en vogue" call these days because of tweaks to the philosophy to it. It isn't a "no ifs, ands, or buts" 7-man blitz. Each blitzer who ends up on an eligible receiver reads the blocker: if he immediately releases into a route, they peel off the blitz and trail the receiver. This makes the 7-man calls more sound against your traditional hot route throws to a receiver at the end of the line or in the backfield and ultimately makes the blitz more effective because it forces the QB to throw downfield to longer developing routes and likely take the sack.

The key is that Alabama's staff anticipated a blitz with some kind of peel principle on the eligibles in the box. They didn't call an immediate off-tackle screen, it was a delay screen of sorts where the receiver gives a solid engage on the blitzer then released at just the right moment where the defender got too deep into his rush to think anything but "hit QB." McCarron sold it well by having excellent timing looking off - reinforcing to the free blitzer that he just didn't get duped by Yeldon - and turning towards Yeldon right when he was ready to catch the screen pass.

This is an example of getting a team in just the defense needed to execute the play. The success of the last few plays kind of made LSU unlikely not to execute the pressure they were showing since their defense was reeling and Alabama had just the play up their sleeves to bust it.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Nice breakdown - really show not only how great that call was, but just how well it was executed. Sometimes the defense does everything right and still loses on a play. Thankfully this time it was their D.
Just shows what a chess match coaching can be at times. I think it was Gary Danielson that said that in CNS's defense there is always a "weak spot" on the field, but in most cases his scheme hides it or hurries the qb enough that it is not exposed.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama

Thanks for the post. It goes to show how Bama and LSU folks really get into the details of critical plays to better understand exactly how it happened.

I think it is interesting to hear that Les blamed the freshman and his own players stated that the guy did his job.

One thing for sure, Yeldon and and his teammates did theirjob on the play. Roll Tide!!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Absolutely fascinating breakdown. Well worth the time and effort to read all the detail. Outstanding link!

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch

Very good breakdown. I'd be more than interested in Jess picking an interesting play for each game, and doing a breakdown along these lines.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian

And I'm assuming Coach Nuss made that call, with CNS' stamp of approval. The 'perfect storm' for a screen...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.