Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Administrator &
    Editor-in-Chief

Article Texas A&M wrap-up: Manziel, sloppy Bama play combine to nix title hopes

Texas A&M wrap-up: Manziel, sloppy Bama play combine to nix title hopes
    by Jess Nicholas
    TideFans Editor-In-Chief
    November 11th, 2012 12:28 AM

I don’t usually write any column in the first person – it’s considered bad journalistic form – but I feel compelled to at least begin this column in such fashion while wrapping up this game. . Because there’s no way to accurately describe Johnny Manziel without [...]

Read More Here
    Last edited by BamaNation; November 11th, 2012 at 05:20 AM.
    Jess Nicholas
    Editor-In-Chief
    TideFans.com

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Re: Texas A&M wrap-up: Manziel, sloppy Bama play combine to nix title hopes

Title says it all...smh.

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    Angelic on TideFans.com

Just to many mistakes made...
    Live your life like you wish you had.

Thank you for the write up. I should have listened to you earlier when you thought a close game and gave their QB and wr's the upper hand. So true.
    Roll Tide

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Nailed it. Thanks Jess.
    RTR

BamaNation All-American Clubfitter's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Agree with Kyallie. Title sums it up. Thanks for your objectivity.
    “What happened yesterday is history. What happens tomorrow is a mystery. What we do today makes a difference - the precious present moment.”
    Coach Nick Saban.

BamaNation All-SEC

Spot on. Hard to explain the sloppiness and lack of intensity in the last two weeks. Hope the Tide finds its groove before heading to Atlanta, because Georgia seems to be firing on all cylinders. Bama's a better team all around but has not played like it in the month of November. Maybe it's a good thing the SECCG is on December 1st!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!

BamaNation First Team

Thanks Jess.

What Manziel brings is fabulous play you can't scout, so you have to "debug" him on the field. You can watch tape all you like, but you'd have to practice against a Shaolin monk in a skinsuit covered in axle grease. For the defense it's like releasing a software package you've never executed even once. You'll be embarrassed for a while. Most teams were being embarrassed for four quarters, ours for one quarter only, after which A&M became just a good team but very beatable.

After that it was the poor Alabama execution that you listed. Remove just one turnover and we win. Give us the helmet-to-helmet call on AJ or Eddie that was called on us, and we win. Etc, etc. So I'm mostly disappointed that we couldn't manufacture just one more play, or execute the plays that we had with our accustomed discipline.

I tended to feel that the team is extremely beat up with injuries right now. Even if not considered a legitiment excuse, it is a reason. the DL doesn't close running lanes as quickly as they once did. They seem a step slower. The OL doesn't blow open holes as they did. It may have been LSU that did the most physical damage. If the team knows what kind of shape they are in, then the skill guys appear to take more chances to get the completion or the extra yard. Hence the mental mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeIslandRed View Post
    I tended to feel that the team is extremely beat up with injuries right now. Even if not considered a legitiment excuse, it is a reason. the DL doesn't close running lanes as quickly as they once did. They seem a step slower. The OL doesn't blow open holes as they did. It may have been LSU that did the most physical damage. If the team knows what kind of shape they are in, then the skill guys appear to take more chances to get the completion or the extra yard. Hence the mental mistakes.
    What is the team psychology: Been #1 ALL season and serves as a Huge TARGET to all teams they play. It's hard to get players up for Every game. However, it's not hard to get a team up that's playing the #1 team in the country. It's like the Tide didn't know what hit them in the first quarter. So, was the Tide beat up physically, mentally and emotionally?

What is Alabama's strength? the running game
    Not 2nd guessing Coach Saban or the OC, but if our strength is our OL and our running game, I would have run the ball on 1st down, 2nd down, 3rd down and 4th down if needed on that last drive. I also saw the SWEAT coming off Fluker's face at the end of the last drive. He looked very tirrrred!

The officials called Off-sides on Bama on that series. Do you call off-sides when the person moves but is NOT off-sides? That ended my last hope of a punt return by Christian Jones and or AJ taking the Tide down the field as quickly as last week.

I haven't even looked at how good Western Carolina is but it may be a difficult task to get the Tide up for them. Hopefully, we will put them away quickly so AJ can sit and let Sims get some playing time.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

BamaNation Second Team tidegrad92's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Great writing as always Jess. I loved (and laughed) with your description which said "he was scurrying around like a squirrel high on methamphetamine."

Roll Tide and let's rebound with the next two regular season games and "fight on, fight on, fight on" to Atlanta!
    "If wanting to win is a fault, as some of my critics seem to insist, then I plead guilty. I like to win. I know no other way. It's in my blood."
    Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Proud third generation graduate of THE University

BamaNation All-American CoastGhost's Avatar
    My Mood
    Amused on TideFans.com

Great dissection and article but the title? ...

Texas A&M wrap-up: Manziel, sloppy Bama play combine to hobble title hopes

fify

My Mood
    Cynical on TideFans.com

As it did against LSU last week, Alabama seemed too eager to abandon the run, which is a sin to begin with,
    I'll never understand why we did that As a result, they had the ball 5 more minutes than we did.
    Last edited by Bamaro; November 11th, 2012 at 04:39 PM.