Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Jessica4Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Faster tempo offense question. Causing confusion?

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I'll bite, but you and just about everyone on here will not like my opinion, that's okay.

The kind of offense we saw yesterday is the future of college football. It is being taught and run at high schools across the country and that's what kids want to be a part of.
    It is designed to create confusion, personnel mismatches, and getting playmakers in space. It requires speed over bulk.
    To defense it you have to have similar type players more speed less bulk.
    I have seen over the past several years the lack of overall team speed in our defense.

Now for Alabama. We have had the benefit of a weak schedule, the only 2 teams we have played with any semblance of an offense has been LSU and TAMU. We should win out because WCU and au are terrible, but right now I don't think we beat UGA. My reason for picking UGA is that Alabama now knows they can be beaten and when doubt sets in anything can happen. I hope I am wrong and we win the SECC, but his team is not nearly as good as the 2011 team. Now to don my flak jacket.
    Nothing to get flamed over. It is true that that type offense will be more prevalent in years to come. I also could see us losing the SECCG if we don't get some things fixed. Murray could very well hurt us even though he really isn't as mobile as Manziel. I figure we beat the barn pretty easily to get to the SECCG, but our coaches need to figure out what is wrong with our defense in the next few weeks, and hopefully our players can execute. I fully expect to see teams from here on out do hurry up as it seems to gives us problems. We are not as good as last year especially on defense, but this team has done a great job so far this season. More than some fans expected.
    Last edited by Jessica4Bama; November 11th, 2012 at 10:39 AM.
    So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. - 2 Corinthians 4:18

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TideFan in AU's Avatar
    Almost close enough to the pasture to smell it!
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I'll bite, but you and just about everyone on here will not like my opinion, that's okay.

The kind of offense we saw yesterday is the future of college football. It is being taught and run at high schools across the country and that's what kids want to be a part of.
    It is designed to create confusion, personnel mismatches, and getting playmakers in space. It requires speed over bulk.
    I have seen over the past several years the lack of overall team speed in our defense.

Now for Alabama. We have had the benefit of a weak schedule, the only 2 teams we have played with any semblance of an offense has been LSU and TAMU. We should win out because WCU and au are terrible, but right now I don't think we beat UGA. My reason for picking UGA is that Alabama now knows they can be beaten and when doubt sets in anything can happen. I hope I am wrong and we win the SECC, but his team is not nearly as good as the 2011 team. Now to don my flak jacket.
    Do you think our 2011 defense would have yielded the same results in the last 2 games as this defense has? Your whole post is basically saying we have scheme/personel (size) problem, but then you finish it by saying we are not as good as last year. Which is it?

Edit: I will say I do agree that the days of winning consistently with bad offenses and great defenses are over. The PPG have been rising in CFB and the NFL for years, so this is nothing new. The same scheme and coaching that produced one of the best defenses in the modern era of CFB just last year is not the problem. Both of the last 2 games came down to mistakes made by our secondary on the most part. In fact, if we had smaller, faster DL and LB's last week, there's NO WAY we would have beat LSU.
    Last edited by TideFan in AU; November 11th, 2012 at 10:55 AM.
    “And the roses in this grand ol’ stadium are once again Crimson!” - Eli Gold, Jan 7th, 2010

Alabama wasn’t just dominating Monday night. They were some word that has yet to be invented in the English language. - Aaron Torres, Jan 10th, 2012

"If this was a prize fight, they'd call it off!" - Brent Musberger, Jan 7th, 2013

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica4Bama View Post
    Nothing to get flamed over. It is true that that type offense will be more prevalent in years to come. I also could see us losing the SECCG if we don't get some things fixed. Murray could very well hurt us even though he really isn't as mobile as Manziel. I figure we beat the barn pretty easily to get to the SECCG, but our coaches need to figure out what is wrong with our defense in the next few weeks, and hopefully our players can execute. I fully expect to see teams from here on out do hurry up as it seems to gives us problems. We are not as good as last year especially on defense, but this team has done a great job so far this season. More than some fans expected.
    I think our problem on defense is what we thought it might be in the preseason. We lost a NT, 3 LB's, and 3 DB's to the NFL. Our level of competition and some good performances have masked it, but what some of us feared has come true. Its surprising that we have done as well as we have with losing that many starters. With that said, the defense has played well enough to win every game. They have made crucial stops at the end of the last 2 games to put in postion to win.
    “And the roses in this grand ol’ stadium are once again Crimson!” - Eli Gold, Jan 7th, 2010

