Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar
    My Mood
    Brooding on TideFans.com

Re: Commit To The Run, and We Win

Quote Originally Posted by imauafan View Post
    I would like to see him for a few plays in each game regardless if it is a blowout or not. We've always used 3 and sometimes 4 backs in previous years but the past couple of years we've developed a tendency to only use 2 backs in tight games.
    The scouting on Drake is that he is a little slow picking up the pass blocking scheme.
    Fair enough. Put him in and smash the ball.

2. Advertisement

The last 2 games we have been a throw first, run second team. Running the ball successfully has won us 2 championships in the last 3 years. Why abandon the run now? I just dont understand why we've become a pass first team.

Our team is NOT built to get into shoot outs with other teams. We are built to be a ground and pound, time of possession and low turnover type team.
    Last edited by BAMAccounting10; November 10th, 2012 at 07:42 PM.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one yelling at the TV, "Run the Ball!" Expletives removed, of course.
    TiderB is President

Quote Originally Posted by TiderB View Post
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one yelling at the TV, "Run the Ball!" Expletives removed, of course.
    I literally yelled that almost every single play we were on offense. I just dont understand it. Im not a coaching mastermind or anything but even Ray Charles can see that we're running the ball successfully and for whatever reason we abandon it and force the throw with AJ.

BamaNation Scout Team paralagrat's Avatar

I have to completely agree. Score in one of the last 4 plays and we have a good chance of holding them off. There was no need to even consider passing. That erases everything up to that point that went wrong if you score.

BamaNation Second Team

Maybe the coaches were shying away from running. Lacy got his bell rung and may not have been totally able. Yeldon had already fumbled on a crucial drive. We have a heisman trophy caliber qb, a great group of receivers, and a great o-line that had protected good all day so maybe thats why they were choosing to pass.

I do agree about wanting to run the ball down their throat though, but coaches may have not felt to confident at the time is all I'm saying.

we do have some good wrs. ithougt our goal was to call balanced offense to keep our opponent off balance. however, we did just the opposite for the past two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAccounting10 View Post
    The last 2 games we have been a throw first, run second team. Running the ball successfully has won us 2 championships in the last 3 years. Why abandon the run now? I just dont understand why we've become a pass first team.

Our team is NOT built to get into shoot outs with other teams. We are built to be a ground and pound, time of possession and low turnover type team.

BamaNation All-American TexasTideFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedStar View Post
    Yes we made some mistakes throughout the game, but forget those for a second.

It was first and goal from the 6. The game was on the line, nothing previous mattered at that point. On 1st and goal from the 6, we only ran the ball once. That is ATROCIOUS playcalling. Unbelievably bad. You run it 4 times, you'll get in the endzone on one of those carries.
    Agree 1000%. When you have our O-line, why?

Quote Originally Posted by bradley30 View Post
    Maybe the coaches were shying away from running. Lacy got his bell rung and may not have been totally able. Yeldon had already fumbled on a crucial drive.
    We got away from the run way before any of that. It started on the first series of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by brutetough View Post
    we do have some good wrs. ithougt our goal was to call balanced offense to keep our opponent off balance. however, we did just the opposite for the past two weeks.
    I agree. Today we lost the Time of Possession battle, Turnover battle and Rushing Yards battle. Texas A&M had 15 more rushing attempts than we did. To me, that is unacceptable. Not bad for a "Big 12" team.

BamaNation First Team

It is like we tried to be the big 12 team today....even some of the called runs were finesse runs. Scratching my head on this.
    In Alabama, you better be for football or you might as well leave. PWB

BamaNation Scout Team yellurhammur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedStar View Post
    Yes we made some mistakes throughout the game, but forget those for a second.

It was first and goal from the 6. The game was on the line, nothing previous mattered at that point. On 1st and goal from the 6, we only ran the ball once. That is ATROCIOUS playcalling. Unbelievably bad. You run it 4 times, you'll get in the endzone on one of those carries.
    I'm friggin' screamin' that from the mountaintop!!! Don't forget throwing on first down time after time. When we ran on first down, it seemed we had much better luck.

This consistent "pass on 1st down" business started with the BCS NC game last year. It worked extremely well that night. But AJ has been off in his passing ever since the injury that was called a back bruise. If Alabama had just run the ball about 10 more times in the second half of tonight's game, we would have won.