First Bama game you ever watched?

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
The first one I remember watching on TV was the barn game where Ray Ogden ran a KO back over 100 yds for a TD. Not sure it was the first one I watched, just the first one I remember. And I don't even remember when that was.
It was the second half kick off of the 1964 game with the barn leading 7-6 at the half. Officially it was 100 yards , but he was 7 yards deep in the end zone when he received the kick. I couldn't believe he was bringing it out.

It was the difference in the 21-14 Bama win that clinched the 1964 NC.

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
October 20, 1973 Alabama 42 Tennessee 21. 80 yd TD pass from Gary Rutledge to Wayne Wheeler on the 1st play of the game...I was 11 and remember running to tell my Grandmother we had scored already and she pretty much told me to stop telling stories :)

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
October 20, 1973 Alabama 42 Tennessee 21. 80 yd TD pass from Gary Rutledge to Wayne Wheeler on the 1st play of the game...I was 11 and remember running to tell my Grandmother we had scored already and she pretty much told me to stop telling stories :)
Back then my daughter and brother-in-law(ut fan) had a ten dollar bet on the Bama-ut game every year. After that play, he handed her ten dollars.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
I know I had watched Bama games previous to this, but the first game I really remember is the '81 Cotton Bowl win over Baylor. First game in person was '89 Kentucky game when Hollingsworth took over the QB job. Unless you'd count the A-day game ('85, I think?) that was held at Legion Field.

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
1972 Orange Bowl. Alabama 38, Nebraska 6.

We had to watch the game with some Auburn grads on my Mom's side of the family.

I remember a crusty old uncle of mine who was convinced that Bama was going to be crushed, and I remember my aunt telling him to watch his language because of such young company.

:biggrin2:

mhiggy45

3rd Team
Sep 2, 2010
daytona bch
I was eight in 1971 when my down the street neighbor's father, doug layton, would do the radio broadcast.I listened to or watched every game since. first one I went to was the 1973 waxing of va. tech, used to be vpi I think. my grand dad took me and I remember Calvin Culliver must have run for a mile. 66-0 if I remember correctly.

mhiggy45

3rd Team
Sep 2, 2010
daytona bch
I was eight in 1971 when my down the street neighbor's father, doug layton, would do the radio broadcast.I listened to or watched every game since. first one I went to was the 1973 waxing of va. tech, used to be vpi I think. my grand dad took me and I remember Calvin Culliver must have run for a mile. 66-0 if I remember correctly.
My other down the street friends father was Lauren Stapp, used to punt for us in the sixties I think.

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida
The first game I ever went to is 13 years ago tomorrow! It was Bama vs Miss State 1999 with the winner taking the West. I haven't missed a home game since that night! Roll Tide!!! Btw, this was also the first Bama game I ever watched.

Last edited:

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
In person: Bama vs USCw at Legion Field in 1978. Charles White was running back for USCw, and they beat us. SI's cover next week had photo of the game, with caption, "Rolling Back the Tide." Still makes me sick. Fortunately, we won half of the NC that year. Ironically, we shared it with USCw.

On TV: I was too young to remember specifics, but it was a Bama - Ole Miss game when Archie Manning played for them.

BamaNBossier

Scout Team
Dec 17, 2001
Bossier
1962,, Alabama vs Georgia, first game of the year,at night in Birmingham, relative coaching at Ga, got me a sideline ticket. Back then had a line of metal folding chairs where people sat, 5 yards off out of bounds line, can you imagine that today, was a soph in HS . Bama won 35-0 ...have been hooked on college football ever since... Roll Tide Roll

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
85 Iron Bowl is the first one I can remember.

The first football game I can remember seeing in person at the stadium wasn’t Alabama. It was the old all-american bowl in Birmingham. It was Kentucky and somebody. I went with my dad and my grandfather.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
In person: Bama vs USCw at Legion Field in 1978. Charles White was running back for USCw, and they beat us. SI's cover next week had photo of the game, with caption, "Rolling Back the Tide." Still makes me sick. Fortunately, we won half of the NC that year. Ironically, we shared it with USCw.

On TV: I was too young to remember specifics, but it was a Bama - Ole Miss game when Archie Manning played for them.
This was my first TV game also. It was 1969 and Archie and Scott Hunter had a passing shootout and IIRC we won 33-28. I think Hunter threw for over 400 yds.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.