Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Texas A&M wrap-up: Manziel, sloppy Bama play combine to nix title hopes

I have always thought a qb that is a threat to run is better when the pass protection breaks down. A drop back passer only is dead in the water when protection breaks down.

2. Advertisement
    Administrator &
    Editor-in-Chief

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CoastGhost View Post
    Great dissection and article but the title? ...

Texas A&M wrap-up: Manziel, sloppy Bama play combine to hobble title hopes

fify
    Because in my opinion, Bama is done. In terms of the BCS title, that is; SEC title is obviously still very much in play.

I don't expect more than one of the other three unbeaten teams to lose, and even that is a 50/50 bet at best (USC over Notre Dame). I think KSU blows out the rest of its schedule, Texas included. As for Oregon, Oregon State frequently gives them problems when the Beavers should honestly have no right to do so, but the Ducks have a title in front of them if they just keep winning and Chip Kelly is good at keeping them focused.
    Jess Nicholas
    Editor-In-Chief
    TideFans.com

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Yeah, Oregon has some defensive injuries though that might allow Stanford to make some headway. Still, Stanford is pretty shaky at the QB position this season. They made a change at QB this weekend and he performed decently but still young and mistake prone. Oregon State, I feel, doesn't really have a shot...maybe playing in Corvallis will help the Beavers. Oregon's best shot at losing may be catching UCLA or USC in the championship game.

Of the three undefeated teams, KSU and Notre Dame are probably the two we need to be making our prayers over. Texas hasn't won a big game seemingly since the 2009 RRS game, so putting a lot of hope in them is hard to do. They are more purely talented than KSU though...so maybe they can put it together for one night. Alabama has handled the pressure of being highly ranked well over the years...people forget that these schools who aren't accustomed to being a frontrunner can falter under that pressure. Notre Dame is going to lose to USC. It's in the coliseum and I fully expect the Senior Night motivation at the end of a disappointing season to inspire them. They might not be able to win a title, but they can end somebody else's run in their last home game.

Ultimately, I'm more worried about Auburn right now. We have to beat them to make the SECCG and we certainly don't look good enough to even beat UGA right now much less worrying about scenarios where we catch Oregon, ND, or KSU.

FB | REC Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't be totally shocked to see either K-State or Notre Dame go down, but I doubt we get both. I don't see anyone touching Oregon in the Pac-12. Hopefully I'm wrong, but the fact is we've just got to stop choking away games late in the year and then hoping we'll get enough catastrophe everywhere else to get back into it. Just handle your own business and the rest is a non-issue, but we haven't been able to do that the past three years.

All in all, the past two weeks to me we have been exposed a bit. Lot of respect for our guys because they have played very hard, but I do think they are in over their heads a bit in terms of experience and depth, and it finally caught up with us. Hopefully we can improve in the final couple of weeks, but for now all of these people who keep talking about these BCS dreams need to just calm down. If we play in Atlanta like we have the past two weeks, we're not even getting through Georgia.

BamaNation All-SEC RhodeIslandRed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Alabama will be a different team in January after a month off healing up all of those injuries. Just like after the 2009 season, the team facing Alabama will be wondering what hit 'em.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BigEasyTider View Post
    Wouldn't be totally shocked to see either K-State or Notre Dame go down, but I doubt we get both. I don't see anyone touching Oregon in the Pac-12. Hopefully I'm wrong, but the fact is we've just got to stop choking away games late in the year and then hoping we'll get enough catastrophe everywhere else to get back into it. Just handle your own business and the rest is a non-issue, but we haven't been able to do that the past three years.

All in all, the past two weeks to me we have been exposed a bit. Lot of respect for our guys because they have played very hard, but I do think they are in over their heads a bit in terms of experience and depth, and it finally caught up with us. Hopefully we can improve in the final couple of weeks, but for now all of these people who keep talking about these BCS dreams need to just calm down. If we play in Atlanta like we have the past two weeks, we're not even getting through Georgia.
    I feel pretty good that ND is going to lose in the Coliseum. ND hasn't played a team that can really put on points like USC. After that we're hoping for Oregon to just get unlucky in a shoot out and Texas to play well in a big game for the first time in 3+ years. In that regard, it is something that we can think about in the back of our mind as fans but I'm more worried about beating our biggest rival to seal the division title then playing a team that is frankly far more complete than us in Atlanta.

Georgia is kind of the amalgamation of what we've seen the last two weeks. They've got the scheme and depth at tailback of LSU with the QB-receiver combo of TAMU. Granted, Aaron Murray is not the greased pig Manziel looked like against us...but they can get into base personnel like LSU and pass it around effectively like TAMU. If the last two weeks are any indication, it would take massive improvement for Alabama to defend well enough to win. This is before considering the issues UGA's defense presents. They've underperformed at times but they've started gelling after some early suspensions. Their defense is about in the same tier personnel wise as LSU's and their offense is in the same tier as TAMUs.

The problem to me is that it is November not September. When we fell to South Carolina in 2010, I had hope that we could improve enough to have a back door shot at the SECCG and BCSCG. I didn't really materialize but the defense did come together to a degree but injuries kind of hurt the month of November. It is middle of November, we've got to ride through with what we've got at this point. The secondary might improve but how much can we improve with two more weeks before the SECCG week?

FB | REC Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    I feel pretty good that ND is going to lose in the Coliseum. ND hasn't played a team that can really put on points like USC. After that we're hoping for Oregon to just get unlucky in a shoot out and Texas to play well in a big game for the first time in 3+ years. In that regard, it is something that we can think about in the back of our mind as fans but I'm more worried about beating our biggest rival to seal the division title then playing a team that is frankly far more complete than us in Atlanta.

