First Bama game you ever watched?

Crimson Draw

3rd Team
Nov 8, 2008
I'm only 20, so the first game I watched all the way through was 08 against Clemson. (Better late than never, right?)
I used to walk in during some games, but that was the first one I actively sat down and watched. I've been watching ever since. :)

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Since you asked: My grandparents home is where Gene Stallings stayed during the recruitment of Wayne Tremble and and co. from Cullman.

First time I knew there was a Alabama was the 72 Orange bowl that my mother was listening to on the radio.(fickle fan) 6 yrs old

The first that I glanced at a game on TV was the 74 Iron Bowl while at my uncles in Cullman 8 yrs old

The first game that I watched in it's entirety was the 75 Missouri loss. It came on TV, and I watched it and was hooked. I knew who Coach Bryant was by that time.
Finished the season watching the Iron and Orange BowlS. Watched the Bowl games ever since.

The first season that I followed and understood football was the 1978 season. 12 years old and became an instant fanatic. Ever week I picked up a Beer Companies football pamphlet that had the rankings and scores of all the teams. The rankings had power numbers. I read these religiously ever week and familiarized myself with all the teams this way. We were usually 2 or 3 during the season that year. Having been playing football by that time, age 12 is when I became a somewhat educated fan that understood. It has built from that season ever since. I even played in the drum line solely to watch the games and get on the field.

I am very happy that coach Saban is creating superfans. I believe their is a generation of kids that didn't connect as well as some of us that experienced greatness and had a team that was the envy of the league.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
In person: Bama vs USCw at Legion Field in 1978. Charles White was running back for USCw, and they beat us. SI's cover next week had photo of the game, with caption, "Rolling Back the Tide." Still makes me sick. Fortunately, we won half of the NC that year. Ironically, we shared it with USCw.
Can you imagine if this same situation (USCw ...or any other team really... beating us early and then having a split NC with them) would happen today? Sports talk show people would literally keel over from heart attacks the way they carry on so much .... as though their opinions are the most important.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
This was my first TV game also. It was 1969 and Archie and Scott Hunter had a passing shootout and IIRC we won 33-28. I think Hunter threw for over 400 yds.
You had part of that right. It was 33-32. I was there with my wife in my sophomore year. A gut-wrenching shootout to end all shootouts. Also some trivia: It was the first regular-season college football game nationally televised in prime time.

Another poster mentioned Lauren Stapp. His nickname was " Goobie".

My first game attended was the '61 game vs Tulane in Ladd Stadium, Mobile. There was a period when we played them, USM and LSU down there from time to time.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Sometime in the early 70's. My Dad wasn't really a football fan, but I remember him telling me that this game was important.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I know it was in the early 80's, but I just can't remember the "first" one I seen. The first I remember off the top of my head was the 85 Iron Bowl.

My first in person was 92 vs. Vandy and I was steaming mad because Palmer was suspended.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Never been to a Bama game but the first one I saw was Alabama vs LSU 2000, I was 3 at the time as well.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
I'm sure I watched some when I was younger, but first one I remember is 1973 Sugar Bowl (Bama-ND). I vividly remember how bummed my Dad (Bama alum, class of 1964) was after the game.

JGrim

Scout Team
Sep 14, 2010
I'm pretty sure I was still in diapers watching my first Bama game on tv. First game attended? Sometime in the 80's against Florida-relatives could hear me yell "Get 'em, Bama" across the field.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Dad took me to see the NC State game in 1961 our first championship year under Bryant. I was immediately enthralled as soon as the band play the fight song because my kindergarten teachers daughter played in the band and I had a "crush" on her... lol
I remember the game vividly to this day and it basically changed my life forever.
The first game I watched on television was Bama versus Geronimo in 1868. Verne Lundquist was the announcer.
sip

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
The Sugar Bowl following the 1973 season is the first I can remember because my dad didn't stop griping about it until Jimmy Carter got elected and he had something new to gripe about. :biggrin:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.