Faster tempo offense question. Causing confusion?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
So, we lose one game and we have to remake our defense, change the offense, recruit different type of players, change coaching philosophy, and overhaul the college rules?
LOL! You'd think we'd have to have a bit broader base of evidence, wouldn't you? :D

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
In the back of my mind I wonder if we've peaked under the present system. We have played our worst 2 game stretch dating back a pretty good ways. Probably get drilled for the thought, but we've have been riding high for an extended period. If AJ leaves, it could be a rebuilding job :)
I tend to agree. I think we know that CNS's defense is predicated on stopping the run first with the 3 down linemen taking on the blocks to free up the LBs. It has proven to be effective against run based offenses, but apparently has its limitations in the pass rush. It might be a situation where we need to give up some size to get some speed since it looks as though the spread type offense is taking over college football.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
So, we lose one game and we have to remake our defense, change the offense, recruit different type of players, change coaching philosophy, and overhaul the college rules?
Not even though. I think our defense has been reeling since the Ole Miss game. LSU and TAMU finished them. Truth is they need a two week rest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Not getting much airplay is it?
Sure it is. The rule to allow defenses to match offensive substitutions is one glaring example.

Even Bob Stoops has problems with all the chaos...

“It’s a nightmare,” Stoops said.

Stoops said he’s constantly asking the rules committee to check the obvious offensive advantage. He gave an example from last season. An opponent threw a deep ball 50 yards downfield. Incomplete. While OU’s two defensive backs hurried back to the line of scrimmage to set up for the next play, the intended receiver just stepped off the field, and his substitute, back upfield, stepped on. And the offense ran a play before the OU DBs were in place.
Right now it's not considered that big of a deal because it is seen as way to level the field with the SEC. Long term, it will damage the product. 70-63 football games are just as boring as the 148-134 NBA basketball games in the past.

Last edited:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Sure it is. The rule to allow defenses to match offensive substitutions is one glaring example.

Even Bob Stoops has problems with all the chaos...

Right now it's not considered that big of a deal because it is seen as way to level the field with the SEC. Long term, it will damage the product.
We can continue to complain about or we can be innovative and change !

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
We can continue to complain about or we can be innovative and change !

That's the key - I think we've reached a tipping point where CNS and CKS will have to make some long-term adjustments in scheme and personnel to deal with this. Might mean some changes on O as well.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Maybe your position gives you other options, but as a fan & a TV viewer all I can do is discuss it.

If it becomes a tv ratings issue, the networks will convince the college presidents to make a change.
Tell you the truth, it doesn't matter to me as an Alabama fan if I watch us run the Wishbone or the A-11. As long as we win titles! I mean, Football isn't "sacred" and from time to time needs to be innovative ! I think this is starting to be one of those times of change. Again, we wait on the world to change back and lose, or we can jump on the opportunity to find our own way to equalize the field!

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
I guess I shoulda used my eyeroll emoticon.

Even with the superior talent we had on D last year, we still lost a game. We aren't going to win every one.

We came out flat, we weren't ready, we made lots of mistakes.
We were -3 in turnovers. The offense had a bad game. Playcalling was... not up to par. Didn't make good adjustments on D.
You can say we were mentally and/or physically tired, hangover from last week or whatever.

Yet, with all that bad stuff going on, we still had an excellent chance to win it. I even say we should have one it.

You always need to make adjustments before, during, after the season and even during games.
I don't think we need to make any big changes to overall philosophy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I guess I shoulda used my eyeroll emoticon.

Even with the superior talent we had on D last year, we still lost a game. We aren't going to win every one.

We came out flat, we weren't ready, we made lots of mistakes.
We were -3 in turnovers. The offense had a bad game. Playcalling was... not up to par. Didn't make good adjustments on D.
You can say we were mentally and/or physically tired, hangover from last week or whatever.

Yet, with all that bad stuff going on, we still had an excellent chance to win it. I even say we should have one it.

You always need to make adjustments before, during, after the season and even during games.
I don't think we need to make any big changes to overall philosophy.

Yet.....:wink:
Oh, the sky isn't falling. But it's like Bball when opponents find out you can't hit the perimeter shot, everyone plays zone until you prove you can hit those shots consistently.

