Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 36
  1. #14
    BamaNation First Team jenk56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    368
    My Mood
    Suspicious on TideFans.com

    Re: Why has our offense been so inconsistent recently?

    Maybe AJ is not 100% but who is at this point in the season...AC missed practice time with an ankle injury the week of LSU so their timing had to suffer. Saturday, we had too many mistakes both physical and mental types and thats why we lost. We outgained TAM even though they won the time possession battle. This is the same coaching staff that put together that flawless drive against LSU so I find it hard to believe that they forgot how to breakdown a defense within a weeks timeframe. We didn't play well enough on that day to win, congrats to TAM. We will be fine, on both sides of the ball and as a team overall.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #15
    BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Argo, AL, St Clair
    Posts
    3,089

    Re: Why has our offense been so inconsistent recently?

    Combination of some injured players, having been pushed out of our game plan two weeks in a row, and to some degree the offensive coordinator is still learning about life in the SEC. McElwain had to go through that process as well. They just got to work through it.
    BS 1989

  4. #16
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Anniston, Alabama
    Posts
    8,519
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

    Re: Why has our offense been so inconsistent recently?

    Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Our offense isn't that complex to defend. It's not like the spread or the hurry up offenses that neutralize the defenses' strengths. Bama plays old school football to line up and beat the opponent. If the opposition has the players and scheme, they can beat Bama. There's a reason not many teams don't run Bama's offense. The other style offenses cheapen the game IMO. Just line up and beat your man. Instead, these teams want to run offenses that spread a defense out to weaken the defense.
    I understand what you're saying..I don't agree that it cheapens the game..That's the point of the spread..It tires out the D trying to stop it..It's up to our coaches & players to adjust to it to stop it..JMO

  5. #17
    BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    4,449
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Why has our offense been so inconsistent recently?

    In short I think we have a lot of nagging injuries.

    But the play calling with first down on the 6 really confused me.

  6. #18
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Posts
    9,055
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

    Re: Why has our offense been so inconsistent recently?

    because we have stopped running the ball and lost our balance on offense. Against LSU Yeldon and Lacy both averaged over 7 yards per carry in the first half but we stopped giving them the ball in the second half.
    Saturday we were very effective straight up the gut and absolutely almost stopped completely again.
    For our passing game to be effective we have to be able to run play action passes. Unless we've actually been running the ball it doesn't work.
    Sometimes I think we out smart ourselves. Let's get back to what we do best and we'll be fine.
    Let's put it this way, how many times have you ever heard an opposing coach say, "We have to somehow stop McCarron?"
    No..they say, "To beat Bama we have to stop their running game."
    Lately they haven't had to because we've made it easy for them by not running the rock.
    JMO
    sip

  7. #19
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,077

    Re: Why has our offense been so inconsistent recently?

    Quote Originally Posted by bamaslammer View Post
    Combination of some injured players, having been pushed out of our game plan two weeks in a row, and to some degree the offensive coordinator is still learning about life in the SEC. McElwain had to go through that process as well. They just got to work through it.
    But this was not SEC that he was dealing with. This was more Big12.

  8. #20
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Posts
    7,433
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

    Re: Why has our offense been so inconsistent recently?

    Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption22 View Post
    Aj is not 100% which makes a 39-26 pass-run ratio more mind biggling
    Agree. Before seeing this I was going to say AJ's back and questionable play calling.

  9. #21
    BamaNation All-American crimsonkelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Sylvester, GA, USA
    Posts
    2,628
    My Mood
    Cool on TideFans.com

    Re: Why has our offense been so inconsistent recently?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    because we have stopped running the ball and lost our balance on offense. Against LSU Yeldon and Lacy both averaged over 7 yards per carry in the first half but we stopped giving them the ball in the second half.
    Saturday we were very effective straight up the gut and absolutely almost stopped completely again.
    For our passing game to be effective we have to be able to run play action passes. Unless we've actually been running the ball it doesn't work.
    Sometimes I think we out smart ourselves. Let's get back to what we do best and we'll be fine.
    Let's put it this way, how many times have you ever heard an opposing coach say, "We have to somehow stop McCarron?"
    No..they say, "To beat Bama we have to stop their running game."
    Lately they haven't had to because we've made it easy for them by not running the rock.
    JMO
    sip
    This ^^^
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

  10. #22
    BamaNation All-SEC mlh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,748

    Re: Why has our offense been so inconsistent recently?

    I agree that it may have to do with AJ not being 100%, AC not being 100%, and our playcalling favoring the pass over the run. But we can't overlook the fact that LSU has one of the best, if not the best defense in the nation, and aTm is also a very good team. The competition we've faced in the last 2 games has been the biggest factor. Our offense was cruising up until then.

  11. #23
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Vinings, ga., usa
    Posts
    8,317
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Why has our offense been so inconsistent recently?

    I wonder if Yeldon's fumble palyed a part in us not running near the goalline?
    Due to the current workload, the light at the end of the tunnel will be temporarily turned off.

  12. #24
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Posts
    7,433
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

    Re: Why has our offense been so inconsistent recently?

    Quote Originally Posted by mlh View Post
    I agree that it may have to do with AJ not being 100%, AC not being 100%, and our playcalling favoring the pass over the run. But we can't overlook the fact that LSU has one of the best, if not the best defense in the nation, and aTm is also a very good team. The competition we've faced in the last 2 games has been the biggest factor. Our offense was cruising up until then.
    And if I may add that our offense has not been able to feed off of the defense so much. Partially psychological, but our offense usually goes in after a somewhat quick, successful, momentum sustaining, lead sustaining defensive series. This has not been the case these past weeks. This probably has caused a little turmoil that has effected the offense.

    Our team is spiritually led by our defense, it was this way with Coach Byant, Coach Stallings and now coach Saban. When our defense is off, the whole ship goes down.

  13. #25
    BamaNation All-American TexasTideFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Kingwood, TX
    Posts
    2,734

    Re: Why has our offense been so inconsistent recently?

    Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    I wonder if Yeldon's fumble palyed a part in us not running near the goalline?
    I doubt it. You have maybe the best O-Line in the country and you don't run blows my mind. If I was calling plays that night, I would have called a Time Out after that bomb from AJ and told our line that you have 4 running plays to confirm to us as coaches and to the rest of the free world that you can motorgrade these guys back to College Station. I doubt anyone would have complained if we at least tried.

  14. #26
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Tuscaloosa
    Posts
    1,596
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

    Re: Why has our offense been so inconsistent recently?

    Quote Originally Posted by Really Big Bama Fan View Post
    Perhaps McCarron is still not 100% from his injuries?
    While I do think he has been a little off since the back injury, I do not think that is the only thing that is a problem. We clearly miss Fowler who was a devastating lead blocker. I don't think we do anything but run from the 5 with Fowler in the lineup. We also miss Hart to lesser extent. He was a 3rd down specialist and gave us a change of pace. We have also lost D white who gave us another option. All of those injuries have maybe forced to be something we are ill suited to be, A passing team. We just are not and should not be a pass 1st offense.

    It doesn't happen often, but I think we were outcoached in this one.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!