Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Recipes

Re: Problems with our defense past two games

Quote Originally Posted by Bamafan P.T. View Post
    I'll add that IMO Our defensive philosophy and use of packages really has hurt the last two weeks. Lsu's style kept Mosley ( our best defender) off the field too much last week. And tonight we struggled getting personnel in at times. Running players on and off like that only contributes further to the fatigue they got from a&m 's frenic offense. It's who we are and what we do but its hurt the last two weeks
    I don't think it hurt, because we did each sub in response to an offensive substitution of theirs - and we took our own sweet time in doing it. That's our right under the rules and we slowed the game down measurably in doing it...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    In fact, I thought - won't re-watch until tomorrow - that the lack of a real penetrating rusher was more at fault than our DBs. (Any DB is toast after five seconds or so.)
    Agreed 100%. The lack of a penetrating rusher is causing us to blitz safeties and leave the secondary more exposed. I'm really surprised that even the blitzes haven't always resulted in much pressure the last couple of games.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

What is hurting our defense? Our offense not sustaining drives
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

FB | REC Moderator

I'll add that the 2012 dime groupings are not quite as fast as has been the case in recent seasons . That said , a consistent pass rush would help the DB's out a LOT .
    "I know there's tremendous expectations here for what you would like to accomplish with this football program . I can tell you that however you feel about it , I have even higher expectations for what we want to accomplish . I want to win every game we play ." - Nick Saban 1/4/07

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Our defense from last season would have not fared much better. What I wouldn't give to see TR back at RB. Or even Julio Jones at the WR.
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

BamaNation Hall of Fame Jessica4Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by theballguy View Post
    What is hurting our defense? Our offense not sustaining drives

True, but our defense not being able to get off the field on third down is very alarming.
    So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. - 2 Corinthians 4:18

To worship You, I live
    To worship You, I live
    I live to worship You. -
    Israel Houghton

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I think I posted earlier that a staff member told a close friend of mine that, if we lost just one DB, we were not going to be in play for the NCG. Well, that happened tonight and I thought the replacement stepped up and gave a good account. In fact, I thought - won't re-watch until tomorrow - that the lack of a real penetrating rusher was more at fault than our DBs. (Any DB is toast after five seconds or so.) On offense, AJ is playing really hurt. I don't think that should be a real surprise to anyone...
    You make a valid point about about our lack penetration has really hurt us as well..That's the reason we've seen open WR's all year long..The longer the QB is able too hold the ball..It's impossible for our DB's to keep the WR's from getting open..What do you think needs to be done to improve our DLine penetration Earle..

BamaNation First Team

Our defense from last season would have not fared much better.
    Earlier I was thinking just the opposite. I think having a real 'stud' on D would make a huge different (Hightower, Barron, Upshaw). This team doesn't seem to have one. I think last year's D would have fared better.

BamaNation All-SEC

Our defense from last season would have not fared much better.
    Upshaw & Hightower would have helped a lot.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

I've "heard" for several years now that CNS' defense doesn't produce many sacks from the defensive line. But I've got to say. We really, really need to get better at developing players who can penetrate the backfield on passing downs. We just cannot expect our secondary to cover that long. I know natural pass rushers don't grow on trees and in many cases it is an art rather than something taught. But you'd think as much talent as we recruit on the defensive side of the ball we'd luck up and hit one every few years. But seems like we can't get one.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Quote Originally Posted by TideMan09 View Post
    You make a valid point about about our lack penetration has really hurt us as well..That's the reason we've seen open WR's all year long..The longer the QB is able too hold the ball..It's impossible for our DB's to keep the WR's from getting open..What do you think needs to be done to improve our DLine penetration Earle..
    Recruit...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CraigD View Post
    Earlier I was thinking just the opposite. I think having a real 'stud' on D would make a huge different (Hightower, Barron, Upshaw). This team doesn't seem to have one. I think last year's D would have fared better.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffAtlanta View Post
    Upshaw & Hightower would have helped a lot.
    I agree 100% with both of ya..This years D just doesn't seem like we have anyone that's truly stepped up into the leadership role like Barron, Rolo, Hightower, Javy did in the last few years..

FB | REC Moderator

Recruit...
    Yep . It wouldn't hurt to sign a couple of players who are 20 lbs. lighter and a little bit quicker .
    "I know there's tremendous expectations here for what you would like to accomplish with this football program . I can tell you that however you feel about it , I have even higher expectations for what we want to accomplish . I want to win every game we play ." - Nick Saban 1/4/07