Blog: Latest Bama News 11/9 Pre Game Thru 11/10/2012 Game Day Edition

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
You know about quarterback Johnny Manziel, who reminds Tide coach Nick Saban of Doug Flutie, the former Boston College touchdown machine. Saban had to be a young assistant back in the mid-80s-- maybe at Navy or Michigan State -- when Flutie was working on a Heisman Trophy career. Manziel, or Johnny Football, is no Flutie. He's a redshirt freshman running head coach Kevin Sumlin's spread offense that goes no-huddle and frustrates defensive coordinators with its warp speed.

The Picker: Johnny Football, Aggies can put on a show, but not against Alabama (Charles Hollis)-al.com

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Damion Square learned this in 2010 — referred to at Alabama as the year these seniors did not win the title — when he first started on the defensive line. Against Arkansas, Saban called several plays that isolated Square as the playmaker. That day, Square mostly failed. And after one first down in particular — Square had allowed the quarterback to get around him and run free — Saban approached him on the sideline, threw up his hands, and said: "Square, what’s up? That’s you." "I never wanted him to come back to me and give me that type of look again," said Square, who played sparingly the rest of the season, but is now a fifth-year senior and team leader. When Saban disciplines someone, it is Square who consoles them. In general, Square patrols the linemen, Johnson the linebackers and Lester the secondary, and they discuss issues among themselves, so order is kept. "We believe that that way, everybody’s going to get all of the accolades, get drafted where they want to get drafted — those other things come with us playing as a team," Square said.
Alabama Defense Fears but One Man - Nick Saban - NYTimes.com

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Blake Sims, Alabama’s most athletic quarterback, will do his best to mimic Manziel on Alabama’s scout team this week in practice, as he often does when UA is preparing for a mobile quarterback. "Blake provides us with a good look when we played Michigan and Denard (Robinson) was at quarterback. Everyone always asks you what’s the difference between Denard and this guy named Johnny," said linebacker Adrian Hubbard. "Our scout team, they always give you a good look every week. So I give a lot of credit to them."

Crimson Tide gear for Aggies’ quarterback - SEC Sports - The News Herald

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
UVa had a 12:30 p.m. game Saturday and Sims caught pieces of the Alabama-LSU game later that night. "Whenever I do have a chance, I watch those guys," said Sims, who ran for a touchdown and tossed a touchdown pass in UVa's 33-6 victory at North Carolina State. "It was a big game for us and I just wanted to spend some time with my teammates. "Me and A.J., we have conversations every other week or text each other. He said I've helped him - don't ask me how - and I've learned some things from him along the way. Competing brought the best out in both of us."
College Notebook: Sims rooting for former teammate - Roanoke.com

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Alabama, too, also is taking an unusual step in honor of a visiting team: A handful of Bryant's players from A&M, including Crow, will be recognized before the game at Bryant-Denny Stadium. Paul Bryant Jr. also is holding a reception for Bryant's Aggies in Tuscaloosa. The group includes the famed Junction Boys, but Crow was a freshman at the time and didn't make the trip to Junction for the dogged training camp in 1954. "I like to tell the seniors who were at Junction that we had four Junctions," Crow said with a laugh of Bryant's grueling August camps in College Station, "and they only had one."

Bama muddied No. 1 Aggies' fantasy in 1957 - Houston Chronicle

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Our predictions continue to be nearly flawless, although our weekly upset specials have been about as special as “Joker Phillips Appreciation Day” in Lexington. Last week we thought the mighty Vanderbilt Commodores would defeat the Wildcats, but who would have dreamed a 40-0 pasting that sent Cats Coach Phillips packing
No Coaches On Hot Seat In Tuscaloosa-BamaMag

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
This weekend’s big Alabama-Texas A&M clash in Tuscaloosa will grab the interest of a whole lotta Southeastern Conference football fans. And not just for the obvious “it’s a big game” reason.Think about it.
For those SEC fans who want the league to capture yet another BCS championship — the conference’s seventh in a row — Alabama is by far the best bet to capture said title. No other SEC team has anything other than a very long shot chance of even reaching the championship game. If you want the league to remain on top, you almost have to be cheering for the Crimson Tide at this point .

SEC FANS HAVE TO BE TORN OVER BAMA-A&M GAME-MRSEC

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.