Alabama wasn’t just dominating Monday night. They were some word that has yet to be invented in the English language. - Aaron Torres, Jan 10th, 2012

"If this was a prize fight, they'd call it off!" - Brent Musberger, Jan 7th, 2013

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

I agree this team has done a great job this year and we can still win the SEC, but some repairs need to be made with both the offense and defense. Murray is not Johnny Manziel, IMO he is a lot better QB than Mettenberger. UGA's defense has improved and they will certainly play their best game of the year in Atlanta.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Quote Originally Posted by Ldlane View Post
    I think we have some of the best defensive minds on our staff, and if they can't get it figured between now and then it might have to be something that is worked on during off-season. It might be as simple as a phone call to teams that face that sort of stuff all of the time.
    yeah, I'm expecting that saban has an answer for this next season
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation All-American dWarriors88's Avatar

We struggled with the no huddle offense against Ole Miss, when they scored. And again when LSU got hot. TaM just ran it perfectly, I guess. I still think the two turnovers in our own RedZone is what did us in.

I think had we been in the Championship game, against Oregon. We would have lost our first National Title game in a very long time.
    At Some Places They Play Football.
    At Alabama, We LIVE It.

"...Ain't nothin' but a winner."

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by dWarriors88 View Post
    We struggled with the no huddle offense against Ole Miss, when they scored. And again when LSU got hot. TaM just ran it perfectly, I guess. I still think the two turnovers in our own RedZone is what did us in.

I think had we been in the Championship game, against Oregon. We would have lost our first National Title game in a very long time.
    Maybe, but Oregon's defense is nowhere near what LSU and TAMU's is, and we would have had a month to prepare and get healthy. I wouldn't just give them the crystal football so easy.

I agree this team has done a great job this year and we can still win the SEC, but some repairs need to be made with both the offense and defense. Murray is not Johnny Manziel, IMO he is a lot better QB than Mettenberger. UGA's defense has improved and they will certainly play their best game of the year in Atlanta.
    I've never seen Murray play better than Mettenberger did last Saturday...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

BamaNation All-American

there were times yesterday that we could barely get our players in position before the snap much less actually know where the ball was going. that's the purpose of the no huddle hurry up approach. add to it that our scheme is heavily reliant on having certain personnel packages at certain times, and we get stuck with the wrong players on the field. last night we got torched in the passing game and pretty well blown up through the air against lsu. there's no question that our defense is at its weakest against highly mobile quarterbacks and our tackling has steadily eroded over the last two games. be it exhaustion, lack of focus, or whatever, our defense is kind of a mess. and still, we were in position to win the game last night and although not deserving, probably should have with a 1st and goal on the 6. i'm actually very confused by our team right now. but we can still have a great season. before the season started i said i wanted to win the SEC title and that the NC would be gravy. we just need to focus on clobbering auburn and beating georgia.

I agree with you, but believe it can be stopped with a hybrid of the current crop of superior athletes and one or two specialized. Our first warning signs that we could get beat with quicker players was the WKU game. We had fits against the speed. Fluker had some issues with a guy that looked more like a HS lineman. He would just run around the end like a sprinter coming off the blocks at the sound of a gun. We posted an additional blocker, like the H-back on double team this particular scheme later in the year.

Again, smaller faster players can be neutralized without a radical change in our personnel imo, just a speed vs tweak at a couple of positions. If not, the defensive front would get flattened.

We have done o.k against no huddle, but the added personnel last minute changes is hurting us from what I've seen. aTm had a good game plan. We have been confused for 2 games now.

Good thing is that we control our destiny towards a SEC Championship and our coaches usually get things straighten out. I know they are concerned and are putting in extra time I bet. The SEC Championship is a big deal.
    Last edited by CapstoneTider; November 11th, 2012 at 11:54 AM.

BamaNation All-American BamaFlum's Avatar
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

Faster tempo offense question. Causing confusion?

Long sustained drives by a methodical offense keeps the opposing offense on the sideline.
    RTR!

BamaNation All-American Tide&True's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I really hate watching teams that no huddle and look like a Chinese fire drill. If I wanted to watch a track meet I'd watch a different sport.
    "They've got a name for the winners in the world....they call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
    -Steely Dan

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tide&True View Post
    I really hate watching teams that no huddle and look like a Chinese fire drill. If I wanted to watch a track meet I'd watch a different sport.
    Baseball!

It's just around the corner!