****Official Post-Game Thread - Bama vs. aTm****

pcfixup

Suspended
Feb 2, 2005
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
No, but they could learn how to avoid the mental mistakes of losing containment. Once Alabama settled down mentally, that high powered A&M offense scored 9 points in 3 quarters.
Also, if the offense doesn't go 3 and out and a pic the 1st three drives....

For a BCS game with more time to prep, there should be a better offensive game plan.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
I will "settle" for a healthy AJ. He hasn't been the same since Mississippi State. When he's healthy, he's always my first pick.
I think it goes back to the injury against Missouri. He seems able to do certain things, but his touch just isn't there - he has rarely hit the receivers in stride since then. Reminds me of Michael Vick's passing.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
One thing that I thought was peculiar was that we did not use a timeout on 4th down to have plenty of time to make the right play call. IMHO it was more important to get the right play called than to hang on to the timeout in case you don't score a TD.

aerospace_ray

All-American
Oct 5, 2009
Alabama
After settling down for an hour or so, my thoughts are:
1. Team loss (as others have stated, a lot of errors from multiple sides of the ball)
2. I can accept this loss a little better, knowing we had a chance to win inside the 10 yd line.
3. We were sore, tired from LSU, etc (no excuse for loss but a contributing factor for sure)
4. I can "Monday morning QB" the play calling, but not getting 3rd and out early just forced our offense to speed up and tempo was not consistent and contributed to play calling that I did not understand.
5. We will be fine next two games and hopefully get to rest some guys and get the swagger back.
RTR

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I didn't get a chance to watch the game because I had to work late, although I did manage to see the final 8 minutes. There are a few things that stood out to me from what I saw, and here they are.

1. I want to tip my hat to A&M and Coach Sumlin for this huge win tonight. They played a whale of a game, and they proved to everybody that they are a valuable addition to the SEC. Well done rookies, well done.

2.The officials must have been doing laundry before the game, or they left their flags in another pair of pants. There were two blatant helmet to helmet collisions by aTm that should have resulted in two penalties. In both instances, the defender launched into the runner head first, and in the second one down on the goalline, I'm pretty sure AJ was already on his way to the ground. The thing that made them noth so frustrating is that both happened right in front of an official, and we've all seen hits called that were much less blatant than these. I'm not blaming this loss on the officials, but those were two of the worst non calls I've seen in a while.

3. It looked to me like AJ predetermined who he was going to throw to on the final interception. I'm not sure if it was drawn up that way, or if he just blew it, but anyone could have seen that pass coming.

4. Why is it that all of these qb's are having career days against us? First there was Mettenberger putting up numbers like he hasn't all season, and now Johnny Football puts up video game numbers on our defense. Is it luck, or are we in that much trouble?

5. There probably isn't a hotter team in college football than aTm right now, and they would have beaten anybody in the country after a performance like this one tonight. Counter that with us being beaten and bruised after one of the most mentally and emotionally taxing games in our history last Saturday against LSU, and you have a recipe for a trap game everytime.

6. Finally, I hope we return to our roots after this week. We've always had our greatest success when we've passed to supplement our run game. The past two weeks we've put to much pressure on a beat up AJ, and I do believe it cost us the game tonight.

All in all, we are still in great shape. With a little luck we still get into Miami, but even if we don't we are still set up to finish strong and play in a big bowl game. While it's not ideal, it could be a whole lot worse. Don't ever give up on Saban or this team. Roll Tide

TexasBammer

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2005
Hotlanta, Ga
I believe this was a team loss.

The team came out flat.
Burning a TO because of too many men on the field.
Problems with substitutions

OC play calling was sometimes odd
AJ goes through stretches where he can't complete passes
AJ holds the ball too long, or the receivers don't get open.
Inability to pass when line picked up the blitz
Inability to pass when the box was obviously loaded
Holding penalties

Defense doesn't get off the field and allows long drives.
Defense tackles poorly
Lack of pass rush
Running past Johnny Football on the rush
Poor pressure when blitzing, and no sacks.

