Questions on Ref's Calls

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
The front page on ESPN right now has a BLATANT hold on CJ that did not get called. Not sure of the play's outcome, but the head-to-head hit and the offside call were bad calls IMO.

The one thing I will say about the offside call is that it looked as though we had the return on, so why are we jumping into the neutral zone anyway and forcing the officials to make a call?
I saw the same article. All I could do was shake my head and move on.

BFANLC

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
In a dream world
The front page on ESPN right now has a BLATANT hold on CJ that did not get called. Not sure of the play's outcome, but the head-to-head hit and the offside call were bad calls IMO.

The one thing I will say about the offside call is that it looked as though we had the return on, so why are we jumping into the neutral zone anyway and forcing the officials to make a call?
Link?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Ritter also called the 2009 LSU game. The Tigers remember Patrick Petesin but everyone forgets the safety LSU got on us that never should have been. The LSU guy had his foot on the end zone & the ball should have been on the 20, not the one.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
There was a third down run that JM ran and I thought we went out of bounds (pushed), with the ball in his left (outside) hand, before the marker. It was ruled a first down and Bama did not challenge.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
There was a third down run that JM ran and I thought we went out of bounds (pushed), with the ball in his left (outside) hand, before the marker. It was ruled a first down and Bama did not challenge.
Know the play you're referencing. That is one area that the super fast hurry up offenses are bad for the refs. A&M was lined up before the replay official could have reviewed the play.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
OTOH I thought we god several favorable spots. I don't know that any of the ones I noticed were incorrect, it was just that all except the one I mentioned above went our way - Lacy going out of bounds for one. Lacy's TD for another (did he lose control of the ball?) I think Amari was out of bounds right at the marker.

bradley30

1st Team
Sep 9, 2009
Oxford, AL
I'm more upset over the two Head-to Head calls that got overlooked...
Thank you. Lacy and McCarron hit head-to-head, but we get flagged for it. It's all about consistency. You either call it both ways or don't call it at all.

Offsides penalty=Referees shouldn't determine the outcome of the game- but it's not like they couldn't throw their flag on that one.

Cr1msoN4life

3rd Team
Nov 21, 2010
I'm more upset over the two Head-to Head calls that got overlooked...
Yes I agree completely. Even the last holding call against Barret was questionable to say the least, all he did was push him to the ground. This had to be the worst officiated game ive seen in a long time...Totally inconsistent, and an embarrassment to the conference.

Gandalff

2nd Team
Mar 28, 2012
Santa Marinella, Italy
Offsides penalty=Referees shouldn't determine the outcome of the game- but it's not like they couldn't throw their flag on that one.
I think they called a neutral zone infraction, that is a referee evaluation (if the offense mouvement was determined by the defense). An offside should be flagged after the snap and the play goes on letting offense decide to decline it or not after the play.

Bamatide44

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 26, 2009
I think they called a neutral zone infraction, that is a referee evaluation (if the offense mouvement was determined by the defense). An offside should be flagged after the snap and the play goes on letting offense decide to decline it or not after the play.
Ritter didn't relay the infraction correctly. Didn't he say offsides? Either way, the aggies were coached to immediately move if a Bama player jumps. They didn't have much to lose if it was called on TAMU. I just hope the line judge is told the call was incorrect due to the reaction of the TAMU players. It was a sell job and Ritter should have been more conscious of that fact.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
We lose when Tom Ritter does our games more than any other crew. Holding was occurring regularly. It was why Johnny could run around for so long. Even with that, wehad our opportunities and blew them. Run the dedgum ball dang it.
Yes you are right!

I do not like this team & told my wife we are in trouble at the start.

Gandalff

2nd Team
Mar 28, 2012
Santa Marinella, Italy
Ritter didn't relay the infraction correctly. Didn't he say offsides? Either way, the aggies were coached to immediately move if a Bama player jumps. They didn't have much to lose if it was called on TAMU. I just hope the line judge is told the call was incorrect due to the reaction of the TAMU players. It was a sell job and Ritter should have been more conscious of that fact.
It cannot be an offside before the snap. They whistled and stopped the action because they judged that D mouvement startled O. A defensive player inside the neutral zone before the snap is not an infraction.

I agree that it was a bad call. D mouvement was not that deep and direct towards the O player to make him move. It should have been called a false start.

Anyway, it was a referee judgement and we should take it as it was. Referees are sometimes good sometimes bad, but usually if they are bad they are bad for all.

When I played rugby in my youth, they always coached us to play above all, and if a referee call determined a L it was our fault that we put ourselves in that position. "If we are well ahead of them, no ref can save them"..... words of my coach at the times :)

Last edited:

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
"Bugeyes" is my derrogatory nickname for Mr. Ritter, and I wish his crew would never call another Bama game (not based on just this one, but from years of observation). That said, other than picking and choosing the head-to-head calls between Swopes, who could get up and party after being hit to Lacy, who had to be guided to the sideline.
I especially was pleased with their persistence to let our guys make defensive subs and letting the DBs get a little physical with the bigger WRs without getting snippy on interference (save the offensive call on the Ags that was actually pretty questionable.)

Thanks for clearing up the two toes = one foot on the interception. I hated to admit it, but it was obvious the guy's right toes came down in green before going out.

We lose when Tom Ritter does our games more than any other crew. Holding was occurring regularly. It was why Johnny could run around for so long. Even with that, wehad our opportunities and blew them. Run the dedgum ball dang it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.