First Bama game you ever watched?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
As many times as this these threads get started, they always seem popular...
...that's cause the best memories of your life never grow tiresome nor old...they're kind of like watching Andy Griffith and Barney.
You know what's gonna happen but you watch anyway and it's just as good or better every time! :)
Ain't nuthin like Bama football! :) sip

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Mine was the 1969 Alabama-Ole Miss broadcast. I was six, and as it was a night game, I was only allowed to stay up for kickoff. Mom wrote the final score on a notecard, leaving it on my nightstand so I could wake up happy. I'm not sure what she'd have done had Alabama lost. It's a good memory - wish I'd kept the note...

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
I can't remember the first game I watched on tv. The first game I saw in person was the Alabama vs. Nebraska game in the Sugar Bowl, January 1, 1966.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I know I had a working knowledge of Bama football before this, but my first clear recollection of any of Bama's games would be around the '99 Season. I was seven at the time, and for some reason that season stood out to me so much that I can tell you some of the most remote details about the circumstances surrounding the games, but I can't remember anything prior to that.

DothanTide

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 6, 2011
'85 Iron Bowl with Van Tiffin's kick to win the game when I was 5. My parents were rooting for Auburn, so I was playing the devil's advocate and rooted for 'Bama. After the game-winning kick, I was so hyped that I chose Alabama as "my team" and never looked back. Best decision ever, I might add. :biggrin:

First time I ever saw them live was at Bryant-Denny in '06 against Vandy(sadly, I'd been to two games at the Barn way before finally seeing a game in Tuscaloosa including the Iron Bowl the previous year where Brodie got sacked into oblivion).

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
Bama and Georgia at a 55,000 seat BDS in the early 70s. It was a nail biter that Bama pulled out in the fourth quarter. I don't remember much about the game except it was fun.

jaakRTR

3rd Team
Nov 21, 2010
Lexington Alabama
I have memories of watching the '85 Iron Bowl (I was eight at the time) Really wasn't until my teens I started really watching/keeping up with Bama Football. First game I attended was Bama vs. Southern Miss at Legion Field (in '97, I think).

Jason

BoSox Tider

Scout Team
Jul 1, 2011
I'm pretty sure I watched all or parts of some games in the early 70s (not easy in those days - no satellite or cable and most teams only got 2-3 televised games each season). But the first one I really remember was the 73 Sugar Bowl against ND. UGH!!

May 4, 2003
Larnaca, Cyprus
My first game attended was the '61 game vs Tulane in Ladd Stadium, Mobile. There was a period when we played them, USM and LSU down there from time to time.
That's the first game I remember going to and actually watching, I was 7. My Dad said he took me to a couple of Tuscaloosa (he was still in school) games in 1956 when I was 2, but I don't remember them. My Mom is from Semmes, so we always went to the Ladd Stadium games back then. Gave us a reason to drive down from Montgomery (b4 the Interstate) and visit the grandparents.

rolltideallday

1st Team
Dec 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
I don't remember much because I was 8 but the first game I remember watching was the 1999 game against Florida in the swamp. Living in Kentucky and North Carolina college football wasn't that big so I wasn't as into it when I was young. But I also remember celebrating when we took the lead against Oklahoma in on of the early 2000 games and cheering that we were gonna beat the #1 team.....I was slightly off!

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
My earliest memory is the 1965 Orange Bowl. The only play I remember is TD that we were robbed of on the QB sneak by Joe Willie. I remember by parents and friends that were watching the game with us being so upset because it was obvious that he scored. One of their players even later said that he knew Joe scored because he was laying in the end zone and Joe was laying on top of him. It was the play that cost us the 1964 Championship. Read about the game here: http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2009/12/16/1196587/alabama-vs-texas-1965-orange-bowl

My first game to attend was as a freshman at the Capstone in 1974. It was our first home game that year was against Southern Miss in BDS (Denny Stadium then) and we won 52-0! It was great! I was there later that year when we pulled out a miracle finish to be a bad FSU team 8-7 (they had lost something like 16 in a row). That was a magical season...until once again we lost to ND to lose another title (Orange Bowl - lost 11 to 13). That is why so many of us want to meet them for the Championship this year...but bring on the best and let's beat 'em. I would love to see us shutdown the Ducks!

Last edited:

bamaee04

All-SEC
Nov 15, 2004
Birmingham, AL
The first Bama game I ever attended in person was the 1998 opener against BYU when Shaun Alexander had a field day and I was a freshman at the Capstone! I know I watched/listened to many many games in the '80s, but the first game I remember bits and pieces of was the 1985 Iron Bowl and the kick...RTR!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.