Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: First Bama game you ever watched?

Quote Originally Posted by ccc2259 View Post
    In person: Bama vs USCw at Legion Field in 1978. Charles White was running back for USCw, and they beat us. SI's cover next week had photo of the game, with caption, "Rolling Back the Tide." Still makes me sick. Fortunately, we won half of the NC that year. Ironically, we shared it with USCw.

On TV: I was too young to remember specifics, but it was a Bama - Ole Miss game when Archie Manning played for them.
    This was my first TV game also. It was 1969 and Archie and Scott Hunter had a passing shootout and IIRC we won 33-28. I think Hunter threw for over 400 yds.

2. Advertisement

I'm only 20, so the first game I watched all the way through was 08 against Clemson. (Better late than never, right?)
    I used to walk in during some games, but that was the first one I actively sat down and watched. I've been watching ever since.

Since you asked: My grandparents home is where Gene Stallings stayed during the recruitment of Wayne Tremble and and co. from Cullman.

First time I knew there was a Alabama was the 72 Orange bowl that my mother was listening to on the radio.(fickle fan) 6 yrs old

The first that I glanced at a game on TV was the 74 Iron Bowl while at my uncles in Cullman 8 yrs old

The first game that I watched in it's entirety was the 75 Missouri loss. It came on TV, and I watched it and was hooked. I knew who Coach Bryant was by that time.
    Finished the season watching the Iron and Orange BowlS. Watched the Bowl games ever since.

The first season that I followed and understood football was the 1978 season. 12 years old and became an instant fanatic. Ever week I picked up a Beer Companies football pamphlet that had the rankings and scores of all the teams. The rankings had power numbers. I read these religiously ever week and familiarized myself with all the teams this way. We were usually 2 or 3 during the season that year. Having been playing football by that time, age 12 is when I became a somewhat educated fan that understood. It has built from that season ever since. I even played in the drum line solely to watch the games and get on the field.

I am very happy that coach Saban is creating superfans. I believe their is a generation of kids that didn't connect as well as some of us that experienced greatness and had a team that was the envy of the league.

BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

In person: Bama vs USCw at Legion Field in 1978. Charles White was running back for USCw, and they beat us. SI's cover next week had photo of the game, with caption, "Rolling Back the Tide." Still makes me sick. Fortunately, we won half of the NC that year. Ironically, we shared it with USCw.
    Can you imagine if this same situation (USCw ...or any other team really... beating us early and then having a split NC with them) would happen today? Sports talk show people would literally keel over from heart attacks the way they carry on so much .... as though their opinions are the most important.
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

BamaNation All-American 1FitToBeTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJ View Post
    This was my first TV game also. It was 1969 and Archie and Scott Hunter had a passing shootout and IIRC we won 33-28. I think Hunter threw for over 400 yds.
    You had part of that right. It was 33-32. I was there with my wife in my sophomore year. A gut-wrenching shootout to end all shootouts. Also some trivia: It was the first regular-season college football game nationally televised in prime time.

Another poster mentioned Lauren Stapp. His nickname was " Goobie".

My first game attended was the '61 game vs Tulane in Ladd Stadium, Mobile. There was a period when we played them, USM and LSU down there from time to time.

"When you are arguing against Him, you are arguing against the very power that makes you able to argue at all." C.S. Lewis

"Aim at Heaven and you will get Earth thrown in. Aim at Earth and you will get neither." C.S Lewis

TV - 66 Orange
    In person - 68 Liberty

BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    Tolerant on TideFans.com

In person was the first game in Denny Stadium (!) my freshman year in 1973: Alabama 28, Georgia 14.

Sometime in the early 70's. My Dad wasn't really a football fan, but I remember him telling me that this game was important.

BamaNation All-American 230kv_barehand's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I know it was in the early 80's, but I just can't remember the "first" one I seen. The first I remember off the top of my head was the 85 Iron Bowl.

My first in person was 92 vs. Vandy and I was steaming mad because Palmer was suspended.

My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

9-30-1967 Ladd Stadium in Mobile.

Never been to a Bama game but the first one I saw was Alabama vs LSU 2000, I was 3 at the time as well.

BamaNation All-SEC KrimsonNinja's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

1996 Iron Bowl.

I was 5 going on 6 years old. It's the first game I can clearly remember watching.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

BamaNation All-SEC

I'm sure I watched some when I was younger, but first one I remember is 1973 Sugar Bowl (Bama-ND). I vividly remember how bummed my Dad (Bama alum, class of 1964) was after the game.