Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team Bama By Birth's Avatar

Re: Manziel Statistical Split: 1st Quarter Compared to the Last 3 Quarters

He's 19 years old. Think of that for a second. Coming into Bryant-Denny stadium and performing like he did. That is the loudest I have heard it at the stadium. I was impressed with the velocity on his passes and his receivers hanging on to those "fastballs"
    ' How did I know you went to Auburn? I saw your class ring when you were picking your nose."

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Disciple View Post
    14-20 passing for 167 yards
    With all due respect, BD, I think you're deluding yourself quite a bit here. We stopped the run a bit better (though his first quarter runs really go back to a couple of long scampers), but the pass numbers in the final three quarters are horrendous. Maybe not quite as bad as the first quarter, but really bad nevertheless.

14-20 for 167 means that during that stretch he completed 70% of his passes and averaged roughly 8.5 yards per attempt. If a QB does that over the course of the entire year, he likely wins the Heisman. And that is also not counting the fact that those 20 throws includes a touchdown, or that the six incompletions were far closer to being completions than turnovers for the defense.

I'm not going to gripe about the defense, because those guys gave it all they had, but the fact was they just didn't have anything for Manziel. We were going to have to beat them in a shoot-out, and the offense just couldn't quite get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by bamacon View Post
    ...and ZERO turnovers in all four.
    That's how LSU beat them. LSU made them turn the ball over but we didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by h2o View Post
    LSU just flat-out stopped Manziel cold in the passing game. They intercepted three passes and forced 27 incompletions.

We didn't even come close to a single pick, and at the rate we went we would have needed to play him for a solid month to reach 27 incompletions.

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    The kid is a sandlot wimp.
    Seriously? LOL.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation First Team Bama By Birth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by h2o View Post
    I heard one of the ESPN Radio guys pick Bama because "Alabama does not beat itself with turn overs. That's why they win this game".
    ' How did I know you went to Auburn? I saw your class ring when you were picking your nose."

BamaNation First Team Bear Disciple's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BigEasyTider View Post
    With all due respect, BD, I think you're deluding yourself quite a bit here. We stopped the run a bit better (though his first quarter runs really go back to a couple of long scampers), but the pass numbers in the final three quarters are horrendous. Maybe not quite as bad as the first quarter, but really bad nevertheless.

14-20 for 167 means that during that stretch he completed 70% of his passes and averaged roughly 8.5 yards per attempt. If a QB does that over the course of the entire year, he likely wins the Heisman. And that is also not counting the fact that those 20 throws includes a touchdown, or that the six incompletions were far closer to being completions than turnovers for the defense.

I'm not going to gripe about the defense, because those guys gave it all they had, but the fact was they just didn't have anything for Manziel. We were going to have to beat them in a shoot-out, and the offense just couldn't quite get it done.
    I agree the passing stats were still impressive, that was my point in the OP that him putting up those passing stats but only scoring 9 points proved that we were able to contain his running ability and get off the field on 3rd down much better than our previous 5 quarters.

Some of his throws were so good that they were indefensible, and he played a phenomenal game and I in no way meant to discount that, I merely think the stats show that our original gameplan combined with whatever adjustments were made after the 1st Quarter were more than enough to win the football game had we been able to execute for 60 minutes. But we did not, and Manziel took advantage of nearly our every mistake, and that was enough for them to win the football game.

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

We actually had more yards of offense than A & M. However, 3 turnovers killed us. Also, some no-calls for some blows to the head. First down on the 6 yard line calls for 4 power running plays, not 2 pass plays. In the 1st quarter our ends lost containment. We should have kept fast defensive ends in the game or used linebackers.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Jack Bourbon's Avatar
    My Mood
    Persnickety on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Amazing how a guy that carries the ball as loose as Manziel doesn't fumble more.
    He did fumble in our game. He just happened to recover it and throw it for a touchdown. To my bitter chagrin and shock.

Wimp? The only time I recall him running out of bounds was when he was racing a db or linebacker to the first down marker. There were many plays where he put himself in jeopardy by refusing to go down.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Disciple View Post
    I agree the passing stats were still impressive, that was my point in the OP that him putting up those passing stats but only scoring 9 points proved that we were able to contain his running ability and get off the field on 3rd down much better than our previous 5 quarters.

Some of his throws were so good that they were indefensible, and he played a phenomenal game and I in no way meant to discount that, I merely think the stats show that our original gameplan combined with whatever adjustments were made after the 1st Quarter were more than enough to win the football game had we been able to execute for 60 minutes. But we did not, and Manziel took advantage of nearly our every mistake, and that was enough for them to win the football game.
    I agree that he played some fine football and made some throws in very tight windows. FWIW I think the defensive performance improved down the stretch, though it basically just went from horrendous to really bad. Adjustments aside, we're just going to have to get better edge and DB play before we can really stop him.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    He looked great - until he got hit.
    He looked great - until he got schemed.

For all of the second-coming fanfare, it took Alabama exactly one quarter to figure this guy out. If the offense had stepped up for just one drive, and given the DC a chance to make adjustments and the defense to catch breath, there is every probability that the first quarter collapse would not have happened. This is not to blame the offense, AJ or Nuss or anyone else. aTm's defense completely sold out for Q1 and got the stops it needed while aTm's offense was hot.

Manziel is an overachiever but he is just one guy. Even Jess's gushing post-game analysis mentioned that NFL coaches will not know what to do with him, and that is because good defenses figure out dual-threat QBs and make them more one-dimensional. Alabama has a good defense, and I'm not ready to concede the SEC West for the next 3 years.

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by DrollTide View Post
    He looked great - until he got schemed.

For all of the second-coming fanfare, it took Alabama exactly one quarter to figure this guy out. If the offense had stepped up for just one drive, and given the DC a chance to make adjustments and the defense to catch breath, there is every probability that the first quarter collapse would not have happened. This is not to blame the offense, AJ or Nuss or anyone else. aTm's defense completely sold out for Q1 and got the stops it needed while aTm's offense was hot.

Manziel is an overachiever but he is just one guy. Even Jess's gushing post-game analysis mentioned that NFL coaches will not know what to do with him, and that is because good defenses figure out dual-threat QBs and make them more one-dimensional. Alabama has a good defense, and I'm not ready to concede the SEC West for the next 3 years.
    I'm going to give our staff enough credit to say that they had him figured out ahead of time. It's not like the guy did anything differently than he normally does. IMO, our defense was not prepared for their speed. Once we caught up to the speed of the game on defense, we pretty much held them in check. Unfortunately, those first three drives just killed us.
    RTR