Problems with our defense past two games

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You are used to having a defense that bails out a weak offense, but every once in a while the offense has to deliver the goods. The last 2 weeks, your offensive game plans have been more exposed than your defensive weaknesses, IMO. After aTm got up 20-0, your defense shut them down. Their only TD after that point was after an Alabama fumble on a drive that looked like might give you the lead - the fumble inspired them and dejected your defense - but they still gave you a few more chances to pull out a victory.

Your offense had every opportunity to take control of the game. Your defense gave them the ball back with a chance to take the lead many times. The defense, even on an off day, was good enough to win.

Alajambama

2nd Team
Jul 25, 2012
Fyffe, AL
The offense and defense have complimented each other quite well until the last couple of games. The offense can't stay on the field and the defense can't get off the field. The defense wears down and gives up points causing the offense to get out of the game plan of running the clock and they have to try to score quick points. They feed off of each other. When things are going well for one unit, they seem to go well for the other. The opposite holds true as well.

EscaTider

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2008
Flomaton, AL
Bamabuzzard summed it up perfectly.

I'd also add that the quick 3 and out series by the offense has allowed the opposing offenses to get into a groove.

In previous games, the offense worked well enough to keep the opposing offenses off the field enough that it was hard to build up any rhythm.
Nail, meet hammer. I think the inconsistency of the offense, particularly in the first quarter yesterday, has had a lot to do with the defensive problems. Many have said, on this very forum no less, that the offense would have to make up for the growing pains of a young defense. For the most part it has done so. The past two games not so much. If anything, maybe this convince AJ that he could use another year of college ball.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
From a diagnostic point of view we just aren't athletic enough at DB. We really needed to recruit a Dre Kirkpatrick and we have failed to do that. Belue is good but he's short, Fulton just isn't that good yet, If Milliner goes pro this season I think it could be worse next season. I think you'll see a MASSIVE push in recruiting to land some tall, fast corners. We aren't the worst defense out there but Manzel is that rare player that negates any game plan. I watched Doug Flutie torch Alabama at Legion Field, I believe Manzel is better than Doug Flutie right now. Without him we beat A&M worse than Miss St.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
You can't have 6 or 7 three & outs by our offense & expect the D to stay up especially against a fast pace offense.
i know AM did not have a bye but remember they Lost 2 games. This was their Super Bowl.

We are tired, banged up, very young & no real leader stepping up on that side of the ball. We just can't get off the field on 3rd down.

Best example 3 & 9 almost have our hands on the QB & he runs untouched for first down.

Say what you want but I think this team misses Gentry more than anyone who left for the NFL, he may not have made the play but he made things happen.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
I agree with those who have said that the lack of drives by the offense goes hand in hand with the poor play of the defense over the last two games.

But I would add a point to consider.... We are lacking that true DB for one of Nick Saban's favorite defense, the nickel package. In years past, the "Star" has been a true corner-back. This year we are utilizing three safeties and only two cornerbacks. That extra safety in the nickel has typically been Vinnie Sunseri. He is a fantastic tackler but not so great at man-to-man coverage.

BAMAccounting10

3rd Team
Oct 1, 2010
Problems with our defense:

-PHYSICALITY--I have never seen our defense play so soft and miss so many tackles.
-Composure--the hurry up offense confuses and freaks out our staff and players.
-Pass Rush--We are having glaring problems getting to the quarterback.
-Inside Line Backer--Drop off in talent: We do not have the big bad Rolando McClain or Donta Hightower at ILB.
-Corner Back--John Fulton has been picked on all year. Hes tried hard, but other teams see him as a weakness.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
i was really impressed by the coaching and execution of the a@m team. no turnovers, helter skelter offense. no fear. freshman qb, big receivers. tall and stout first team defensive players. if you look at the recruits last year and this, you see mostly 3 stars, and some 4 stars. yet they are playing at a different level. i think a lot of teams will be scrambling for dual qbs now more than ever. they sure change the defense image. we will need smaller, quicker outside linebackers to combat the hurry up offense. we have the hybrids now dual de, linebackers outside. a little too slow against these teams. when lester, and sunseri are in at safety they are at risk. we have one legitimate corner in milliner, and one safety in lester. otherwise our guys are so young, and not ready yet. if you look back on the season, we have not played a solid qb led team until now. i dont know if aj is hurt so much, as he plays the game manager role to perfection. i am sure he would prefer to throw a few balls downfield more. we never do until either behind, or desperate. we had open receivers all over the field, and we could not hit them except twice. our offense is sputtering, we run well for a while and then throw the 3 or 4 yard dink pass. we are not getting first downs. aj had plenty of time to pass. his off line blocked great on passing downs. he chose on several occasions, to run and gain one or two yards instead. i really believe we have the talent to go out there and pass from the beginning and establish that early and then the run would be a big factor. i am so tired of seeing a game manager qb at bama. how do you get a qb like manziel, and complement him with 3 star talent in a coaches first year.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
All pretty much correct. Also, we have people playing who are just not well enough to be playing, but they have to because there's just too much drop-off in ability behind them. Some of them are really key people, also. One of the key components in any championship run is injury luck and we just haven't had it this year. I had to chuckle at your use of the verb "drug." It's an old Germanic strong verb (meaning it just doesn't add "ed" to form the past tense). In German, it's still strong - "Trag," "Trug." In English, it's in transition to weak, which is the normative mode for strong verbs. In most of the country, it's become "dragged," but in the South, "drug" still holds on..
On offense AJ, Lacey, Cooper are all beat up. On defense Millner went out at least once. I don't remember seeing Perry a lot and I'm sure others are beat up too. That said, any chance we sit a bunch of these guys for W Carolina and AU the next 2 weeks?