Georgia is kind of the amalgamation of what we've seen the last two weeks. They've got the scheme and depth at tailback of LSU with the QB-receiver combo of TAMU. Granted, Aaron Murray is not the greased pig Manziel looked like against us...but they can get into base personnel like LSU and pass it around effectively like TAMU. If the last two weeks are any indication, it would take massive improvement for Alabama to defend well enough to win. This is before considering the issues UGA's defense presents. They've underperformed at times but they've started gelling after some early suspensions. Their defense is about in the same tier personnel wise as LSU's and their offense is in the same tier as TAMUs.

The problem to me is that it is November not September. When we fell to South Carolina in 2010, I had hope that we could improve enough to have a back door shot at the SECCG and BCSCG. I didn't really materialize but the defense did come together to a degree but injuries kind of hurt the month of November. It is middle of November, we've got to ride through with what we've got at this point. The secondary might improve but how much can we improve with two more weeks before the SECCG week?
    Texas has to the potential to take down K-State based on raw talent alone, though I wouldn't bank on it. Odds are they finish up 12-0 and play in Miami against Oregon.

Think some people are just putting far too many eggs into the USC basket. It's a 7-3 Lane Kiffin-led team that got knocked around by Rich Rod, zero depth, and frankly if they were that good they would be in contention themselves. ND might trip up against them because the Irish aren't that good, but none of that matters unless K-State loses too. In any event, I don't see any way USC takes down Oregon, they just don't have the defensive depth to hold against that scheme over 60 minutes.

As for UGA, it's a tough bunch, admittedly. When they are on -- as I would expect them to be against us -- they are as good as anyone in the country. They will be a lot of trouble for us, frankly. As bad as McCarron has been, the UGA defense will force him into a long night, and if Mett can pick apart the UA secondary, you better bet that Murray can too. Not exactly feeling bullish about that Grantham v. Nussmeier match-up after the past couple of weeks, either.

We'll see what happens with us, but I wouldn't bank too much on further improvement. When you're eleven weeks into the season, you are what you are, and unlike 2010, injuries hasn't been a major issue this season on defense (in fact, we've been remarkably healthy on defense). We've just got to get a lot better level of play out of the kids we have back there, and that may not come until next season. In hindsight, I think Saban was pretty on-point about his concerns with this team even in the pre-season: We've got a lot of guys who are playing key roles without a lot of experience.
    Last edited by BigEasyTider; November 11th, 2012 at 10:37 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Yep, that is the problem at this point. It's not like a fire under a tail or light turning on will make Sunseri a step faster nor make Fulton the consistent 3rd corner we need. We are what we are at this point. The best we can hope for is that we do what we already do well a little better and that makes up the difference.

FB | REC Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Yep, that is the problem at this point. It's not like a fire under a tail or light turning on will make Sunseri a step faster nor make Fulton the consistent 3rd corner we need. We are what we are at this point. The best we can hope for is that we do what we already do well a little better and that makes up the difference.
    Biggest issues we had in 2010 were complacency and injuries, neither of which have been a problem this year.

Moving into next year, we've just got to develop Landon Collins and hope the light finally goes on for Clinton-Dix, who continues to take bad angles and make bad decisions when tracking the ball. Would love to get Milliner back for another year, but that won't happen, so we're going to be need very big senior seasons out of both Belue and Fulton, and hopefully get Geno Smith and Bradley Sylve to develop into quality nickel and dime players.

BamaNation First Team marcusroby's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

With it being obvious that LSU and TAMU, had schemed well against our defense, it will be interesting to see if there is a shift personnel for coach Saban. I think teams have given up traditional running games against us. Quick passes and the occasional run into the interior to keep the safeties honest appears to be the way to go. This defense works a high percentage of the time but in college football there is not much room for error. Jess, do you feel that too much emphasis has been placed on the passing game in order keep the appearance of being explosive?

FB | REC Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marcusroby View Post
    With it being obvious that LSU and TAMU, had schemed well against our defense, it will be interesting to see if there is a shift personnel for coach Saban. I think teams have given up traditional running games against us. Quick passes and the occasional run into the interior to keep the safeties honest appears to be the way to go.
    We might have further changes in the years ahead (likely, in all honesty), but we've changed a lot in recent years regardless. People talk about the 3-4, but the truth of the matter is that we've been a 4-2-5 base for several years now.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

People in the know don't talk about Saban's Jack LB in base...they talk about his Star (nickel back) in the 4-2-5/3-3-5 look. It is the difference maker position in this defense: a guy who can play some robber zone like a safety, hold up in man against interior receivers, and often a blind side blitzer too. Look at Arenas in 2009: I believe he had more TFLs and sacks than INTs that season. This team lacks that kind of player this season. Milliner is probably the best option for star but he's too valuable on the perimeter of the defense it seems. We moved him inside Saturday and it forced more outside throws but we gave up one too many for the hole we dug in the first 15.

Dixon leaving for personal reasons put us into a bind. Milliner would have more than likely played star this year with the two JUCO transfers playing field and boundary in 5 DB. Sunseri would have played Dime emulating some of Barron's hybrid LB/S roles. More than any of the camp or in-season injuries, Dixon's departure affected things the most with Fowler being a distant second.
    Last edited by rgw; November 12th, 2012 at 09:31 AM.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

How much did Jarrick Williams' injury hurt us?