Page 1 of 11 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 132
  1. #1
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Posts
    7,433
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

    Faster tempo offense question. Causing confusion?

    Seems like about the time coach Saban mentioned his dislike of the no huddle offense that opponents started getting their plays off quicker. LSU seemed to have the first two series pre set and confused our defense. We we're fortunate to fight off that initial charge

    Am I imagining that we are having more difficulty getting players in and out and getting set? I have good basic football knowledge I am more familiar with coverage than at the line and especially the audibles from run to pass ect.

    I think this loss will help us. We will still win the SEC imo. It got too big and the pressure on the players was enormous. Comapring us to an NFL team.

    Any answers to the questions appreciated.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #2
    Moderator Ldlane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Shonto, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    11,148
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

    Re: Faster tempo offense question. Causing confusion?

    This is just a case where offenses are starting to change to meet the harsh reality of great defenses. Great Defensive minded coaches will figure this out in a couple of years and it drive more innovation. One thing that bothers me is our reliance on subbing constantly for different packages. Just put our best on the field instead of platooning. Just my 2 cents.
    Football changes and so do people. - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

  4. #3
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Posts
    7,433
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com
    Thread Starter

    Re: Faster tempo offense question. Causing confusion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ldlane View Post
    This is just a case where offenses are starting to change to meet the harsh reality of great defenses. Great Defensive minded coaches will figure this out in a couple of years and it drive more innovation.
    I realize that. I am talking more specifically about LSU and aTm's game plan against us compared to the teams prior to the LSU game.
    Not overall college direction., but game plan due to a perceived found vulnerability. Maybe I am imagining it, but haven't we had a couple of substitution penalties too?

  5. #4
    Moderator Ldlane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Shonto, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    11,148
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

    Re: Faster tempo offense question. Causing confusion?

    Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    I realize that. I am talking more specifically about LSU and aTm's game plan against us compared to the teams prior to the LSU game.
    Not overall college direction., but game plan due to a perceived found vulnerability. Maybe I am imagining it, but haven't we had a couple of substitution penalties too?
    You have to have the personnel to do that sort of stuff and only a few do have that sort of talent, conditioning, etc.....
    Football changes and so do people. - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

  6. #5
    Moderator Ldlane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Shonto, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    11,148
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

    Re: Faster tempo offense question. Causing confusion?

    As an aside, I expect UGA to approach the SEC Championship Game in this fashion.
    Football changes and so do people. - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

  7. #6
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Posts
    7,433
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com
    Thread Starter

    Re: Faster tempo offense question. Causing confusion?

    Some sort of personnel strategy trickery is in play........I think.

  8. #7
    BamaNation All-American IMALOYAL1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Birmingham AL
    Posts
    2,895
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

    Re: Faster tempo offense question. Causing confusion?

    It's obvious our defense has a problem with the HUNH

    If they can't learn to stop it, we'll see more of it.

  9. #8
    BamaNation Second Team
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    85

    Re: Faster tempo offense question. Causing confusion?

    I'm very confident that Bama would/will be prepared for such an offense if we have a month to do so. We should have the depth and talent.

    I am falling in line with the notion that we don't have a good pass rusher in this defensive scheme.

  10. #9
    Moderator Ldlane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Shonto, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    11,148
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

    Re: Faster tempo offense question. Causing confusion?

    I think we have some of the best defensive minds on our staff, and if they can't get it figured between now and then it might have to be something that is worked on during off-season. It might be as simple as a phone call to teams that face that sort of stuff all of the time.
    Football changes and so do people. - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

  11. #10
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Posts
    7,433
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com
    Thread Starter

    Re: Faster tempo offense question. Causing confusion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bamatide44 View Post
    I'm very confident that Bama would/will be prepared for such an offense if we have a month to do so. We should have the depth and talent.

    I am falling in line with the notion that we don't have a good pass rusher in this defensive scheme.
    Not to get into who we don't have, but Clowney would have been a star from day 1. We need a couple of those. Don't want to go back to the 4-3, but I miss the 6-5 240 lb defensive end recruits sometimes.

  12. #11
    Moderator Ldlane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Shonto, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    11,148
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

    Re: Faster tempo offense question. Causing confusion?

    The thing is if we don't have the personnel to fit the scheme, we are going to have to change the scheme to fit the personnel. When you "almost" get to the QB on a blitz, bad things usually happen on the defensive side of the ball.
    Football changes and so do people. - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

  13. #12
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Greenbow, Alabama
    Posts
    8,968

    Re: Faster tempo offense question. Causing confusion?

    I'll bite, but you and just about everyone on here will not like my opinion, that's okay.

    The kind of offense we saw yesterday is the future of college football. It is being taught and run at high schools across the country and that's what kids want to be a part of.
    It is designed to create confusion, personnel mismatches, and getting playmakers in space. It requires speed over bulk.
    To defense it you have to have similar type players more speed less bulk.
    I have seen over the past several years the lack of overall team speed in our defense.

    Now for Alabama. We have had the benefit of a weak schedule, the only 2 teams we have played with any semblance of an offense has been LSU and TAMU. We should win out because WCU and au are terrible, but right now I don't think we beat UGA. My reason for picking UGA is that Alabama now knows they can be beaten and when doubt sets in anything can happen. I hope I am wrong and we win the SECC, but his team is not nearly as good as the 2011 team. Now to don my flak jacket.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

    "The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

  14. #13
    Moderator Ldlane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Shonto, Arizona, United States
    Posts
    11,148
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

    Re: Faster tempo offense question. Causing confusion?

    Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I'll bite, but you and just about everyone on here will not like my opinion, that's okay.

    The kind of offense we saw yesterday is the future of college football. It is being taught and run at high schools across the country and that's what kids want to be a part of.
    It is designed to create confusion, personnel mismatches, and getting playmakers in space. It requires speed over bulk.
    To defense it you have to have similar type players more speed less bulk.
    I have seen over the past several years the lack of overall team speed in our defense.

    Now for Alabama. We have had the benefit of a weak schedule, the only 2 teams we have played with any semblance of an offense has been LSU and TAMU. We should win out because WCU and au are terrible, but right now I don't think we beat UGA. My reason for picking UGA is that Alabama now knows they can be beaten and when doubt sets in anything can happen. I hope I am wrong and we win the SECC, but his team is not nearly as good as the 2011 team. Now to don my flak jacket.
    You are exactly right! In fact, I saw them line up in the A-11 once or twice(Flag was thrown on one however). People on this board laughed when I brought up the A-11 a couple of years ago. However, it is more widely accepted and now being designed to fit the NCAA.

    Last edited by Ldlane; November 11th, 2012 at 10:42 AM.
    Football changes and so do people. - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!