Offsides on punt.
Three turnovers.

So, we had problems everywhere.... and in all phases.

Yet, we still had a chance to win with 40 seconds left.

ATM played well and deserved the win.

Bob Minton

1st Team
Dec 4, 2011
Aggies played one amazing quarter, to their credit. Beyond that, we gave it to them. We fumbled when we had all the mo, but the play before a better throw is a TD, Cooper had to stop and wait. Underthrew Bell a bit on the last big play too or he may score. Not awful throws, but just not quite good enough. AJ's missed some the last couple weeks, maybe being dinged up is taking it's toll? He played ok, just need a hair more. Still, from the 6 you have to run the ball don't you? Put Jesse in their run 4 times if you have too and kill the clock to boot. We came out flat, that target on the back and the LSU game took their toll.

Last edited:

crimson lady

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 7, 2009
killen, al
Hope this hasn't been covered, but my head is hurting too badly to read through every post tonight. Was I the only one thinking the whole game, Where is Amari Cooper? IMO best hands on the team and I think he got one, maybe two balls. I might could see it if he simply could not get open, but he has proven that he can beat defenders even when mismatched.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
That was a tough one to swallow, but there is a lot to play for, this is just 1 loss and I really don't see us dropping out of the top 5 and there is the SEC Championship game which may give us a bounce. K State does not have the luxury of this since the Big XII has none. We will be fine, just need to pick up or chins and get ready for Western Carolina and then Auburn

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I didn't get a chance to watch the game because I had to work late, although I did manage to see the final 8 minutes. There are a few things that stood out to me from what I saw, and here they are.

1. I want to tip my hat to A&M and Coach Sumlin for this huge win tonight. They played a whale of a game, and they proved to everybody that they are a valuable addition to the SEC. Well done rookies, well done.

2.The officials must have been doing laundry before the game, or they left their flags in another pair of pants. There were two blatant helmet to helmet collisions by aTm that should have resulted in two penalties. In both instances, the defender launched into the runner head first, and in the second one down on the goalline, I'm pretty sure AJ was already on his way to the ground. The thing that made them noth so frustrating is that both happened right in front of an official, and we've all seen hits called that were much less blatant than these. I'm not blaming this loss on the officials, but those were two of the worst non calls I've seen in a while.

3. It looked to me like AJ predetermined who he was going to throw to on the final interception. I'm not sure if it was drawn up that way, or if he just blew it, but anyone could have seen that pass coming.

4. Why is it that all of these qb's are having career days against us? First there was Mettenberger putting up numbers like he hasn't all season, and now Johnny Football puts up video game numbers on our defense. Is it luck, or are we in that much trouble?

5. There probably isn't a hotter team in college football than aTm right now, and they would have beaten anybody in the country after a performance like this one tonight. Counter that with us being beaten and bruised after one of the most mentally and emotionally taxing games in our history last Saturday against LSU, and you have a recipe for a trap game everytime.

6. Finally, I hope we return to our roots after this week. We've always had our greatest success when we've passed to supplement our run game. The past two weeks we've put to much pressure on a beat up AJ, and I do believe it cost us the game tonight.

All in all, we are still in great shape. With a little luck we still get into Miami, but even if we don't we are still set up to finish strong and play in a big bowl game. While it's not ideal, it could be a whole lot worse. Don't ever give up on Saban or this team. Roll Tide
Really fair assessment.

I get the frustration with end of the game playcalling, but lot of mistakes all around. I don't have it in me to play Nuss the way a lot of folks are. I'm not convinced we get the six yard running anymore than passing.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
I get the frustration with end of the game playcalling, but lot of mistakes all around. I don't have it in me to play Nuss the way a lot of folks are. I'm not convinced we get the six yard running anymore than passing.
The frustration from the playcalling started way before the end of the game. The last series is just the most memorable.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.