I know they all want to play but, a week off next week and possibly a 2nd week for some could be what the doctor ordered. We can beat WCU & AU with Blake/Phil @ QB, Yeldon & Drake at RB and receivers besides Cooper. I'd rather beat WCU 31-7 & AU 27-10 and have these guys healthy for UGA than win 63-0 & 48-0 and have these guys hobbled for UGA.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
On offense AJ, Lacey, Cooper are all beat up. On defense Millner went out at least once. I don't remember seeing Perry a lot and I'm sure others are beat up too. That said, any chance we sit a bunch of these guys for W Carolina and AU the next 2 weeks?

I know they all want to play but, a week off next week and possibly a 2nd week for some could be what the doctor ordered. We can beat WCU & AU with Blake/Phil @ QB, Yeldon & Drake at RB and receivers besides Cooper. I'd rather beat WCU 31-7 & AU 27-10 and have these guys healthy for UGA than win 63-0 & 48-0 and have these guys hobbled for UGA.

I figure we will get our starters out early, and some may not even play this week. I could see Cooper resting this week. We will beat WCU handily, and we should beat AU pretty good. In an ideal world, our starters would rest most of the second half of the barn game.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
You are used to having a defense that bails out a weak offense, but every once in a while the offense has to deliver the goods. The last 2 weeks, your offensive game plans have been more exposed than your defensive weaknesses, IMO. After aTm got up 20-0, your defense shut them down. Their only TD after that point was after an Alabama fumble on a drive that looked like might give you the lead - the fumble inspired them and dejected your defense - but they still gave you a few more chances to pull out a victory.

Your offense had every opportunity to take control of the game. Your defense gave them the ball back with a chance to take the lead many times. The defense, even on an off day, was good enough to win.
well said

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

The backups just haven't stepped up enough to be able to do that...

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

Perry didn't play yesterday. He was dinged up. He tweeted about it after the game saying that it pained him to watch his teammates and not be able to help them. Said he would keep getting better and be ready to play next week.

Perry's absence may have been another reason why we went from playing 3 safeties (Lester, Sunseri, and Perry) and playing 3 corners (Milliner, Fulton, and Belue) and placing Dee at the Star position.

MegaVars

All-American
Nov 17, 2002
Warrior, AL.
IMO....
Dont'a Hightower - NFL
Josh Chapman - NFL
DeQuan Menzie - NFL
Dre Kirkpatrick - NFL
Mark Barron - NFL
Courtney Upshaw - NFL

Others that were major contributing factors to last years NC
Nick Gentry
Jerrell Harris
Will Lowery
Alex Watkins
Chris Jordan

That's a lot of folks to have to replace on the defense & special teams....all the talent in the world can't beat some of the leadership that came from this group of guys..... just my 2 cents. :)

lincoln_osiris

1st Team
Feb 11, 2009
We lose speed when the nickel and dime dbs are safeties. Last year having three quality corners and depth at safety could keep alot of speed on the field. And a guy like Barron, as dominant and versatile as he is, could even play line backer at times. Like others said we lost a ton of talent from last years defense. A&M is one of the top 5 offenses in the country. They executed perfectly and are well coached. There is reason the SEC has 7 or 8 teams in the top 25. Lots of good teams down here, and we are just starting to play the best ones.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
We lose speed when the nickel and dime dbs are safeties. Last year having three quality corners and depth at safety could keep alot of speed on the field. And a guy like Barron, as dominant and versatile as he is, could even play line backer at times. Like others said we lost a ton of talent from last years defense. A&M is one of the top 5 offenses in the country. They executed perfectly and are well coached. There is reason the SEC has 7 or 8 teams in the top 25. Lots of good teams down here, and we are just starting to play the best ones.
Landon Collins will turn into that. Nowhere near that right now though

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.