Last edited by a moderator:

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
When a .500 team last season from what is considered a weaker conference, with a new head coach, QB, and offense comes in your house and does this to you, it is time to think about things. The spread made even Ole Miss look good. It is just a new version of the option and makes the QB a threat. Why the best recruiting team in the nation can't come up with an excellent dual threat QB is beyond me. And knowing that Oregon was possibly on the horizon, it was time to play three CBs instead of three safeties.

Last edited:

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
When a .500 team last season from what is considered a weaker conference, with a new head coach, QB, and offense comes in your house and does this to you, it is time to think about things. The spread made even Ole Miss look good. It is just a new version of the option and makes the QB a threat. Why the best recruiting team in the nation can't come up with an excellent dual threat QB is beyond me. And knowing that Oregon was possibly on the horizon, it was time to play three CBs instead of three safeties.
That was a sub-500 team that blew every game due to coaching. They have a solid qb. An excellent head coach. A great OC and DC. Give them some credit, for Pete's sake. We didn't lose to Kentucky. That team that we played yesterday might have beaten all but the top four or five teams in America.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
These are not innovations, these are gray areas of the rules being exploited. The offense can exploit these areas because they trigger the plays.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think it is just like in a boxing match. As a fighter you force your opponent to fight "your type" of fight. If you're quick "sugar ray leonard" type boxer then you want the match to flow that way. I think we panicked and stopped trying to make the other team (LSU, Ole Miss & aTm) play our game. At one point in the LSU game we were gaining 7.2 yards per carry running the ball. Yet we don't recognize that and just continue to pound them, keeping our defense on the sidelines and theirs on the field.

The aTm game. At one point in the second half Danielson even said "You can see aTm's defense getting tired." Yet what do we do? We try to play their style game, throw the ball around and go three and out. We are a physical, power running style offense. And that is what we should do, ESPECIALLY when there are signs it is having an impact on the defense. I'd rather go three and out running the ball than three and out throwing two passes and running one time.

Just because a team runs a high tempo offense doesn't mean execution comes automatic. Their receivers have to still catch the ball. Their quarterback still has to deliver the ball on target and their offensive line still has to block. I see no reason why our offense cannot steam roll these defenses that are built for the high tempo spreads. The problem ain't scheme. It's execution. Maybe the players from these spread offenses are better at the fundamentals. They catch, block and throw the ball the right way more times than not. We don't need to over haul schemes. We just need to use some DANG COMMON SENSE and when your strength their weakness you KEEP DOING IT!!!! You don't go away from it. I digress.....

Last edited:

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
That was a sub-500 team that blew every game due to coaching. They have a solid qb. An excellent head coach. A great OC and DC. Give them some credit, for Pete's sake. We didn't lose to Kentucky. That team that we played yesterday might have beaten all but the top four or five teams in America.
They beat La Tech somewhere around 57-55. TAMU is playing very well, but Alabama has much more talent on the roster. Just shows what can happen when they spread you out and find the weakest link in coverage.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I would not object to recruiting a few speedy linemen to combat this type offense.
They don't have to be tiny, but something along the wt. of 270 should maybe make us a step faster,
yet still be big enough to take on the run.
With Offenses going to speedy no huddle Offenses, we will need to evolve toward more speed.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I've never seen Murray play better than Mettenberger did last Saturday...
I've also never seen Mettenberger play like that. I was never impressed with Zack.
Last Sat. Zack played like Stephen Garcia in his one and only great college game.
Against us no less...
Aaron Murray is a good QB, but not a great QB. I would have rated him ahead of Mettenberger before LSU played us.
NOW...

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Its like basketball. We must learn to sub our players on defense in a similar manner. Our must be able to play man to man all the time. Tamu is good at passing and defending the pass but very average at running and stopping the run because that is what they practice all the time. We simply played into their strength last night. If we just run more on first down between the tackles we win the game .

Tamu and oregon basically run like 10 plays over and over again during the game at very high tempo while you trying to figure out what is going on.

We don't need to be like them to win. Texas tech a few years back ran a very similar attack against us and we held them to 3 points. You have to keep the ball away from them - by running the football.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.