Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    BamaNation First Team wishbonesooner's Avatar

Re: Faster tempo offense question. Causing confusion?

Quote Originally Posted by Tide&True View Post
    I really hate watching teams that no huddle and look like a Chinese fire drill. If I wanted to watch a track meet I'd watch a different sport.
    My feelings as well. The Big 12 is criticized in here for not playing defense. I hated the spread and hurry up when it first came out. But it does put a defense under pressure. Much of the argument has been how well an SEC defense has performed against a Big 12 offense in BCSCG's. With a month to prepare, a good DC can scheme against it. However, if you face it game after game, it's not as easy.
    I have my standards, admittedly they're low, but I have standards!

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFlum View Post
    Long sustained drives by a methodical offense keeps the opposing offense on the sideline.
    An offense can't always have those type drives.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I don't agree that LSU and aTm are the only two good offenses we've faced this season. Ole Miss and TN both have good offenses and horrible defenses. Michigan and MSU have decent offenses as well.

I personally think LSU caught lightening in a bottle and there wasn't a whole lot we could do. aTm, on the other hand, is a different story. Our defenses throughout the Saban era have struggled against up-tempo, spread offenses that employ really good dual-threat QBs. Yesterday, our defense (for whatever reason) was clearly not ready at the start of the game. Injuries, LSU hangover, impromper preparation, whatever, their offense took a page right out of the Utah 2009 Sugar Bowl playbook and kept our defense on their heels for the entire first quarter. By the time the coaches got them settled down and made adjustments, the damage was done.

I've been amazed the last two weeks at the amount of arm-tackling by our defense (and not wrapping up and finishing plays), which usually is a sign of fatigue or just a basic lack of speed and quickness. I agree with the thought that this type of offense is here to stay and our staff has got to figure out how scheme against it better. I'm also concerned that - for all of the hype over our recruiting classes, we don't have the players on defense who can hang against this type of offense. That, or their just not in good enough shape to play at that speed.
    RTR

Part of the problem is the offense. Granted our D is not as good as last years group the offense has to get a faster start. Bama's MO is playing from ahead. When the D plays from ahead they have much more swagger and can start throwing out some exotic packages. When the offense can't score at a single point until they are down 20 - 0 that is a problem. Not sure why this team came out so heavy and flat. Reminded me 100% of the Utah game of 09. Just wasn't ready to bring it at kick off. These slow starts are a real killer. I think the D is fine. Just need the offense to start scoring some points early and stop turning the ball over.

BamaNation First Team

I noticed that the A&M offense seemed to run a "pattern" of plays during their offensive series. I haven't watched the replay to confirm, but it's just what I noticed while watching. After nearly every first down made they would immediately get to the line and run the quick hand off to the RB lined up next to the QB. This almost always got them 2-3 yards and put them in a 2nd and 7 or 8 because the defense was usually trying to get set after the move of the chains. The 2nd down play always seemed to be the quick pass to a slot receiver either on a quick slant or a quick hitch. Those passes are really hard to defend when an accurate throw is made. Most of the time we were able to make the tackle and it would put them in a very manageable 3rd and short. Ideal situation when you have a very fast, mobile QB. The 3rd down play was a pass that would give Johnny Football the option to run and pick up the 1st down. They just methodically worked this over & over right down the field.

BamaNation All-American Matt0424's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

The problem yesterday was all based on coaching decisions. WE have the perosnnel to match up with any offense, if we scheme correctly. WE tried substituting way too much yesterday. It's hard on defense to get into a rhythm when you play every other play because of subsitutions. At times it's best if you just leave a base set in and ride it out instead of trying to substitute every other play. The second thing is we failed to cover the slot or swope on most plays. When I can see it from the stands, and call the exact play they are going to run, someone getting paid the money to see it should. When we made adjustments in the second half (Vinnie was glued to the slot) suddenly A&M wasn't as near as efficient. Finally, the coaching staff left John Fulton on an island with no help all game...poor decisions. Fulton is a good player, but was being exploited and picked on by JM all game. IMO we were mismanaged once the game got under way...by the time the game plan was scrapped, and we pinned our ears back and attacked, it was a bit too late...

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFlum View Post
    Long sustained drives by a methodical offense keeps the opposing offense on the sideline.
    I think everybody is missing this point. These last two games can be blamed on our sputtering offense (see: multiple 3 and outs) as much if not more than our defense.

Sure, we have had some trouble getting off the field on D, but the D did enough to give our offense multiple chances to win the game last night and the offense did not come through. The bottom line is you can't go 3 and out over and over against a team with an offense as good as A&M and expect to win.
    That's the paradox of success. The moment you stop to enjoy it, you are in trouble. You have to keep moving forward. It's not what you have done that's important. It's where you are going.
    Alabama Coach Nick Saban

To be fair, the defense did only allow 29 points - that's not really a lot when you consider that Alabama's offense had 3 turnovers and couldn't keep the defense off the field.

After the 1st qtr, TAMU only scored 9 points. The defense did give up a lot of yards, but it did tighten up a good bit after then 1st qtr onslaught.

This wasn't like the 2008 UGA blackout game either. Alabama was within 6 at halftime so TAMU definitely didn't ease up.

BamaNation All-American AlexanderFan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Talkative on TideFans.com

They hurry to the line, simulate several snaps to see the coverage, look to the sidelines for adjustments, then snap the ball. There's no confusion with a defensive coverage because the offense has all the advantages.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderFan View Post
    They hurry to the line, simulate several snaps to see the coverage, look to the sidelines for adjustments, then snap the ball. There's no confusion with a defensive coverage because the offense has all the advantages.

I call them the "gopher offenses." The QB gets to the line and looks at the defense. He then looks at the sideline at the coach who gets the coverage from an assistant in the booth. The OL, WR, RB, and QB look to get the play after the coaches in the booth read the defense.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    I call them the "gopher offenses." The QB gets to the line and looks at the defense. He then looks at the sideline at the coach who gets the coverage from an assistant in the booth. The OL, WR, RB, and QB look to get the play after the coaches in the booth read the defense.
    Yeah I really don't think that fits with the culture of the game. I don't know how to fix it, but I'd like to see some order restored to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0424 View Post
    The problem yesterday was all based on coaching decisions. WE have the perosnnel to match up with any offense, if we scheme correctly. WE tried substituting way too much yesterday. It's hard on defense to get into a rhythm when you play every other play because of subsitutions. At times it's best if you just leave a base set in and ride it out instead of trying to substitute every other play.
    That's a thought. aTm might have noticed that changing from this to that takes our defense the longest to adjust to and run a quick play on top of it.

BamaNation All-American AlexanderFan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Talkative on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAtlanta View Post
    Yeah I really don't think that fits with the culture of the game. I don't know how to fix it, but I'd like to see some order restored to the game.
    Take the coaches out of the skyboxes. When you approach the LOS and the center touches the ball, that should mean no more moving for every offensive lineman, that way all this nonsense can stop.

"It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson